Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2015 9:23:47 PM EDT
I just read an old post where someone said he thought that the early 601 ejection port doors had a "threaded bushing" rather than a "roll pin" holding them together like he had previously thought.  I have half a dozen of the early doors, and they really look to me like they ARE held together with a roll pin.  If they are held together with a "threaded bushing", what does it look like, and how do they come apart?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno offhand, but the description makes me think of using a threaded set screw in place of the roll pin.  It'd have to be a teensy screw though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a picture of these early 601 doors? ? I'm trying to visualize these. Would like to learn more too.
Jon
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have a picture of these early 601 doors? ? I'm trying to visualize these. Would like to learn more too.
Jon
View Quote

The primary indicator of the early doors is the flat square "pad."

However, there is a difference between an "early" early door and a "later" early door.  The earliest doors have a "round" detent housing...

...while later "square pad" doors had the "angled" detent housing like the rectangular pad doors.

Based on the several samples I have on hand, the detents are all held in place by roll pins.

Unfortunately, I don't know when the change from round to angled detent housings happened.  The "later" square pad door shown loose above may have come off a 602.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Of the several dozens I've had over the years, they all had the tension pin (roll pin). However keep in mind that some old sellers ,Jerry Drasen (Nesard, Sendra comes to mind) was known for making what he needed at a time when parts were not available. . But even that doesn't make sense as roll pins can be had at any hardware store for cheap.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a few of the early ones, and I think they were original, since they came on 601 uppers.  All of the ones I've seen had the roll pins...
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
This should get pinned, good info here
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The existing tacked threads don't get updated / appended very often, it seems almost taboo to do so.  Should we just post to those threads with this kind of info or post links to threads like this?  I'm thinking this would be good info for the existing upper buyers guide: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/401263_USGI_Colt_603_XM16E1_M16A1_upper_buyers_guide_Edition_II.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The existing tacked threads don't get updated / appended very often, it seems almost taboo to do so.  Should we just post to those threads with this kind of info or post links to threads like this?  I'm thinking this would be good info for the existing upper buyers guide: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/401263_USGI_Colt_603_XM16E1_M16A1_upper_buyers_guide_Edition_II.html

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

I don't know who's running RBR, but I would think there would be enough traffic now that ads would make it some money and it could be updated.

Like BW has said before it would be nice to have a Wiki.

There is a lot of info that gets lost... example the in depth post a while back about the history of magazine contracts and development.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't know who's running RBR, but I would think there would be enough traffic now that ads would make it some money and it could be updated.

Like BW has said before it would be nice to have a Wiki.

There is a lot of info that gets lost... example the in depth post a while back about the history of magazine contracts and development.
View Quote

Ive floated that idea too, but Im not technologically gifted
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#10]
You and me both KKid.

The retro board reminds me of that saying, I've forgotten more than I'll ever know.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top