Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2015 4:31:32 PM EDT
The repop prototype FSBs that were around.  Would they work on a CMMG pencil barrel?  I have an itch to start a fantasy proto build when my first commission check comes in next month...  At first I was thinking 601 lower, trigger charger upper, and just a regular pencil barrel with a 601 flash hider (like in the Kokalis article).  Then I wonder, maybe a proto lower too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine's .625 so it should fit pencil. I'm gonna have a barrel turned down to .575 from front of fsb forward.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
KY, how does the gas tube line up with the gas port in the barrel, with the FSB being so short (front to rear)?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
KY, how does the gas tube line up with the gas port in the barrel, with the FSB being so short (front to rear)?
View Quote

I don't have the barrel yet. I'm hoping the fsb fits against back shoulder behind fsb and line up the way it should. Guess someone who's done it can chime in. I get what you're saying, just haven't got it all for mock up.

If I understand what you're saying. I might have to make a spacer. For behind fsb.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Just wondering.  If I decide to do the proto, I'll watch for an FSB.  If I go that route, it will go to John Thomas for fitting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The repop prototype FSBs that were around.  Would they work on a CMMG pencil barrel?  I have an itch to start a fantasy proto build when my first commission check comes in next month...  At first I was thinking 601 lower, trigger charger upper, and just a regular pencil barrel with a 601 flash hider (like in the Kokalis article).  Then I wonder, maybe a proto lower too.
View Quote

It will fit with no problem.  The gas port will line up fine.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

John Thomas
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas

Thanks John!  If I decide that route, and find a FSB, I'll give you a shout!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Would a proto upper drop into a modern lower?  A modern upper drop into a proto upper lower?

Edited to fix Aggieness.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would a proto upper drop into a modern lower?  A modern upper drop into a proto upper?
View Quote

It's hard to drop an upper into another upper . . . but yes, sort of.

I don't think anyone on these forums owns an original prototype, but the Nodak Prototype uppers (which are what most of us use in proto builds) are compatible with standard AR lowers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

John Thomas
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas

Now, I won't be wondering.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Everything will line up fine.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I really need one of those bipod rings.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I've done a couple and both fit great. The only problematic thing for me is that they didn't fit into the slot for the sight post nut on my FSB installation jig. That is less of a problem since I've moved up from a Sherline to a Bridgeport. I may see if I can mill one of those just for fun. So many projects, so little time, and I'm not so good to start with.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top