BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Matt, your pics of your plate and three originals....the middle pic looks like the one that belongs to a fella named Robert, and the far right one looks like it's from the ATF "gun room". Who's is the left orig.?
Also, your lower plate screw, what size is it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That plastic buffer caught my eye.  Any plans on making a run of those?  I already have a 607 build but would love to have a plastic buffer like the ones i have seen in the real 607's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That plastic buffer caught my eye.  Any plans on making a run of those?  I already have a 607 build but would love to have a plastic buffer like the ones i have seen in the real 607's.
View Quote

+1 on this.  I'd take one or two.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]

And I do have an extra partial fence NoDak lower.

Guess I aught to SBR it now.

Will these stocks be the same length as the CAR when extended?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And I do have an extra partial fence NoDak lower.

Guess I aught to SBR it now.

Will these stocks be the same length as the CAR when extended?
View Quote

Should be the same length as a type D when extended. (M16 length)
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the type B stock

Would make a sweet 607 proto build!
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love the type B stock

Would make a sweet 607 proto build!
View Quote

Yeah, but it would take balls to cut one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Isnt that what that is? ^

Maybe Im seeing things?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Looks Green to me.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks green, but looks somewhat glossy green to me, and looks like a type D, but I could be wrong. I have been wrong many times before. Many.
There aren't many pics of early proto 607s, least that I have seen. The couple in The Black Rifle, and I think they are black stocks. I'll venture a guess that the proto's were type C.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I think it's a real one he cleaned up.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks green, but looks somewhat glossy green to me, and looks like a type D, but I could be wrong. I have been wrong many times before. Many.
There aren't many pics of early proto 607s, least that I have seen. The couple in The Black Rifle, and I think they are black stocks. I'll venture a guess that the proto's were type C.
View Quote

You'd probably be right about the proto's. In the promotional images from Colt, you can see the flats along the top edge of the stock that are unique to Type A,B,and C stocks.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree real proto's were probably made with type Cs. Maybe even the real ones were? But a type B 607 stock built on a 601 lower with the handguards made from the rear instead of the front would be the tits

I have a hard time telling type C and D stocks apart from photos. I own two of each type and can tell them apart real easy in my hands but not online.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Matt, your pics of your plate and three originals....the middle pic looks like the one that belongs to a fella named Robert, and the far right one looks like it's from the ATF "gun room". Who's is the left orig.?

View Quote

Edit for clarity: Geez, you'd think I was typing with my thumbs

Its a 1/4-20 with a 5/32 key.  The specs on the screw said.480-.531 on the head. I didn't measure them, but I did take .040 off the circumference of the screw head last night and they look almost perfect.

I think the left was the ones 101ABN327 posted from the 45th ID arms room.

The Stock is a B that was in real rough shape. I was playing with Roys patent design for fun. I figured if I was him tinkering in 1963-64 it may have been a B and looked something like the patent drawing. I guess its a pro-proto

In hindsight, I may not have done it. I was actually able to repair the hole and crack with fiberglass. I had no Idea the paint on those was so resilient.  The hand guard was a lone right. Im going to cut the backend up and graft it with a black one then, paint it to look like its real also.

IMG_3141 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3139 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3109 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3108 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its a 1/4-20 with a 5/32 key. I think the head was around. The specs on the screw said.480-.531 on the head. I dint ease them, but I did take .040 off the circumference last night and they look almost perfect.

The Stock is a B that was in real rough shape. I was playing with Roys patent design for fun. I figured if I was him tinkering in 1963-64 it may have been a B and looked something like the patent drawing. I guess its a pro-proto

In hindsight, I may not have done it. I was actually able to repair the hole and crack with fiberglass. I had no Idea the paint on those was so resilient.  The handheld was a lone right. Im going to gut the backend up and graft it with a black one and pint it to look like its real also.

http://<a href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1652/24646844446_93b568b736.jpg</a>IMG_3141 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

http://<a href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1470/24305376939_8ee4cba78c.jpg</a>IMG_3139 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

http://<a href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1573/24673078305_47f67541c3.jpg</a>IMG_3109 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

http://<a href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1488/24377533780_217af899c8.jpg</a>IMG_3108 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its a 1/4-20 with a 5/32 key. I think the head was around. The specs on the screw said.480-.531 on the head. I dint ease them, but I did take .040 off the circumference last night and they look almost perfect.

In hindsight, I may not have done it. I was actually able to repair the hole and crack with fiberglass. I had no Idea the paint on those was so resilient.  The handheld was a lone right. Im going to gut the backend up and graft it with a black one and pint it to look like its real also.

http://<a href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1652/24646844446_93b568b736.jpg</a>IMG_3141 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

http://<a href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1470/24305376939_8ee4cba78c.jpg</a>IMG_3139 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

http://<a href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1573/24673078305_47f67541c3.jpg</a>IMG_3109 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

http://<a href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1488/24377533780_217af899c8.jpg</a>IMG_3108 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

That's hot

I'm not even going to buy one of these and I'm getting excited
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#16]
....luvin' it!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]
So, would these work with, say, and RRA Entry stock?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So, would these work with, say, and RRA Entry stock?
View Quote
The tubes are from a RRES. There is extensive work done to the stock to make it accept the parts though. You can use just about any stock, some are easier than others because of stock material and filler type.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its a 1/4-20 with a 5/32 key.  The specs on the screw said.480-.531 on the head. I didn't measure them, but I did take .040 off the circumference of the screw head last night and they look almost perfect.

In hindsight, I may not have done it. I was actually able to repair the hole and crack with fiberglass. I had no Idea the paint on those was so resilient.  The hand guard was a lone right. Im going to cut the backend up and graft it with a black one then, paint it to look like its real also.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too cut down a authentic green furniture for a 607 Build...just don't have a complete set of handguards.  Accidentally cut down one buttstock because it was painted black....didn't notice it until I saw brown shavings.....ugh.

Looks like some nice work.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I too cut down a authentic green furniture for a 607 Build...just don't have a complete set of handguards.  Accidentally cut down one buttstock because it was painted black....didn't notice it until I saw brown shavings.....ugh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks! I would love to see a pic yours Edwin That is horrible about the black one, I would really like to find a legitimate black set. I bet you were sick when you saw it.  It was really hard for me to cut the right hand guard, It will go to good use though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Matt

I thought maybe some fumes got to you

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Matt

I thought maybe some fumes got to you

View Quote
Ya, I don't know what happened there. I was on about cup #10 of coffee, and didn't proof read; obviously giving myself too much credit...
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I missed looking into this thread until now, and had only seen a few photos of these til recently, not really knowing what I was looking at.
Are these all spoken for already?  If there are any left I am interested in getting one.

Very impressive work and research to get it right.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm definitely going to have to keep and eye on this, always loved the 607 stock but they were long gone by the time I heard of them. Be an absolute blast to get a hold of one and I am amazed at the talent around here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I bet it could be repaired and painted... :)

live4now, Your 607 in the works is beauty. I have one in embryonic form, black furniture (my65pan).
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Here are some pics that show a few of the steps in making an end plate, a lever, and a lock rod assembly. There are many more operations in-between these stages, but these photos will allow you to see progress if you follow them left to right, top to bottom. In the side profile view you can see the rough cut, to grind/sand, to hand file/sand transition. I averaged an hour on each yesterday to cut out and shape one plate and that was before blasting.

IMG_3163 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3166 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

I decided on a philips screw in the end of the lock rod to ease in access for full disassembly. I saved a little stock weight  also to help even the balance of the rifle in the hand by taking as much as I could off the rod itself and moving it forward in the tube. This makes for a long reach with the allen wrench... In comes the screw driver I initially worried about a possible strength issue here. You will be happy to know it is stronger than the stock surrounding it... I felt like Kurt Cobain, but more emo afterwards

IMG_3167 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3171 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

Look at the difference the size of these plates. This is the most extreme example of this I have seen so far.

IMG_3186 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

Believe it or not this is the first lower that I have pinned. I did all my testing on a bolt on model platform originally and was so busy with the other operations I hadn't fooled with it yet. Very easy task. Like Hal143 said in his instructions on RBR, "Use a good sharp bit" I wold also suggest a good level vise.

IMG_3189 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3188 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3187 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#27]
See the pretty little maidens all in a row.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

See the pretty little maidens all in a row.
View Quote
I know! I want to keep them all.

Just know when you hold her, she's second hand goods
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh Boy!!! This is gunna be better than Christmas!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#30]
OMG OMG OMG
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like you are doing a terrific job.  After 6 years, my pinned 607 stock is still solid as a rock.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Looks like you are doing a terrific job.  After 6 years, my pinned 607 stock is still solid as a rock.
View Quote
That was cool to do up that tutorial on RBR. Thanks!

So funny because the first time I saw it a few years ago I was intimidated by the thought of pinning one. I wouldn't have thought in a million years I would have made one, let alone more than one. Funny how life works out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I love this thread! The struggle is real!
I may have to get one of these, I no longer have even one of the ones I made. :-(
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I may have to get one of these, I no longer have even one of the ones I made. :-(

View Quote
Thanks Pan!

I now fully understand why everyone who has done these stopped.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks Pan!

I think I can help you out, send me an email

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Pan!

I think I can help you out, send me an email

It comes around full circle.  The knowledge gets passed down generation after generation.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Those are looking good!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#37]
https://youtu.be/I-zhGXehhIA

Made a jig to check the stock works perfect before pinning.  Parallel is VERY important to prevent binding.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Thats quality!  Thanks for your attention to the details Matt. I know these will be worth the wait!

Thanks for not giving up too.  I'm sure there were at least a dozen times you wanted to just throw everything in a box and walk away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Thats quality!  Thanks for your attention to the details Matt. I know these will be worth the wait!

Thanks for not giving up too.  I'm sure there were at least a dozen times you wanted to just throw everything in a box and walk away.
View Quote
Thanks Mark! I appreciate it.

I finished a bolt on one last night too, I made the buffer tube on this one from a turned down oversized pistol tube. If you notice the rib on the tube behind the carbine lock plate is a little lower than on rifle tubes, this is why. I used Brownelles Aluma-Hyde on it and the plate. It seems like it is some pretty good stuff. The tube wasn't cured fully when I shot the video but it still didn't come off.

Here is a video of it in operation

IMG_3265 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3272 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3273 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3274 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

IMG_3285 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#40]
That is absolutely fantastic work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#41]
This thread has been so exciting to watch, but now, I'm wetting my pants.

Yes, thanks for not giving up
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Congratulations man,  job very well done!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This thread has been so exciting to watch, but now, I'm wetting my pants.

Yes, thanks for not giving up
View Quote

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Awesome work!!  

The stock is the last piece I need to finish my 607 (not counting the SBR stamp).  Do you plan on selling any of your extras?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Cool Beans Matt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome work of art, This is my last piece of the 607 puzzzle let us know when they are for sale!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Matt,

My 607 stock has just arrived.  Couldn't be more excited if it was a Daisey Red Rider BB gun with a compass in the stock!  

Aces, Matt, Aces!!!

I want to thank you again for your sticktoitivness, perseverance, and attention to detail.  This is truely a work of art and worth the wait. Second to none.

I hope your future endeavors are as good as your 607 stocks have turned out.

You'll need little advertising on these and I'll bet you'll sell out in record time.  

Now to get Victor to start accepting parts again!

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks like meticulous and accurate work, nice job. If I am understanding your process, did you fit every rear plate to its respective stock due to the variations of the Type D stock widths? Wow, I am thinking that was time consuming, I bet you are glad there is now light at the end of the tunnel. Congratulations.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Matt,

My 607 stock has just arrived.  Couldn't be more excited if it was a Daisey Red Rider BB gun with a compass in the stock!  
Aces, Matt, Aces!!!

I want to thank you again for your sticktoitivness, perseverance, and attention to detail.  This is truely a work of art and worth the wait. Second to none.

I hope your future endeavors are as good as your 607 stocks have turned out.

You'll need little advertising on these and I'll bet you'll sell out in record time.  

Now to get Victor to start accepting parts again!

View Quote

Are these for sale yet?!
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top