Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 11:03:35 PM EDT
ok, i'm just about done with my 604 clone project.. thanks to lots of the good folks in here.. hip, cal, Mr George, HK,, ect ect and some good folks on our EE. i may not have the correct bolt  as mine is parked with a chrome gas block it is a slick side though,
i have a couple questions and a need.. to finish it up
first.. i think i might have messed up the lower by making it a full slab side instead of a partial fence..  it's ok i have another 80% lower i was going to send to our Mr Braceman to make me a mattel maruader tattoo..

so here i go with my questions

#1 did a 604 have a full slab side  or partial?  also. the front take down pin.. is it the pin with the little ball to hold it in or the 2 part screw type like on SP1's??
i've scoured lots of pictures of 604's and seen some with the detent ball front pin and some with the 2 part pin and some with partial fence's and the more modern looking pins..
i have both types of large hole pins

what type of rear pin do i need?  dimpled?   and does any body have just the rear pin i need i can buy???
or i have some extra a1 parts i could trade for the correct rear pin..

thanks
Pete

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
ok, i'm just about done with my 604 clone project.. thanks to lots of the good folks in here.. hip, cal, Mr George, HK,, ect ect and some good folks on our EE. i may not have the correct bolt  as mine is parked with a chrome gas block it is a slick side though,
i have a couple questions and a need.. to finish it up
first.. i think i might have messed up the lower by making it a full slab side instead of a partial fence..  it's ok i have another 80% lower i was going to send to our Mr Braceman to make me a mattel maruader tattoo..

so here i go with my questions

#1 did a 604 have a full slab side  or partial? EARLY 604'S WERE PARTIAL FENCE LATER HAD FULL FENCE, 604 NEVER HAD A SLABSIDE LOWER also. the front take down pin.. is it the pin with the little ball to hold it in or the 2 part screw type like on SP1's??
i've scoured lots of pictures of 604's and seen some with the detent ball front pin and some with the 2 part pin and some with partial fence's and the more modern looking pins..
i have both types of large hole pins NO MILITARY RIFLES EVER HAD THE TWO PIECE SCREW, 601 AND 602 HAD THE PIN WITH DETENT, 604 HAD THE MODERN STYLE CAPTURED FRONT PIN
what type of rear pin do i need?  dimpled?   and does any body have just the rear pin i need i can buy??? EARLIER RIFLES HAD DIMPLES, LATER HAD NO DIMPLES
or i have some extra a1 parts i could trade for the correct rear pin..

thanks
Pete

View Quote

http://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/604.html

I like early partial fence 604's with chrome slick side bolt carrier groups, and three prong flash hiders.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Slab is too early imo. Im partial to a partial fence. That carrier is a early transitional.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks...  i probably should have asked these questions before i machined all the fences off the lower.. oh well i have another 80% to do a partial fence on,,, it was going to get a mattel tattoo
back to the milling machine.. lol
thanks again to everyone that helped me out with parts and info..
Pete

it does look great though with a GP sling on it..  now i just need to hit up the surplus store for some OD 100mph tape... lol
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:14:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks...  i probably should have asked these questions before i machined all the fences off the lower.. oh well i have another 80% to do a partial fence on,,, it was going to get a mattel tattoo
back to the milling machine.. lol
thanks again to everyone that helped me out with parts and info..
Pete

it does look great though with a GP sling on it..  now i just need to hit up the surplus store for some OD 100mph tape... lol
View Quote

You can template the "S curve" (area below the removed mag release fence) from the opposite side of the receiver. Some folks don't remove this area, and some folks do it freehand, neither look right. IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:59:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Member scottgreen45 sells real dimpled pins, singles or sets...... I have been dealing with him for years, he's GTG.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks Hip
Scott supplied some of the parts for this build also...  i'll contact him..
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Slab is too early imo. Im partial to a partial fence. That carrier is a early transitional.
View Quote

ok this brings up more questions.  if it is supposed to have a captured front pin and a partial fence.. is there a "Large" hole captured pin??? is it dimpled??
the upper i have is a large hole slick side (no FA no brass deflector)

the reason i made my lower a slab side was, i have a mid 1980s SP2..  (which is basically a slab side lower with a A1 no "burton bump" brass deflector) upper and a tear drop FA
now i bought this rifle brand spanking new in the box somewhere around 85,86,87, the only actual "A2" parts on the rifle are the barrel and furniture. the FH is a bird cage A1 also
everything else is A1
so i basically copied my colt lower.. because i have never seen a large captured front pin..

damm and i thought i was so close to being finished...

thanks
Pete

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ok this brings up more questions.  if it is supposed to have a captured front pin and a partial fence.. is there a "Large" hole captured pin??? is it dimpled??

the reason i made my lower a slab side was, i have a mid 1980s SP2..  (which is basically a slab side lower with a A1 no "burton bump" brass deflector) upper and a tear drop FA
now i bought this rifle brand spanking new in the box somewhere around 85,86,87, the only actual "A2" parts on the rifle are the barrel and furniture. the FH is a bird cage A1 also
everything else is A1
so i basically copied my colt lower.. because i have never seen a large captured front pin..

thanks
Pete

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

everything else is A1

thanks
Pete

The pivot pin (standard .250" diameter) on the 604 is not dimpled. The takedown pin, selector, and magazine release catch are dimpled on the early models and non-dimpled on the later models. The lowers on the 604 were partial-fence (early) and full-fence (late). Also, the early 604s used the 3-prong FH and the later ones used the A1 birdcage FH. You can find out this info and more on retroblackrifle.com.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top