Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2015 9:38:11 AM EDT
How rare are the no drain hole front sights?  I have been trying to find one for quite a while, including WTB posts on this sight.  I have  had ZERO luck.  How rare are these, and does anyone know of a source for one?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You could probably have a new one welded up but most originals are still attached to barrels.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one about 2 years ago, and I believe I paid 75 bucks. It was from an individual that used to put older/rarer/retro items in the EE.  He was from the Hartford, Conn area.  Since then I have "made" several by bead blasting a "no forge code" early drain hole sight, then grinding the forge flash off, then taking a set screw (whatever size they are......maybe a 6-36) and turning a small "tit" on the end of it. After grinding said "tit", screw the setscrew down through the threaded hole in the sight until the tit protrudes through the hole. Using a Tig welder I then fused the tit to the sight. That leaves enough metal raised up where the hole was to grind it to make it look like a continuation of the forge line. Reparkerize and, viola........no drain hole sight.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]
My early 604 upper has one ; I have no idea of the scarcity.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My early 604 upper has one ; I have no idea of the scarcity.
View Quote

The drain hole was added as an A1 improvement in 67.

No drain fsb's were made from early 64 to fall 67
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one lol
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I just sent you an email.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top