Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 4:53:11 PM EDT
So the other day I received my first rifle, a Colt SP1 that my grandfather purchased back in 1977. It is currently equipped with a 3-9x scope mounted on top of the carry handle. I'm considering taking the rifle out to try my hand at hunting at some point in the near future. However, it is not currently legal in my state to hunt deer with .223, and even if it was I don't think I would consider it sufficient to consistently and humanely take deer. In addition to that, the relatively slow twist rate of the barrel limits me to relatively light ammunition, which further limits what I can humanely kill with it. Aside from coyotes, which I know a lot of people hunt with ARs, what other options do I have in the way of game animals?
Also, I was wondering what load the members of the forum would recommend for hunting?
Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
55gr soft point should be a decent round for game that will stabilize well in the 1:12 barrel
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad is a ranchhand. You would be surprised what a barnes 52 grain bullet can kill. But with it being illegal. You can pick up a sp1 upper cheap and stab a 762x39,6.8 spc or 300 bo. All those rounds meet caliber requirements and readily available. And keeping the look close to sp1 spec.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Groundhogs here in VA is about all I shoot.  Coyotes are starting to move in but not really where I hunt or shoot.  Groundhogs are everywhere.  Your current scoped carry handle upper with 1-12 should work fine for most small game.

55gr soft point should be a decent round for game that will stabilize well in the 1:12 barrel

This!  I actually get at least as good or better accuracy with the SP's than FMJ's.  50 grain is the lightest bullet I've tried out of a .223.  

762x39,6.8 spc or 300 bo. All those rounds meet caliber requirements and readily available. And keeping the look close to sp1 spec.

and this!

Build a flat top upper for hunting would be my recommendation. Legal and will save wear and tear on the Colt original.   Use your BCG for 300 BO or CH, carrier, cam pin, FP and retainer for 7.62x39 if coins are tight and simply buy a bolt.  16" barrel works fine for bullet ballistics in 7.62x39 or 300 BO.  Adequate carbine HG's are given away quite frequently.  Should be able to buy or build a decent functional hunting upper for $250-300 with new components if you do a little efficient shopping less scope mount.  Tthe Chinese knock off mounts work fine. Many of those big coin mounts are actually made in China and knock off's are identical except for 3X price.   Cheap cantilever mount will allow for optimum eye relief adjustment.  Personally don't think you need a $200 mount or  scope for a 125 yd deerslayer.

300 BO and 7.62x39 bullets are tit for tat by price but IMO advantage would be using the .223 brass for 300 BO instead of 7.62x39 which is getting kinda pricey along with additional cost of bolt.  Wolf HP works and is cheap enough.  300 BO is gaining popularity so ammo should be constantly improving / less costly if you can't reload.  Haven't done much with 6.8 except shoot them.

Loads need to be worked up per speciffic weapon but H-4895 with 55 SP at 25 +/- a tad is accurate.  H-335 25-26 or CFE223 at 26-27 grains.  Every weapon will like something a little different for optimum accuracy.  7.62 x 39 I use my stash of 123 grain  HP bullets. Pretty sure they are Hornady mfg ( on backorder at most dealers for a couple years now).   Been using H-4198 lately but have had plenty of accuracy success with H-4895 over the years. Mid to near max recommended charge works well but you will need to work them up from the minimum.  Too many variables to say use this or that.  300 BO I haven't done anything but trim,  size and prime cases as I haven't finished my build to test.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
just remember if you build another upper (especially a flat top) you'll need a adapter for the SP-1's .311" pivot pin to the mil. and comm. std. .250".
not a deal breaker by any means.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Fellas, in some states, Tennessee for instance, .223 is legal for hunting deer. I would still recommend something just a little larger...like 6.8. In my mind small projectiles should be left for coyotes and such.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You can build another upper starting with a stripped SP-1 upper in the caliber of your choice, taking into consideration Indiana's screwed up caliber laws.

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.
View Quote

I placed in bold the ones that are common variant AR15 chamberings.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
As a young man, I used my 74(bought new in 78) 20" SP1 hunting SE whitetails for yrs. Killed plenty. Used M193 ball, mostly.Tthe stuff was devastating, if hit right(of course). also killed a couple using an 11.5".
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
In this state the lowest caliber for whitetails is .243 I think. Have thought about swapping an upper on a carbine to get another caliber. Not too sure about doing one in 300 or 458. 6.5 Grendel works out to about .260 cal. Don't know enought about 6.5, but thought I would throw that out there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Here in Oklahoma, it's also been legal to take deer with the 55gr 5.56 (.223) round for many years.
At least some states have realized that since they are sending guys off to fight wars with this caliber, it should be legal to at least hunt deer with the same round they are being asked to defend their lives with.
I've had no problem taking deer (cleanly) with the M193.
A bad hit is a bad hit .... regardless of caliber.  Some think because they are using a larger caliber, any hit will be a kill.  Not so.
Bigger is not necessarily better.  The key is bullet placement.
If it cannot be taken cleanly .... don't take the shot.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top