Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2015 1:36:37 PM EDT
Of course everyone on this board appreciates the beauty, simplicity, and most of all, the light weight and handling of the "retro" style ARs.  KISS is an important principle which I believe is doubly important for SHTF.  You want a rifle that is light, handy, durable, and SIMPLE for a hard / rugged use scenario.  A SHTF retro style AR most likely won't be historically accurate, but will borrow the best from the past while implementing some modern enhancements for logistics sake.  

For instance, take my SHTF C7 Style Midlength rifle.  It has an A1 profile barrel, and A1 style upper.  But the barrel is 1-7 twist to better accommodate any type of ammo you might want (or have) to field.  It also has a midlength gas system for smoother operation, less recoil, longer sight radius, and ability to accept a bayonet.  It has an A1 upper, but in the C7 style, as I believe the burton bump and forward assist are important and necessary features to have.  It has an M4 stock vs. CAR for durability and ergonomics.  

I love how light and handy this rifle is, it points great.  The gun is very accurate.  I zero'd this rifle a few years back, I hadn't shot it in a couple of years and just recently took it out again.  It is still dead on!  I couldn't believe that the zero didn't need to be adjusted what so ever after 3 years, neither elevation or windage wise!  You can't beat the set it and forget it nature of the A1 sights!  

Full Specs / Features:
*Weight unloaded w/o sling 6 lbs. 4 ounces
*16" Midlength 1 - 7 twist chrome lined ADCO barrel, re-contoured to A1 profile and mounted with a *non* F .625 FSB.
*Anchor Harvey C7 style upper
*Full Auto Chrome BCG (Young Manf carrier Spikes chrome bolt)
*Retro Style modern production 3 pronged flash hider for looks and performance.  I have it timed so that the third prong is facing the bottom with a open slot facing up, giving it some gas push down performance / ground dust signature shielding similar to the A2!
*Basic M4 style lower

Let's see your SHTF retro style AR15 rifles!  I know I can't be the only one who thinks a KISS retro AR is the way to go for SHTF!
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
My ranch gun pretty much a spare parts build, but I think it meets the criteria. A lot of the parts came from my 653ish project that got put on hold. No idea on weight, but it's nothing extraordinary.

I've been meaning to get an A1 stock for it, but eh, there are other projects. I missed a nice EE deal on a RRA Entry + Knight's extension package a few weeks ago that would have been perfect.

C7 Upper (EE score)
Fulton teardrop and port door assembly
Faxon melonite mid-length gov. profile barrel with Armalite clamp-onFSB (Cheap EE find)
YHM low profile steel gb (spare parts)
Fulton three-prong and slip ring
Bushmaster BCG (Brownell's sale)
Streamlight TLR HP (Palmetto clearance deal)
RRA lpk (spare parts box)
Used 7075 RE (EE score)
Spikes buffer kit
IDF sling with QD socket at rear and colt FSB mount up front

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess mine can play.

As is, this one would absolutely be a go-to for SHTF duty(along with the 10.5" above it. SBR sizing would be far superior for vehicle use, 24/7 carry, etc), being one of my most fav ARs. Brace and all...

LM 603 upper(scored new at a gunshow w FA/sight assem already installed back around 1980-ish)
Ares Armor low friction Melonite BCG
Anderson lower
J&T LW 11.5" 9-1+A2
Shockwave brace
3.5lb polished oem trigger group
PA RDS

In my mind, the SP1 carbine(bought new in 78 being a 1974 20") would also see duty(prolly for the wife. even tho she doesn't know it yet lol). But it would also have a RDS and light on it. Has yet to have a malfunction, after 37yrs of use(12k-ish). As it looks like right now..

Colt FA BCG (scored new at a gunshow back around 1980ish)
Colt 6720 pencil 7-1 barrel
Tonys Customs CAR stock
Lonestar A1 grip(bought new around 1980)

Like this with a light and RDS...(old pic. Model 1 barrel, Ares Armor NIB BCG, and MOE grip shown).

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Retro "styled" but not a perfect copy.  

Bushmaster A1/C7 receiver with TD forward assist; off the EE
Bushmaster 16 ",1:9 chrome lined M4 profile barrel with Bushmaster BCG (for compatibility)
XM177 slip-over FH; off the EE
Matrix Aerospace A2 lower with PTAC parts kit (trigger tuned)
retro Bushmaster Aluminum CAR stock with retro extension nut; off the EE
retro Bushmaster A1 pistol grip; off the EE
Butt pad; from the parts box
Total weight with butt pad 7 lb., 2 oz.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<a href="http://s769.photobucket.com/user/Tslepebull/media/IMG_0199%203_zpsuedt9odo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx338/Tslepebull/IMG_0199%203_zpsuedt9odo.jpg</a><a href="http://s769.photobucket.com/user/Tslepebull/media/IMG_0202%202_zpszcfaeiw6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx338/Tslepebull/IMG_0202%202_zpszcfaeiw6.jpg</a>

Total weight with butt pad 7.12 lbs.
View Quote

Looks like a nice build, though that's heavy for an A1 carbine!  Is that an HBAR underneath the handguards?  Give us a little insight on why that rifle is a primary SHTF gun for you!
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
This... Plus a sling. Simple, light and has always been reliable.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to contribute, but none of my retros will serve duty as a SHTF weapon. I have modern ARs set up for that purpose and the variation used is dependent on what the mission capabilities would dictate.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/17c4a3c1-5ef4-4a4c-baf9-f97014b44e7c.jpg
View Quote

Is that an A2 flash hider?  Original 1-12 twist barrel?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/17c4a3c1-5ef4-4a4c-baf9-f97014b44e7c.jpg

It's a repro 3 prong. And I'll have to check the barrel specs to be honest I can't remember right now :-(
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Not really Retro in anyway except it is my take on a modern M1 Carbine Rifle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would like to contribute, but none of my retros will serve duty as a SHTF weapon. I have modern ARs set up for that purpose and the variation used is dependent on what the mission capabilities would dictate.
View Quote

I think "modern" ARs will prove to be less durable and more finicky in the long run during a prolonged SHTF scenario, esp those that feature a lot of glass or electronics.  

I also think things like foldable + plastic sights, etc. will prove to be subpar in hard use and abuse over the long haul and the chinks in their armor will become apparent.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think "modern" ARs will prove to be less durable and more finicky in the long run during a prolonged SHTF scenario, esp those that feature a lot of glass or electronics.  

I also think things like foldable + plastic sights, etc. will prove to be subpar in hard use and abuse over the long haul and the chinks in their armor will become apparent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many people have different ideas as to what a SHTF weapon should be. What it should be is versatile enough in design to perform well in a few different functions. It should also be sturdy as should all the accessories used on/with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
If no glass is the idea...well hell, every retro will by default, be a "SHTF rifle". What does one do when its dark(when most encounters are gonna happen)? SHTF duty to me, means no messing around. I personally want the deck absolutely stacked in my favor. That means a weapon light and RDS. THAT(retros retrofitted with tactical updates) would be a great bias for this kinda thread in this forum. Otherwise, its just another KISS pic thread. We already have that.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]
This for sure:

Maybe this:

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
This is somewhere that I can get to it quickly and has a magazine of M193 ready to go, but I'm not sure it would be the "one" if I had to bail out of the house with only one rifle. Maybe my upcoming mid-length build with the Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight on the flattop. That's almost kinda sorta retro, right?

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Does my 45-70 sharps count?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]
It's the only one I gots, so it's a gunna haft ta do.... Has a GP sling to go with it.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Looks like a nice build, though that's heavy for an A1 carbine!  Is that an HBAR underneath the handguards?  Give us a little insight on why that rifle is a primary SHTF gun for you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s769.photobucket.com/user/Tslepebull/media/IMG_0199%203_zpsuedt9odo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx338/Tslepebull/IMG_0199%203_zpsuedt9odo.jpg</a><a href="http://s769.photobucket.com/user/Tslepebull/media/IMG_0202%202_zpszcfaeiw6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx338/Tslepebull/IMG_0202%202_zpszcfaeiw6.jpg</a>

Total weight with butt pad 7.12 lbs.

Yeah the M4 barrel, slip-on flash hider, and aluminum stock do add about 12 oz. but it keeps everything really stable and well balanced.  It is my SHTF rifle because it is dead reliable with no batteries, cross hairs, or other accoutrements to fail.  I like the 1:9 twist barrel because it can handle ammo weights from the mid-40's to mid-60's grains equally and that gives me a lot of versatility.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/20140921_143609_zpsrk9rrumw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/20140921_143609_zpsrk9rrumw.jpg</a>
View Quote

Love that 610!
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Love that 610!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/20140921_143609_zpsrk9rrumw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/20140921_143609_zpsrk9rrumw.jpg</a>

Love that 610!

Thanks its a blast with a 22lr kit. I wish i could afford a dias!
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that like a billion baby oak trees coming up?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
THAT'S SLICK!

Is it a midlength with a RRA entry stock?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT'S SLICK!

Yup... Member jhud created the upper... RRA entry stock sets it off nicely
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#26]
My old colt. No frills but Running 20+ years failure free.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Because my SHTF ammo is 75 gr Hornady TAP either this:

" />

or this:

" />

because of the 1/7 twists

(but to be honest I would grab my Recce build with Nightforce glass first)
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
where did the triangle handguards come from?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT'S SLICK!

Yup... Member jhud created the upper... RRA entry stock sets it off nicely
where did the triangle handguards come from?

Jhud made those too...they are cut down full size HG's. Here is a pic with more detail...

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Colt Model 653 clone with a IDF twist.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is mine if A2s count as retro!

FK A2 Upper
16" 1 in 9 Mid-Length Del-Ton barrel kit
M16 BCG Surplus Ammo and Arms
A2 stock
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If no glass is the idea...well hell, every retro will by default, be a "SHTF rifle". What does one do when its dark(when most encounters are gonna happen)? SHTF duty to me, means no messing around. I personally want the deck absolutely stacked in my favor. That means a weapon light and RDS. THAT(retros retrofitted with tactical updates) would be a great bias for this kinda thread in this forum. Otherwise, its just another KISS pic thread. We already have that.  
View Quote

Well not quite.  While some of the retro rifles have good features (KISS and durable iron sights, light profile barrels), there are many improvements that can still be made.  For instance, I would NOT want a 1-12 twist barrel in the modern age, that really limits your ammo choices and I'd hate to be stuck trying to use ammo that wouldn't stabilize in my rifle.  Likewise, A1 fiberglass furniture is delicate compare to modern polymers and is prone to cracking.  Not something you'd want in a collapse of civilization type rifle!  When the A2 came out, one of the big improvements was the 8x stronger nylon impregnated zytle polymer formula.  Likewise, I think the reinforced stronger A2 lower is also an improvement over the slick side weaker A1 lower.  The receiver extension is one of the achillies heels of the A1 rifle, and adding strength to that area is definitely a good thing.  

Likewise, I am a fan of the forward assist and the burton bump.  If I've had situations where I've had to use the FA at the range, then there is no way I'd want to chance not having one in a serious use situation.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean something a little more like this?

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s790.photobucket.com/user/DeadpanSnarker/media/15.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/DeadpanSnarker/15.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s790.photobucket.com/user/DeadpanSnarker/media/15.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/DeadpanSnarker/15.jpg</a>

Hipower90 and I have different definitions of SHTF.  He is using any time he might need to use a gun as "SHTF", I am referring to SHTF as post apocalyptic or collapse of society / rule of law.  I don't think battery and glass operated gadgets would be long for that world so any advantages you might enjoy would be very fleeting.  Then you're left with an unergonomic overtly heavy AR with fragile sights.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I've posted pictures of this before in the Mid-Length thread,

My take on a modern A1 and a test bed for things I hadn't done. Excuse the crumby pics.

16" mid-length CMMG nitrided 1x7 barrel
Aim Nickle Boron BCG
OD MagPul furniture, fixed carbine stock
AAC blackout flash hider (modern 3 prong)
C7 upper, lower and all alloy parts cera-koted Patriot Brown

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I built a CAR-15 with a C7 upper.

Then it gained a set of free float rails.

Then it gained an IR laser and illuminator.

Then it gained a suppressor.

It's not very KISS anymore but I can shoot stuff in the dark, reasonably quietly.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Probably something on this wall.

Most likely the M14
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#38]
All these are on 80% receivers....  Except for the little guy on the right, the kits were from Royal Tiger - those Malaysian M16A1s that came in.  I got the barrels from AR15.com and reused the kit's front sight base.  After I had done a couple "used-FSB-to-virgin-barrel" jobs I read that "It can't be done".  ( ! )  Good thing I didn't read that first....

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too.

But for balance, here is a contrarian view on SHTF guns from Bill Jordan:

If you can shoot
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Retro wise I would grab these two. They are the last A-1 builds that I have done. Both function without a hitch.
" />
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hipower90 and I have different definitions of SHTF.  He is using any time he might need to use a gun as "SHTF", I am referring to SHTF as post apocalyptic or collapse of society / rule of law.  I don't think battery and glass operated gadgets would be long for that world so any advantages you might enjoy would be very fleeting.  Then you're left with an unergonomic overtly heavy AR with fragile sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unergonomic? Heavy? Fragile? What? Why would they suddenly be all that if my RDS and light suddenly dies? What diff would that make? My 2 A1 types shown on page 1 of this thread...well, I'd just take the 5 seconds it takes to remove the RDS. Same with the light. Bam..both are instantly well under 6lbs, ready to go. Hell, all my ARs are light weights(every single one is a .625 pencil barrel build, sans one 10.5" Gov. I'm a pretty big weight weenie. So that claim is absolutely invalid. even my one scoped illum 4x1 AR is just a bit over 7lbs). Actually, I'm looking at both types of SHTF. I already live remotely deep in the mtns at the end of a deadend rd...heat with wood only...cut and process my own wood...have a large garden...free gravity spring water system coming off the mtn behind/above the house.. trout stream running thru the front yard... bear, wild pigs, deer, yotes, all on my property...I'm an avid backpacker and mt biker...lots of food, ammo,weapons, precious metals, batteries, body armor, chainsaws, tillers, dual sport motos, 4 wheelers, 9k generator, 100s of candles, oil lanterns, etc etc stored. Been doing it since the early 80s. I have lots of RDS/light batteries stored, so I'd be good for at least a few yrs. IF one has to actually get a true fire fight trying to defend ones stuff, I'm confident that I'd still be using a light and RDS sight. Thats too big of advantage to give up. The WORST that would happen, is I'd have go back to irons. I've been very good with irons since the late 60s. If that much time has passed for glass to fail, and its STILL SHTF circumstances...then I've got more chit to worry about then just batteries. Then of course, I've also got AKs, M1As, multi .22's(65k of .22lr alone), etc. I think I'm good.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#42]
It looks like carbines are a favorite for the most part. The thing that impresses me about my retro carbine is the weight. I have my Colt 723'ish build and a modern style carbine with aftermarket parts. The retro is much lighter and better balanced.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]
As much as I love my AR15 retro platform, if society was ending, this would be first choice...

</a>" />

</a>" />

This would be second....

" />
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Many people have different ideas as to what a SHTF weapon should be. What it should be is versatile enough in design to perform well in a few different functions. It should also be sturdy as should all the accessories used on/with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!

In the main KISS thread in tech, it seems that a lot of KISS advocates have confused KISS with "retro" or "light." Personally, I wouldn't want to stake my life on an iron sights / no light rifle in a scenario where I am defending the life of me and mine. A light, basic rifle is tons of fun, but IMO is not an SHTF rifle in today's world.

And as far as flip-ups and optics not holding up, those who live where the S is HTF all the time (the sandbox) don't seem to have any issues.

...rant over...
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I am mostly an iron sight guy, maybe because I am 63, and have used irons all my military and law enforcement careers...old school.  I do have a 20mm and 30mm Tasco red dot.  One is a vintage Accupoint and the other is a vintage Pro-point.  They are all metal and made for shotguns and the recoil from slugs. TOUGH scopes.  I have one for my AK, and I can easily pounce pop cans, standing off-hand at 50-60 yards.  3 MOAish at 100 yards from a rest.  If the battery dies (as it did last week because I forgot to turn off the scope, it is just 10 seconds to drop the optic off.  With my M1 Carbine, I snap shoot better with irons.  

With the AK, better with the red dot.  My first choice would be AK with the red dot as needed.  Second choice would actually be a tie between the retro 20" AR and my M1 Carbine!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:09:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Me too.

If you can shoot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

If you can shoot

I think when my dad was alive he would had agreed with the Sheriff. This Mod 10 and a box of 38 silvertips lived either behind the seat of his 1966 El Camino or behind the seat of his motorhome when he was traveling. Sweetest Smith I own - two barrel bulges and the smoothest double action trigger...

" />
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's that close second choice M1 Carbine:  Very light and handy.  A lot of firepower for just over 5 pounds.

</a>ttp://" />
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#48]
[/URL]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Not retro, but I like it! Pic of entire truck? I like the lower BTW - converted SP1?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes, registered receiver converted Sporter.
[/URL]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top