Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 9:14:46 PM EDT
im working on getting a local place getting parts anodized in colt early grey, I would like to see if there is enough interest, im working on getting my ffl, so lowers may be an option.im am going to concentrate on the early grey for the retro community.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice, any examples of work done so far?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Would potentially be interested if they do good work for a reasonable fee.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have so black hardcoat anodize for now, I will work on the grey, I will try to get cost very very decent compaired to some price I have seen.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm confused.  You are getting an FFL and you are going to start doing anodizing?.....or you are trying to get a local place to do it?   Do they have an FFL, otherwise I don't think they can do lowers, unless they allowed you to stay on the premises the whole time the lowers were being anodized.
Also, is this type II or type III anodizing?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm confused.  You are getting an FFL and you are going to start doing anodizing?.....or you are trying to get a local place to do it?   Do they have an FFL, otherwise I don't think they can do lowers, unless they allowed you to stay on the premises the whole time the lowers were being anodized.
Also, is this type II or type III anodizing?
View Quote

Stoner25mkiv is correct... the person/company actually performing the finish work (on lower receivers or firearms) does not have to have a manufacturer's license (07 FFL), but they must be a type 01 FFL holder (dealer/gunsmith).

BATF reference:  https://www.atf.gov/file/55461/download

John Thomas

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]

im working on getting my ffl, so lowers may be an option

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you are doing the anodizing?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:56:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
im working on getting a local place getting parts anodized in colt early grey, I would like to see if there is enough interest, im working on getting my ffl, so lowers may be an option.im am going to concentrate on the early grey for the retro community.
View Quote

I remember talking to you on the phone about this over a month ago, what are you waiting for on your FFL?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I remember talking to you on the phone about this over a month ago, what are you waiting for on your FFL?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Location and $
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I want  new anodizer I'm up for it
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Killer... I don't have any current projects but I'm interested. Once I get this move done I can start working on conning JT into helping me with my 703 clone and I can use you for the anodizing!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm still confused.  Are you suggesting that YOU are going to do anodizing, OR, are you trying to get a local business to do anodizing FOR you?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm still confused.  Are you suggesting that YOU are going to do anodizing, OR, are you trying to get a local business to do anodizing FOR you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Non ffl yeah then I'm gonna give it a shot when I get everything lined up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Killer... I don't have any current projects but I'm interested. Once I get this move done I can start working on conning JT into helping me with my 703 clone and I can use you for the anodizing!
View Quote

Does jt anodize?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Does jt anodize?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does jt anodize?

He doesn't anymore but used to when he lived in the Big Easy and he had an XM Gray down pat in my opinion. I used to send him black mag buttons and trigger gaurds to anodize so I could resell them and nobody ever complained. Your gonna have to talk to him about the whole ordeal.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He doesn't anymore but used to when he lived in the Big Easy and he had an XM Gray down pat in my opinion. I used to send him black mag buttons and trigger gaurds to anodize so I could resell them and nobody ever complained. Your gonna have to talk to him about the whole ordeal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does jt anodize?

yeah I heard its a tough color to dye in.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a few uppers & lowers that's ready for anodizing.  But price MUST be reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe that Jt used to do type II anodizing.  US Ano does both type II and III.    I'm not sure what it would take, money-wise, to get set up for type III..........but I for one would gladly pay a premium to get type III
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Location and $
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Location and $

so this is just a dream right now ??

seeing how you have to have a location address before you can even apply

ask me how I know..... 10 weeks start to finish to get my 07...paying rent for a place and not using it for almost 3 months sucks
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I am still confused.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ask me how I know..... 10 weeks start to finish to get my 07...paying rent for a place and not using it for almost 3 months sucks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Location and $

You used to be able to get a 01 FFL and do business from your house. I know a few older local guys with 01 FFLs that sell from their house.. Or at least used to, I haven't done business with them in over 5-6 years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You used to be able to get a 01 FFL and do business from your house. I know a few older local guys with 01 FFLs that sell from their house.. Or at least used to, I haven't done business with them in over 5-6 years.
View Quote

Your FFL location (now) has to be zoned for conducting business.  It didn't used to be that way (maybe back in the late 90s... I can't remember exactly when they cracked down).  The ATF agent who performed my inspection checked with my City Hall, to confirm that my location was properly zoned.  So, they do check that.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Your FFL location (now) has to be zoned for conducting business.  It didn't used to be that way (maybe back in the late 90s... I can't remember exactly when they cracked down).  The ATF agent who performed my inspection checked with my City Hall, to confirm that my location was properly zoned.  So, they do check that.

John Thomas

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas

they also check with the HOA to see if they allow that type of business.  some guy raised a stink b/c HOA did not allow him to operate a firearm business out of his home so that killed the FFL application before it even started.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I asked the Investigator who did my FFL interview, for an 07 you should be zoned commercial or industrial, if your zoned rural or agricultural area, it will probably pass .
Now for an 01 the key words being....as long as " foot traffic is minimal " and it doesn't violate any HOA, City or County ordinances about running a home based business, but he said they really look into home based FFL's , meaning , more scrutiny ....he doubted if you're zoned residential it would go, but he said he'd seen some that were zoned low density residential ( homes with acreage ) make it.  so if your neighbors are within a baseball toss, it's probably not gonna fly, and if you think a detached garage will cut it, your a gambling man......personally  I wouldn't wast the $ 150 app fee to find out, they cash you check before starting the background check and its non refundable.

its really a double edged sword you have to have the location before you can apply, because one of the first question is location address, don't think you can use a warehouse address then move it to your home, because a move means the app process starts all over again and includes another interview.

good luck so back to the grey anodize question ...is this a pipe dream or is this gonna happen
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I asked the Investigator who did my FFL interview, for an 07 you should be zoned commercial or industrial, if your zoned rural or agricultural area, it will probably pass .
Now for an 01 the key words being....as long as " foot traffic is minimal " and it doesn't violate any HOA, City or County ordinances about running a home based business, but he said they really look into home based FFL's , meaning , more scrutiny ....he doubted if you're zoned residential it would go, but he said he'd seen some that were zoned low density residential ( homes with acreage ) make it.  so if your neighbors are within a baseball toss, it's probably not gonna fly, and if you think a detached garage will cut it, your a gambling man......personally  I wouldn't wast the $ 150 app fee to find out, they cash you check before starting the background check and its non refundable.

its really a double edged sword you have to have the location before you can apply, because one of the first question is location address, don't think you can use a warehouse address then move it to your home, because a move means the app process starts all over again and includes another interview.

good luck so back to the grey anodize question ...is this a pipe dream or is this gonna happen
View Quote

He has an anodizing source, it's type II but it's cheap.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

they also check with the HOA to see if they allow that type of business.  some guy raised a stink b/c HOA did not allow him to operate a firearm business out of his home so that killed the FFL application before it even started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas

I had to give up my 01 when I moved into a HOA..it is California so take that into account. No problem with a 03 tho...
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still confused.  You're saying he has a source to do anodizing. At least that is what I'm hearing based on what you just said.  Hkiller getting an FFL doesn't have much to do with another company doing anodizing. He can't receive a lower, from let's say, you, and then pass it on to this "source" to be anodized.......unless they have an FFL.........or am I more confused than what I think I am?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#29]
i'm fairly sure if a ffl drops it off and picks it up the ffl doesn't have to be there,and the worker doesn't need a license (except NFA items).

that's the way it is here, i drop a lower off for engrave or ano, they call me, i go get it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i'm fairly sure if a ffl drops it off and picks it up the ffl doesn't have to be there,and the worker doesn't need a license (except NFA items).

that's the way it is here, i drop a lower off for engrave or ano, they call me, i go get it.
View Quote

I'm just trying to avoid confusion/misinformation.  Please look at the BATF's link below.  Read the last sentence of the first paragraph.
https://www.atf.gov/file/55461/download

"Any person who is engaged in the business of camouflaging or engraving firearms as described in this ruling must be licensed as a dealer, which includes a gunsmith, under the Gun Control Act."

John Thomas
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm still confused.  You're saying he has a source to do anodizing. At least that is what I'm hearing based on what you just said.  Hkiller getting an FFL doesn't have much to do with another company doing anodizing. He can't receive a lower, from let's say, you, and then pass it on to this "source" to be anodized.......unless they have an FFL.........or am I more confused than what I think I am?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, your not confused. Your right on the money...
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm just trying to avoid confusion/misinformation.  Please look at the BATF's link below.  Read the last sentence of the first paragraph.

"Any person who is engaged in the business of camouflaging or engraving firearms as described in this ruling must be licensed as a dealer, which includes a gunsmith, under the Gun Control Act."

John Thomas
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

John Thomas
pretty much nails it in plain English.

my locals just don't know any better, neither did I.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#33]
It is hard coat anodize 3, Im working on getting my ffl. But being I may move to the country I my set up shop out there.  Still in the very early stages. Like I said in my first post lowers may be a possible. All other parts are fair game.m
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Posts like this ^ are a big reason why I love Nodak, outside of their work being top notch they actually participate!

Thanks for the info Mike
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#36]
i got sidetracked at tattooed lady and couldn't focus.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#37]
so would you mind passing on the source, or seeing if they have an FFL, and reply back,  since this would be 3-4 months before anything happens waiting on you to obtain an FFL ??

to me sounds like a huge hassle to get in the position of middle man unless you are getting the anodizing done cheap enough to make sense ??
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top