Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2015 11:15:43 PM EDT
Snagged this upper off of the EE a few nights ago.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1431236_WTS_early_Colt_M16__model_604__barreled_upper_with_hand_guards___SOLD_PENDING_FUNDS.html
I already have a partial fence Nodak lower on order and a type D stock set on the way from Numrich.  I figure this upper is right for an early '66 build with chrome bolt assy and non-dimpled pins/selector. Am I on the right track?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, you are on the right track.  Nice early barrel and early bend gas tube!  NDS partial fence is perfect.  You need a chrome BCG with forward assist notches.  Originals are VERY scarce and VERY expensive.  You can use a chrome BCG from Fulton Armory,  I got an AIM NiB (Nickel Boron) BCG that is hard to tell from chrome, for $100 for the complete BCG.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, you are on the right track.  Nice early barrel and early bend gas tube!  NDS partial fence is perfect.  You need a chrome BCG with forward assist notches.  Originals are VERY scarce and VERY expensive.  You can use a chrome BCG from Fulton Armory,  I got an AIM NiB (Nickel Boron) BCG that is hard to tell from chrome, for $100 for the complete BCG.
View Quote

In 1966 the Army would have been in transition to the MP parked BCG, so if he can get a MP Parked BCG and use a chrome bolt, and 3/4 gas key, it would be perfect. Reason the Chrome XM16E1 Chrome BCG's are very hard to find is because they litterally were used for 18 months give or take.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]
To me, one of the coolest things about the XM16E1, and what sets it apart, is the chrome BCG, so I'd recommend a Young's mfg chrome BCG. I mean, you're building a clone...original parts are becoming harder and harder to find. I'm holding onto a beatup XM16E1 upper receiver for just that reason - early Xm177 clone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a square forged upper which was used until mid '66 if I remember correctly.  The MP marked barrel was put into use "by 1966", that's where I'm getting early '66.  I know the parked bolt carrier assemblies were approved in June of '65. Would it be a big stretch to call it a late '65 build? I do like the look of chrome bolt carriers but the option to go with parked is nice too. Guess I need to track down an Edgewater buffer, xm receiver extention and the proper charging handle.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks like a square forged upper which was used until mid '66 if I remember correctly.  The MP marked barrel was put into use "by 1966", that's where I'm getting early '66.  I know the parked bolt carrier assemblies were approved in June of '65. Would it be a big stretch to call it a late '65 build? I do like the look of chrome bolt carriers but the option to go with parked is nice too. Guess I need to track down an Edgewater buffer, xm receiver extention and the proper charging handle.
View Quote

Forge FSB M VP 12 barrels were used on late 1964 -1965 builds. Go with a mix of Chrome/parked on the BCG if you wanna do period correct.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Forge FSB M VP 12 barrels were used on late 1964 -1965 builds. Go with a mix of Chrome/parked on the BCG if you wanna do period correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's an MP 12 barrel, looks like a round forge also.

That would date it to 1966-1968 according to Ekie's guide.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1966-1967, I have a 1968 SP1 with a MP C barrel, and the A1 changes went into effect in 1968 and a chrome lined chamber was on the list of upgrades, along with a forward assist on all Army and USMC M16A1's. The MP C barrel, actually had a very short life span, as it was soon replaced by the C MP C barrel with Chrome Bore and Chamber.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Decided to go with this bolt.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1387348_Rare__M16E1_CHROME_PLATED_BCG_____.html
It may not be 100% correct, but it will work for now. I've decided to build a likeness of the early '66 rifle pictured in the July 1966 FM 23-9. It has a chrome bcg.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1387348_Rare__M16E1_CHROME_PLATED_BCG_____.html
It may not be 100% correct, but it will work for now. I've decided to build a likeness of the early '66 rifle pictured in the July 1966 FM 23-9. It has a chrome bcg.
View Quote

Oh no, not the hen's tooth!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the hens tooth have a history here? Did I just make a newbie rook move?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does the hens tooth have a history here? Did I just make a newbie rook move?
View Quote

Think about it. Hen's teeth? Do hens have teeth? No.

The seller was just using a metaphor ("as scarce as hen's teeth") to say how hard these BCGs are to find.

"Scarce as hen's teeth"

Definition:

Also, scarcer than hen's teeth. Exceptionally rare, as in On a rainy night, taxis are as scarce as hen's teeth. Since hens have no teeth, this term in effect says that something is so scarce as to be nonexistent. [Mid-1800s ]
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Familiar with the saying, just wondering if there was a question of the authenticity of the "hens tooth" chrome bcg.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Familiar with the saying, just wondering if there was a question of the authenticity of the "hens tooth" chrome bcg.
View Quote

The seller calls many Retro Items Hen's Teeth, when in fact they aren't. In this case, his saying is a bit more justifiable..... You did make a Small Rookie mistake and impulse purchased that BCG. With a little patience, and more research, you could have gotten another one just as nice or possibly nicer for less coin on Gunbroker.

They ARE very Rare BCG's so be happy you own one, I am just weighing in as a 3rd party here with no motive whatsoever.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The seller calls many Retro Items Hen's Teeth, when in fact they aren't. In this case, his saying is a bit more justifiable..... You did make a Small Rookie mistake and impulse purchased that BCG. With a little patience, and more research, you could have gotten another one just as nice or possibly nicer for less coin on Gunbroker.

They ARE very Rare BCG's so be happy you own one, I am just weighing in as a 3rd party here with no motive whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

You paid a premium for it but the way retro parts are going it won't be long before it's worth what you gave.

Those are the rarest and most expensive of the retro bolt carrier groups from what I understand.

The guy had a late, refinished 604 upper that he called "the holy grail", it was worth $100-$150 and he had something like $300 on it IIRC.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Understood. It cost me about what a RTI kit would have, and I'll likely see it sooner than the two kits I ordered two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Understood. It cost me about what a RTI kit would have, and I'll likely see it sooner than the two kits I ordered two weeks ago.
View Quote

You are running head first into this hobby.

I have a feeling your project is going to impress.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#18]
As rare as they are, that's likely about what they are really 'worth'.  Very few real ones are out there, and that will only make them worth more with time. I spent years looking for mine, and never planned on selling it, but I really needed the coin for the book, and as little as I'm making right now, I couldn't justify NOT selling it. I've known the buyer a long time, and we were both happy with the deal - that's all that really matters in the long run. IMO there is not a rarer AR15/M16 BCG out there. The chrome 601/602s are common in comparison.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Found a red wine buffer so I think I'll go with that for this build. Going to sort of be an early '66 rifle circa '68 or '69 ish. Just need to find an early receiver extension.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Found a red wine buffer so I think I'll go with that for this build. Going to sort of be an early '66 rifle circa '68 or '69 ish. Just need to find an early receiver extension.
View Quote

Excellent. The perfect buffer IMO. Edgewaters are cool to look at, but the new design is really an improvement. The red wine buffer is perfect for what you are building.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's my inspiration.
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/madisonvalleywapiti/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/20150509_130230.jpg.html
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/madisonvalleywapiti/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/20150509_130115.jpg.html
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/madisonvalleywapiti/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/20150509_130126.jpg.html
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#22]

" />
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Will work on pictures tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:03:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Will work on pictures tomorrow.
View Quote

I wasn't sure if it was the pics or my phone.

ETA: 2/3 ain't bad.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I think I figured it out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's my XM16E1 build so far. Waiting on a Nodak lower and need to find a SP1 LPK and early receiver extension. I will also eventually change out the early XM16E1 BCG for a transition BCG eventually.
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/madisonvalleywapiti/20150525_130156_1.jpg
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here's my XM16E1 build so far. Waiting on a Nodak lower and need to find a SP1 LPK and early receiver extension. I will also eventually change out the early XM16E1 BCG for a transition BCG eventually.
View Quote

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't change a thing, if you have the BLING, then show it off....
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wouldn't change a thing, if you have the BLING, then show it off....
View Quote

I agree. Since you have the makings for an early XM16E1, stay with what you have. Mine is going to be a later version with the birdcage FH and phosphate BCG.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top