Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 1:56:31 PM EDT
So, in my continuing saga of leaving Retro Land I have made another discovery.  In order to answer questions, I had to take handguards off.  Easy perhaps for Zaphod Beeblebrox, but not two-handed creatures.  Being a KISS kind of guy, most of my guns can be taken apart and put back together - as far as I take them apart - with tools found on any workbench.

With my wife's help, we got the handguards off.  Even with her help, we now have one side on and no room for hands to get other side on.  Other then A) Spending money for something I will never need again or B) Spending my day making some gadget, is there any simple trick to holding the D Ring down for this process without messing up the finish?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It still takes two sets of hands, but use the handles from a set of channel lock pliers (rubber coated). Use them to grip and pull down the slip ring.

I acquired a hand guard removal tool with some parts I bought as a lot. I can't tell you how many times I have used them. They make removing hand guards so simple. Especially flat rings.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
i LOVE special tools!
I've been told I'M a special tool!

still takes 2 people, but you can use the padded handles of a pair of channelocks to pull down the slip ping.

beat by 1 min, 40 secs!

musta been using a special keyboard

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Channel locks I have.  And a wife with two good hands.  Thanks!  That is a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a bit of a struggle, but I use a length of parachute-cord and pull the slip-ring down with that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a bit of a struggle, but I use a length of parachute-cord and pull the slip-ring down with that.
View Quote

I'm saving the parachute cord to hang myself.  LOL!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I find it easier to remove the handguards if the upper is removed from the lower
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I just put the gun between my legs pull the slip ring down with one hand and remove the handgaurds....There has been a few rare cases where the spring was so tight I needed assistance from a flathead screwdriver with a taped up head. Installing them is easier than removal most of the times....
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a prybar made of delrin or something similar that I use on stubborn sliprings. But have thought about the HG tool once in a while.

"Come on off of there you, m&*^(%$#ing @*(&^$&^er"

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I LOVE old springs because they make it easier to get the handguards on and off!

All my parts kits springs go on my triangle handguard builds to make it easier.

Channel Locks CAN be used with only two hands. Wifey would give me serious stink eye if I asked her for help.

I'll have to try pulling the upper off of the lower and see if that helps. Good idea. Seems like it would help.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I also got a handguard tool off PIF.  Use it a lot and only $15 to buy.  Saves cussing and knuckle scrapes!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The way I do it, taking the upper off would make things much more difficult.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top