Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2015 8:43:19 PM EDT
I was looking at some of the recent retro builds and some one mentioned the prices of real retro parts and how hard some were to find.
What are the new guys going to do????????

I had put two together last week for fun, so I dug them out to check the parts out on them.
I know they are not an exact retro, but for the new guys it may have to work.........

I had found everything except for the hand guards in my parts bins that were commercial made.
I used these retro stocks on these but I have A1 stocks I could have used that are commercial made.
I used retro pistol grips On the one on the bottom , the top one has a commercial grips.
( I have seen some of the A2 grips modified to look like the Early grips, good use of an A2 grip).
I used flat rings but I could have used commercial delta rings.

The only thing I cannot find is the commercial made triangle hand guards.
Does any one make the triangle rifle hand guards yet?

Ron

I am going to modify the top one in the picture to use commercial parts only ( except for the hand guards).
I will do it next week and repost another picture.
Ron

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
That I know of, no one makes commercial, current triangle handguards. But did want to mention that I receiver the parts for a build, almost exactly like your two, today. Will get it together tomorrow. Can't wait. I wanted something that I wouldn't feel bad about using and abusing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That I know of, no one makes commercial, current triangle handguards. But did want to mention that I receiver the parts for a build, almost exactly like your two, today. Will get it together tomorrow. Can't wait. I wanted something that I wouldn't feel bad about using and abusing.
View Quote

Great, I am looking forward to seeing your pictures of them.
Ron
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ron

Both of yours look great!! Good job!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking rifles Ron!

There is a manufacturer out there that makes rifle length triangular handguards. I've only seen one pair of them but they were made the same way as the carbine length triangular handguards. I was not impressed by what I saw, they had the clip-in heatshields and weren't as sturdy as actual USGI ones.

I swear that I saw a website that had them but can't think of it right now. I'll post a link if I can find it again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Who makes slip rings commercially?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Smoeone must make a flat one, but all aftermarket seem to be delta rings.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR15sport.com has repro flat rings. As far as I'm aware of there isn't anyone else offering new (not surplus) rings.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Model 1 sales used to sell the full length triangle handguards, but not sure now. There's a lot of retro slip rings on GB, I just bought 2 for $9.00 each, in good condition, new ones are around $20-30 in the packaging from the 60's You could pic up a bunch of those now for future builds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

AR15sport.com has repro flat rings. As far as I'm aware of there isn't anyone else offering new (not surplus) rings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I will add them to my parts list.
Ron
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice looking rifles Ron!

There is a manufacturer out there that makes rifle length triangular handguards. I've only seen one pair of them but they were made the same way as the carbine length triangular handguards. I was not impressed by what I saw, they had the clip-in heatshields and weren't as sturdy as actual USGI ones.

I swear that I saw a website that had them but can't think of it right now. I'll post a link if I can find it again.
View Quote

That would be good if you could find them and let us know.
I would like to look at them, maybe buy a set to test them.
Thanks
ron
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ron
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ron

That's one of the parts that came in my order from AR15sport today. They have repro ones in XM gray and black for $25. I needed a black one so I ordered one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#12]
You can build a carbine clone look with commercial parts.  
Your just going to have to hunt for the parts and then put your own kit together.

This is one I started with an A1 upper a while back. (I need the upper for another build)

I will swap out the upper with a A1C7 upper and everything else will be commercial parts.
Swap out the flat ring with a delta ring.
I have the lower, stock, etc. already
This will be a complete commercial kit build.

I have all the parts to put one together and I will put one together this week and post it.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm coming up empty for a source of the new full length triangular handguards.

It may have been PK Firearms or Model 1 Sales, neither of them have any right now.
I don't think it was either on of those shops though.

Somebody else here has to have seen the new full length guards, either on the web or in person.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
OK! I swapped out the parts.
The only military part on this rifles is the hand guards.

Everything else is a new commercial made part.

(The stock was made in 1993, it is new, I had it in storage.)

My new goal is to be able to build retro looking rifles and carbines using only commercial parts.
I will buy some NODAK A1 receivers this summer and swap out the A2 receivers.

Comments/suggestions are welcome!

As long as we have a few skilled guys willing to make us some parts, the new guys and us old guys can continue to build the retro rifles.
Thank You for making us parts.

Thanks for looking,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/captron73/media/014_zpsfmrdorty.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m483/captron73/014_zpsfmrdorty.jpg</a>
View Quote

A1 stock made in 93?  maybe that was the repack date?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/captron73/media/014_zpsfmrdorty.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m483/captron73/014_zpsfmrdorty.jpg</a>

No, I bought these from a new company starting out. The Company was in Texas. I don't remember there company name.
I got a dozen of them to try out and used a few. The rest went into storage. The 1994 ban made the prices go sky high, so I just quit messing with the AR's until a few years ago. Every thing has been in storage. I am still digging out stuff from the 80's and 90's.

Ron

I went and dug out one of the lower receivers that I got the stocks thru.
The name of the AR company: NATIONAL ORDANANCE COMPANY.  Houston Texas.
I am not sure what company they got the stocks from.
I bought some rifles and carbines. also some lower receivers.
I am not sure what I have left in the safes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, I bought these from a new company starting out. The Company was in Texas. I don't remember there company name.
I got a dozen of them to try out and used a few. The rest went into storage. The 1994 ban made the prices go sky high, so I just quit messing with the AR's until a few years ago. Every thing has been in storage. I am still digging out stuff from the 80's and 90's.

Ron

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ron

ah cool.  i think they made some lowers too,  i had one, it was out of spec.  i think they had a lot of out of spec receivers leading to their demise.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Top one is all new commercial parts except a surplus stock, grip and handguard. In process of changing to a light weight barrel and A1 stock.

Bottom the same but RGuns stock and PK handguard. Plan on changing handguard and trying to find and aluminum stock.

Not very accurate representations but fun.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/23yseFQ.jpg

Top one is all new commercial parts except a surplus stock, grip and handguard. In process of changing to a light weight barrel and A1 stock.

Bottom the same but RGuns stock and PK handguard. Plan on changing handguard and trying to find and aluminum stock.

View Quote

Very good looking.
YES! it is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the picture.
Ron
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't CAVARMS make A1 length stocks? The stocks aren't very accurate as far as looks, but they are A1 length.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Very good looking.
YES! it is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the picture.
Ron
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good looking.
YES! it is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the picture.
Ron

Thanks. I'm new to this and learning slowly. I actually had no idea the barrel in my rifle was wrong but it's now going toward an A2 rifle build. I'm just going for a retro look but I'd love to have one of those Colt 80% engraved lowers, but I'd have no idea where to get the milling done. Maybe one day.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks. I'm new to this and learning slowly. I actually had no idea the barrel in my rifle was wrong but it's now going toward an A2 rifle build. I'm just going for a retro look but I'd love to have one of those Colt 80% engraved lowers, but I'd have no idea where to get the milling done. Maybe one day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good looking.
YES! it is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the picture.
Ron

I enjoy putting them together. I gather up parts and start. Sometimes I get them semi-finished and as I find/buy a correct part for it I just swap the parts out.
Many times I have put them together and not like what I have done and just take them apart. Many of them were built many different ways, so what ever part you put on one will be correct. The early builds were very specific on parts, but after 1970 or so many were rebuilt with parts they had in the arms room.

The main thing is to read every thing here you can find, lot of very good knowledge that many are very willing to share.
Just enjoy.

Ron
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Straightening out a few things on my commercial retro build as I get parts. I got the ARSport.com pencil barrel installed.

Bought an A1 stock...just waiting on the screw.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Looking great! I need to post a pic of mine, got it together last week.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Please keep posting your commercial parts retro builds or partial builds and your comments.

People that make or can make these parts pay attention to this.
There has to be a real market for people to spend money to get a return on their investment.

I have also built a few of the A2 rifles and have a few A2 carbines style ( too many models to list for now) I have started gathering parts for future builds with all commercial parts. I will save that for later.

Thanks, Ron
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had this together for several weeks not but just haven't taken the time to post a pic of it. I have a 723 clone with a true A1 upper on it and I was thinking about swapping uppers since the C7 was sometimes seen on a 723. I also ordered two lowers from NoDak so I might have to make this thing a little closer to correct when I get them sometime later.  I really wanted something that was CLOSE to retro but not as valuable so if it got stolen or beat up a little it wouldn't be much of a big deal. I also have a kit that I bought from someone here on the site that included a stock/grip, and complete upper so I have a more correct build when the NDS gray lower arrives.

For now, this is my favorite rifle. Anyway, here's a pic...
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ron
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ron

Just a thought but LSO are commercial, build the commercial rifle with the LSO Grip and HG's.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Straightening out a few things on my commercial retro build as I get parts. I got the ARSport.com pencil barrel installed.

http://i.imgur.com/omLRnjl.jpg

Bought an A1 stock...just waiting on the screw.

http://i.imgur.com/7rRhfmy.jpg
View Quote

You did a fantastic job on that carbine BTW. Good Work!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I made some corrections to the carbine with suggestions members here gave me. All commercial parts. DPMS lower. CDNN Sports upper. RGuns stock.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks sooooo much better, I personally would add a sling and use an older forward assist but that's just me because I like the bighead forward assists a lot!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks sooooo much better, I personally would add a sling and use an older forward assist but that's just me because I like the bighead forward assists a lot!
View Quote

Being a newb, I have a fear of knocking rolling pins back out. I think I'll leave well enough alone.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Being a newb, I have a fear of knocking rolling pins back out. I think I'll leave well enough alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is fine as is. I just personally prefer the bigheads on the 723/727 and C8 Carbines.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a good way to add "battlefield scratches."

Car-bean looks great.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top