Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 11:59:10 PM EDT

Only 9 months from initial order to now - not *too* bad, I suppose. I still need to swap a split ring in for the crush washer and install the front sling swivel, though - Roll pin or rivet? Or since there is a mix of early and late parts, does it matter? I'm surprised the late upper is so much darker than XM Gray.

Edit: Picture is showing up in the preview, but just a link in the post... Odd.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking good - Great job!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Well done! My favorite of the retro rifles...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with hipshot. My 604 is my favorite also. Should be rivet for the ft swivel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#4]
My 604 does not match either. But i love mine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
delete
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My 604 does not match either. But i love mine.
View Quote

Awesome!Good looking rifle for sure!

Its the more authentic look in my opinion That is until you have the funds or desire to change it
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking rifle.

Look through the real deal thread, they didn't match when they left Hartford!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://copper-jacket.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/6041.jpg

Only 9 months from initial order to now - not *too* bad, I suppose. I still need to swap a split ring in for the crush washer and install the front sling swivel, though - Roll pin or rivet? Or since there is a mix of early and late parts, does it matter? I'm surprised the late upper is so much darker than XM Gray.

Edit: Picture is showing up in the preview, but just a link in the post... Odd.
View Quote

Looks like everyone has already covered the "nice rifle" line, but I'll say the same.

Re: your edit, Goatboy made a change a few months back to prevent new (and recycled) users from bombarding the forum with inappropriate photos. The photos you embed will only show for Team members, and we can either click to approve or report as inappropriate. Once three Team members approve, the photos will show for everyone. Once you get to 50 posts, your photos will show from the start.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like everyone has already covered the "nice rifle" line, but I'll say the same.

Re: your edit, Goatboy made a change a few months back to prevent new (and recycled) users from bombarding the forum with inappropriate photos. The photos you embed will only show for Team members, and we can either click to approve or report as inappropriate. Once three Team members approve, the photos will show for everyone. Once you get to 50 posts, your photos will show from the start.

View Quote

Ahh, Makes sense. Thanks!

Thank you all for the compliments. I've also got a 603 Project I'm working on, and then I'm going to do my best to lay off of the retro addiction - a 601 or 602 is just too spendy, and carbines... well, there are just too many variants that I like to be happy with just one or two, so better to stay away entirely. LOL

Also, is it normal to be blasting '60s music when putting together your retro guns? Girlfriend thought I was weird, but I suspect it's a common theme.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet.  604 is always a favorite.  Good thing,  you can swap out the port door from rear on 604 without much trouble. One of the repros from riflesupply on e-bay for $12 shipped would definitely compliment for cheap.  Use your existing rod and spring instead of one's furnished.  I use hemostats over a white sheet for rod clip install to keep from searching for it if dropped.  

Don't feel bad they don't color match very well on authentic original specimens or on current production lowers either.  Soak lower down with plenty of CLP and it wll get darker.

Retro music is a necessity.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you all for the compliments. I've also got a 603 Project I'm working on, and then I'm going to do my best to lay off of the retro addiction - a 601 or 602 is just too spendy, and carbines... well, there are just too many variants that I like to be happy with just one or two, so better to stay away entirely. LOL

Also, is it normal to be blasting '60s music when putting together your retro guns? Girlfriend thought I was weird, but I suspect it's a common theme.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I listen to classic rock in my workshop while working on retros. Also the 604 I just finished a few threads down wasn't any cheaper at all than my 602 build. Food for thought.

ETA - I actually prefer a little color difference, it's more authentic. I'd rather see color mismatch than some half ass spray job that the owner didn't bother disassembling the upper before he/she blasted it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice build!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sweet.  604 is always a favorite.  Good thing,  you can swap out the port door from rear on 604 without much trouble. One of the repros from riflesupply on e-bay for $12 shipped would definitely compliment for cheap.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sweet.  604 is always a favorite.  Good thing,  you can swap out the port door from rear on 604 without much trouble. One of the repros from riflesupply on e-bay for $12 shipped would definitely compliment for cheap.  

Whoa... I *TOTALLY* missed that. Embarrassing! I got the stripped upper with one of those Sporterized EZ-Windage knobs on it, that had to be cut off in the end, so it doesn't really surprise me that it has the wrong port cover on it. *ETA: Just ordered the right one. Thank you!

Quoted: Also the 604 I just finished a few threads down wasn't any cheaper at all than my 602 build. Food for thought.

No. Stop that. No...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 603 that looks exactly like that.  They dont match exactly, but I never really cared.  I just like the look and the mismatch kind of adds character.

Great looking rifle
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Whoa... I *TOTALLY* missed that. Embarrassing! I got the stripped upper with one of those Sporterized EZ-Windage knobs on it, that had to be cut off in the end, so it doesn't really surprise me that it has the wrong port cover on it. *ETA: Just ordered the right one. Thank you!

No. Stop that. No...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted: Also the 604 I just finished a few threads down wasn't any cheaper at all than my 602 build. Food for thought.

No. Stop that. No...

Sure. They both will be wearing the same Type C stocks and furnature, the early 604 receiver cost me $25 more than my 602 receiver did 6 years ago, they both have exactly the same BCG and a lot of the lower pieces are the same sans transitional bolt release. Barrels are both M VP 12's, early bend gastubes, etc. The end tally will be very close.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks great! love the stock
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Well done - I have a 604 that matches pretty much right on for color, but other builds that don't - I think its considered "character"!  Much like the stock as was mentioned.  Some of my builds I have intentionally had them rougher or more BFPU and some I have sought pristine parts to make them look like new.  Just have fun with it - and range report when you get a chance.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sweet.  604 is always a favorite.  Good thing,  you can swap out the port door from rear on 604 without much trouble. One of the repros from riflesupply on e-bay for $12 shipped would definitely compliment for cheap.  Use your existing rod and spring instead of one's furnished.  I use hemostats over a white sheet for rod clip install to keep from searching for it if dropped.  

Don't feel bad they don't color match very well on authentic original specimens or on current production lowers either.  Soak lower down with plenty of CLP and it wll get darker.

Retro music is a necessity.
View Quote

A note about those repro doors off Ebay. They are not 100% accurate reproductions. I bought 2 of these doors recently and while they look the part (& even appropriate color), the "clasp" assembly is not machined accurately (pin is different diameter & sits too far away from door lip) & thus the doors do not close tightly on many uppers.

Other than that, they are an ok substitute.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a classic right there. I think she looks great.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good luck with that!

We've got our hooks in you now!

We are Retro. Resistance is futile.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Good luck with that!

View Quote

I know, I know...

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good luck with that!

I know, I know...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/guttedhatch/IMG_2854_zpsfve5wchi.jpg

I'll take the slick side! Email for payment?

I've got a gray A2 upper and I WANT a gray flat top but know there's no such animal. I'll eventually have to have one anodized just to feed the sickness.

I keep aquiring parts and I don't know where they all come from!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've got a gray A2 upper and I WANT a gray flat top but know there's no such animal. I'll eventually have to have one anodized just to feed the sickness.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that!

I know, I know...

well there is...but you won't like the price

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471167899
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that!

I know, I know...

Well dammit that sucker IS purty but you are right about the price!

Ya think he could throw in a forward assist for that price!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I was under the impression that an "A3" was just an A2 with SAFE-SEMI-AUTO fire control group in it?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that an "A3" was just an A2 with SAFE-SEMI-AUTO fire control group in it?
View Quote

that's the official military designation.  on civilian models, A3 refers to any flattop receiver.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that!

I know, I know...

I was looking at these sniper gray cerakote uppers a couple of weeks ago. Might be a stand in alternative for the short term. I think I've decided on getting a black flat top.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-m16-stripped-upper-sniper-gray-cerakote-sku100015123-54395-142898.aspx

http://www.republicfirearmsstore.com/product-p/rfuprssg.htm
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top