Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Door number 1 please!

(But my OCD is still struggling with the opposing carbine/rifle!)
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd buy one of the red full color ones for my flight jacket (after I add Velcro) and a subdued one for my fatigues. Cool.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
When I used to do graphic design work and as I told Morg with his book cover I dont get precious over my work :-) so no worries ideas and opinions are just that and while I won't be able to design something everyone likes I'll try to incorporate as much of it as possible.

I did play around with some crossed rifle designs I'll post up some more this evening.

Thanks man
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't matter to me, just let me know when your ready
For some money.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i know you'll get a lot of opinions but here's my .02

make the skull more vietnam playing card like these, it'll make it a little more retro.

http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/8d/c6/blackwhite,cards,skull-8dc62e6aa4d1d70d17e2f54d1e4764d8_h.jpg?ts=93246

http://www.psywarrior.com/EagleJerryCard2.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, I was thinking that a more realistic skull would be appropriate. The tear drop shaped eye sockets look "alien".
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to get in on this, too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I used to do graphic design work and as I told Morg with his book cover I dont get precious over my work :-) so no worries ideas and opinions are just that and while I won't be able to design something everyone likes I'll try to incorporate as much of it as possible.

I did play around with some crossed rifle designs I'll post up some more this evening.

Thanks man
View Quote

James is very easy going, and great to work with. I still feel like I owe him for doing such a great job on the cover. (Those of you who bought books know what I mean.) He makes graphic design look easy. Me, OTOH - just spent 15 minutes on WIX trying to do a website and already have a damn headache. NOT my forte. I like the idea of shirts too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

James is very easy going, and great to work with. I still feel like I owe him for doing such a great job on the cover. (Those of you who bought books know what I mean.) He makes graphic design look easy. Me, OTOH - just spent 15 minutes on WIX trying to do a website and already have a damn headache. NOT my forte. I like the idea of shirts too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man

Definetly in for a shirt.  I've got a good friend who owns a shirt printing company if that helps?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]
It might trimdad thanks :). Ok Well i can make a square version. We might have to do a poll with options I don't know at this point. Anyway I did some mock ups of a round version with cross rifles. The motto is "the old the better" because frankly I can't come up with anything else cool.

If someone knows the date the first proto AR15 was made I can just put an EST 195X in there instead if you would like?

What I need right now is a consensus on the shape, orientation of the rifles and the logo on the helmet. I am thinking the bolt face is out so I do like the sight wheel.

IMAGES REMOVED SEE BOTTOM OF PAGE
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the red background, is it possible to outline the white border with a black line kinda like the banner with larger font? Crossed rifles under the skull looks better IMO.

ETA- I like like the date idea, how about sneaking the date in between the crossed rifles on the bottom of logo 1.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#11]

You can't please everyone, but I'm really digging the skull with the pineapple grenade in its mouth, the dent in the helmet is a nice touch too.

That said, I'm not wild about the 601 sight wheel but it's most definitely not a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Two More: I'm going to include all three options here and other than changing the shape, the "sight wheel" to something else or some of the text i'm calling these done so have at it here are your choices:

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Disregard.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I kinda dig number 4... Maybe instead of a grenade in his mouth
It could be a stack of hundred dollar bills,,,  and a small tear coming from his
Eye
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in for a pair of patches.

Maybe the overall shape could be a triangle with rounded corners like a set of handguards?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm in for a pair of patches.

Maybe the overall shape could be a triangle with rounded corners like a set of handguards?
View Quote

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea- sort of like the old 2nd armored Division patch? Retro wheel above skull in helmet, with rifles/carbines and Latin below? My personal favorite is: "Illegitimi non carborundum".
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I am a newbie too and still working on my retro project but I'd really like to have to have a couple. Great idea ;-)
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the ones with the rifles behind the skulls
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#19]
How about a bayonet in the teeth vs a grenade?
As far as everthing else goes, it's a good looking patch.
I like the more retro skull, verses the Mexican skull, or the alien skull.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How about a bayonet in the teeth vs a grenade?
As far as everthing else goes, it's a good looking patch.
I like the more retro skull, verses the Mexican skull, or the alien skull.
View Quote

I like this. , a. 601 bayo
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am a newbie too and still working on my retro project but I'd really like to have to have a couple. Great idea ;-)
View Quote

This goes for me as well.  

I have made quite a few patches/logos for work and most of the details won't come through in an embroidered patch.  The stitching and thread size makes it impossible.  Screen printing the logo on a shirt allows for a lot more detail.

For a embroidered patch I would keep it as simple as possible.  I know a few patch companies as well if needed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd be in for a couple patches and a t-shirt or 2. Nice work.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#23]

The latest rendition by far wins.  The skull might be a bit to complex for embroidered work though.

Can you provide a single color sticker version for car windows and gear boxes?

Wes
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the third one down.....Def some neat ideas.....cool.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok last two just for shits and giggles then off to find out about patches and tshirts.

The bayonet Idea didn't work so well. Either it was flat to the viewer and you couldnt tell what it was or sideways on it just didn't look right and getting a 601 bayo to scale made the whole thing look odd.

Made the shape triangular just so you guys can think about it.

I'm going with Morg's motto purely because it's something I often say myself.

So round or triangular is the final decision.

p.s. REMEMBER for patches don't sweat the small details because quite honestly a lot will get lost in the process. I'll send the high detail proof to the patch maker and they may have to downgrade the fidelity to make it work. I'll leave that in their capable hands. Tshirts are a little bit of a different story.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#26]

I like #6.  But someone mentioned making it triangular, with bobbed corners like the Triangular Handguards, and with a Bayonet in the Jaws instead of the grenade.

That would be neat to see a mock up of that.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I like #6.  But someone mentioned making it triangular, with bobbed corners like the Triangular Handguards, and with a Bayonet in the Jaws instead of the grenade.

That would be neat to see a mock up of that.

View Quote

Check the bottom of page 3
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Damn, you were fast......

I like #6 of the Round ones and #2 of the Triangular ones.

Any in Desert Tan, just joking.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a 601 bayonet but as close as I can mange. I stole the skull part off of the internet because i'm crap with blades.
I'll tidy up the skull before sending off.

IMAGE REMOVED BECAUSE ITS NOW OLD

OD green, desert tan won't be a problem. Color isn't an issue the design is more problematic.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I kind of like this last one. I would go for one in Desert (or Coyote Brown), OD, and the Red. The Red would look really cool on black.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I kind of like this last one. I would go for one in Desert (or Coyote Brown), OD, and the Red. The Red would look really cool on black.
View Quote

Me too. I'm wondering if you need two crossed rifles on that one, or just one horizontal rifle behind the word RETRO? Just a thought. The Kabar's tip looks a little odd, but I like it better than the grenade for some reason. Great work as always! I like the triangular patch best so far I think.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Can someone translate this new latin for me
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can someone translate this new latin for me
View Quote

"Don't let the bastards get you down."
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not a 601 bayonet but as close as I can mange. I stole the skull part off of the internet because i'm crap with blades.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/knifeskulltrianglesmall.jpg~original

OD green, desert tan won't be a problem. Color isn't an issue the design is more problematic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/knifeskulltrianglesmall.jpg~original

I like it.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Tan, FDE, OD it makes no matter where I live.  Because the desert is a living thing, and there is always green, tan & brown in it.

I live in the far eastern part of the Phoenix Valley, in the Superstition Mountain Foothills.  Great area.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Tan, FDE, OD it makes no matter where I live.  Because the desert is a living thing, and there is always green, tan & brown in it.

I live in the far eastern part of the Phoenix Valley, in the Superstition Mountain Foothills.  Great area.

View Quote

Find any hidden gold caches out there? I'd love to explore that area more some winter, but my truck needs too much work right now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok i'm done with them.

Morg I tried the Horizontal Rifle it causes all kinds of issue I can upload a version if you really want to take a look at it but it really doesn't look great:

Red:

FDE

OD Green
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ok last two just for shits and giggles then off to find out about patches and tshirts.

The bayonet Idea didn't work so well. Either it was flat to the viewer and you couldnt tell what it was or sideways on it just didn't look right and getting a 601 bayo to scale made the whole thing look odd.

p.s. REMEMBER for patches don't sweat the small details because quite honestly a lot will get lost in the process. I'll send the high detail proof to the patch maker and they may have to downgrade the fidelity to make it work. I'll leave that in their capable hands. Tshirts are a little bit of a different story.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/trianglepatch.jpg~original

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/trainglemuted.jpg~original
View Quote

These are my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

These are my favorite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/trianglepatch.jpg~original

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/trainglemuted.jpg~original

These are my favorite.

Me too Sputnik. The Kabar aint doing it for me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
very nice work

when I did my run of retro 601sightwheel patches, I kept it so those in the know would get the connection without advertising firearms to those who weren't savvy
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/6efd9a70.jpg
View Quote

Still have mine on my range bag & I've had one person give me the thumbs up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Sorry, not liking the kbar. It covers too much on the rifles. Other then that, pretty much any of the others.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sorry, not liking the kbar. It covers too much on the rifles. Other then that, pretty much any of the others.
View Quote

That's a good point. Simpler is sometimes better.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Knife is now gone emailing the image to the embroidery people today, thanks to Sven at Manticore arms for getting me in touch with someone. Once I get a proof or a pic of a proof i'll post it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#44]
I like it, good job man.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Knife is now gone emailing the image to the embroidery people today, thanks to Sven at Manticore arms for getting me in touch with someone. Once I get a proof or a pic of a proof i'll post it.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/triangleskullretrohonestlyfinal.jpg~original
View Quote

PERFECT!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#46]
What's the Latin translation again  ?..

If it was easy. ,, everybody would do it?  Could cause marriage problems?,,
Will drain your wallet?  ,
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#47]
"don't let the bastards grind you down"

Morg brought it up but it actually has a lot of personal meaning to me also lol.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#48]
thats actually figure outable (wihout Google )

illegetami leads to illegitimate as in children (bastard)
non is self explanatory.
carborundrum is familiar to anyone around abrasives.

loosely (as stated) don't let the bastards grind you down.

i'da went with "Perpetuus Constructus"

as an aside, i had to call a customer that speaks not one syllable of English.

no matter how loud you say it "el mototorclio es readyo" is NOT Spanish.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes it's not a verbatim translation but it's close enough

Despite taking 10 years of Latin mine is pretty rusty now thank god for google
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"don't let the bastards grind you down"

Morg brought it up but it actually has a lot of personal meaning to me also lol.
View Quote

When I first saw it, I was thinking of the loose translation--"Don't let the bastards get you down"--and thought it wasn't really "retro" specific.
But now that I consider the literal translation, I'm digging it as kind of a push-back to ol' Captain Crunch!  We've seen far too many old firearms ground up and spit out.

I want a patch, a tee-shirt, a vinyl sticker and, hell...maybe a new tattoo!  

Nice job!
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top