Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 6:39:34 PM EDT
I dont know if the M231 is considered retro enough, but I ran across these pictures of what was posted over on the SAR board of a stocked M231 with collapsible stock, old handguard and scope from a M1D Garand and Stoner bipod and from looking at it, a first style Colt 607 flash suppressor.

The second picture is one I bought off Ebay to resell and ended up being a real print of a "BRL M16"or so it says on the back and could be the prototype of the prototype.

Maybe some ideas for a Retro build or even a retro M231 pistol build!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Most awesome day ever.. Well this is kind of this thing Ive been wanting to clone, kind of.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Both of those pics should be stickied somewhere.

The scope on the first one looks unusable at that angle though. Had to say it. Any info from Small Arms of the World where that pic originates?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I am the farthest thing from an expert on these, but I didn't think M231's had any sight assembly, or even the provisions to mount one, in the carry handle.  And there's no way that scope is real--it doesn't even look like there are any mounts, it's just resting there on the carry handle.

It does look to me like an M231 lower, though, or at least the version that had the stock (I don't think they all did.)

I imagine this thread is not forgotten here, but just in case: http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_3_123/459672_index.html/page=1
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow XDm525Forty,

Thanks for the link to the M231!  I got to fire one on a desert range once.  More flame came out of the ejection port than the muzzle!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow...  I've been to the S. Pole,  2 Worlds Fairs, Climbed Mt. Antero. and have successfully kept down a cat head biscuit.....But never have I seen that first photo.

That's the prototype M231 that was proposed for egress. Hence the sights and stock.  I believe  it a was an RIA project in the early 70's.  Only other pic I have ever seen was in Small Arms of the World (Smith-Ezell).  Not the same pic as posted with moderator, M84, and bipod.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]
its twin is in The Black Rifle.

There is no bipod or random scope sitting atop it.
TBR says there is a folding front sight in there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, the ugliest of all ducklings.  

. . . yeesh. . .

:::starts collecting parts:::
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#8]
This picture is from a previous post.  Pic is taken out of The Black Rifle 1, so that is where the credit is due.

Looks like the one in the picture with the M3 with firing port adapter on the barrel may be the first  model without the stock or sights, and the one from the Black Rifle is a later prototype for ground use with sights and stock.  I guess the SAR one is a cobbled up unit.  Why that scope is added, is anyone's guess.  No info with the pitcure.

I wonder if any have shown up on the Rock Island Wonder Wall of Guns in their museum?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Just found this....Guess someone got a patent and cash award for developing a Firing Port Shotgun using the M231 firing port adapter to a Remington 870.  Damned thing needed a fume evacuator to work though....dumbest thing I ever saw.  Maybe a regular M231 firing frangible ammo or short range training ammo would be less lethal on the target and the shooter in my opinion.

Look it up for yourself.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/kAdams.pdf

I am not making it up  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just found this....Guess someone got a patent and cash award for developing a Firing Port Shotgun using the M231 firing port adapter to a Remington 870.  Damned thing needed a fume evacuator to work though....dumbest thing I ever saw.  Maybe a regular M231 firing frangible ammo or short range training ammo would be less lethal on the target and the shooter in my opinion.

Look it up for yourself.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/kAdams.pdf

I am not making it up  
View Quote

true. but..........
Its kind of like looking at a hmmwv with 3 speed and one with an overdrive..  One of the two is made to go 70plus for more than 20 minutes without the drivetrain getting too hot..
Doing mag dumps in a cab at 1200 rpm is a lot more gas in your face than 5-700. You and 4 freinds

Building a USA friendly model of the super fast open bolt FCG and action springs/stiker fire BCG will be quite difficult (unless you have dealer sample or a RR lower modded for the pins).
The stiker fire BCG is not going to fire on a closed chamber. Its open bolt or nothing.

Using the closed bolt parts I made it runs like a normal M16. Pulling off a 2 round burst, with accuracy is nothing. Its not the uncontrollable beast from the Bradley.
Or it would work on semi auto like normal. If I had more $$ I would make a hydraulic buffer.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top