Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 3:09:44 PM EDT
Was looking at tools for my upcoming build, and while most will work for the basic tasks I need to do, it occurred to me that many of the vise blocks on the market say for A2 uppers.  So, who has a good low cost block that will work with a retro upper??  Which one is everyone using over here for the A1 and before uppers??
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
A2 Vice blocks should work fine on A1 uppers.  You don't have anything to fill the bruton bump or forward assist holes, but that shouldn't matter.  Generally the rear sight is outside the block.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A2 Vice blocks should work fine on A1 uppers.  You don't have anything to fill the bruton bump or forward assist holes, but that shouldn't matter.  Generally the rear sight is outside the block.
View Quote

Ok, wasn't sure, I was looking at the Wheeler block which goes around the whole upper, carry handle and all, and gastube alignment tool, which I have seen for as cheap as $20 but it says compatible for A2, and flattop A3 models...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Barrel spline socket rod.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/kley-zion-armors-ar15m4-barrel-spline-socket-rod-4995-free-shipping

I use a Geissele Reaction Rod but it's twice as much.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Barrel spline socket rod.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/kley-zion-armors-ar15m4-barrel-spline-socket-rod-4995-free-shipping

I use a Geissele Reaction Rod but it's twice as much.
View Quote

Yeah, that's not a bad price.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ok, wasn't sure, I was looking at the Wheeler block which goes around the whole upper, carry handle and all, and gastube alignment tool, which I have seen for as cheap as $20 but it says compatible for A2, and flattop A3 models...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wheeler works great for A1 uppers, i use one myself.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ended up buying one of the wheeler armorers sets from cabelas, they had them on sale, and has pretty much everything I need, and a few goodies.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Just saw PSA has there vice block on clearance for $10
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#8]
be advised clamshells can leave marks thus unless modified (ground away) or padded

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#9]
The only receivers that don't work with clamshell type holders is billet receivers......at least from what I've noticed.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top