Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 8:11:33 PM EDT
So, I won an essential Arms AR15 on an online auction run by a local real estate business.  I have been wanting to build a model 711. Well, this is the epitome of a 711. So, I won't have to build one.  A1 lower Cast by Ruger supposedly, A2 stock and grip, with Triangle hanguards, and Rapidex type dial rear sight. It has a sloppy black paint job that I will be removing. I also put on my set of Lonestar handguards. This is THE rifle I envisioned when I planned to build one. I had it at 550, and pulled a bonehead and put in a force bid of 650. Well that put me 100 bucks against myself. So, I have learned what I force bid is, haha. Was going to keep upper and sell lower, but gonna keep it as is. With the PM code, is this a legit Elisco type? What about the paint. Is there anodizing under that? It's got a grey color under it flaked off at hammer pin.

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I bought a J15 earlier this year and it was made up of the exact same parts. PM upper, CMPB barrel, A2 stock and lonestar furniture.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting indeed, and what is your serial in relation to this one? The rifle come with the tri guards and I put the lonestars on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't worry about the price, hell you could get your money back out of the lower alone when you strip that aweful black paint off. Is that Rapidex Knob gold or is it just the camera playing tricks?

Upper and lower receivers were painted black, the charging handle appears to be black, everything will look great after the paint is gone. You can see gray peaking out from under the cary handle hole on the upper as well. I'd get to work disassembling the rifle and getting that paint off.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I learned a lesson though but that force bid may have deterred other bidders. It's a bargain either way. Gonna sell one and maybe two SGW prebans to pay for it and the other stuff I got.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
i would sell the lower to and get a black nds a1 lower and use everything else. $650 is not a bad price. i paid $1100 for a pre ban carbine few month ago. but i had a aluminum colt stock and 16" colt pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm gonna keep it together, as I think it's factory........
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting indeed, and what is your serial in relation to this one? The rifle come with the tri guards and I put the lonestars on.
View Quote

It was about 400 away from yours....pretty close really.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The early EA lowers were indeed anodized a light gray.  Back in the day, they matched Colt gray OK, but surplus parts kits were often black, so folks commonly spray painted over the gray to match, If you gently strip the paint, it should be a very matte gray anodized under it.

I really miss the 80s, but funny fact - I think EA receivers were like $55 in quantity and $75 if you got one, which interestingly enough is more than what some lowers go for today 20-30 years later.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Any tips for a safe non-damaging painter removal?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
The lower itself is worth what you paid.  Pre-ban non-Colt lowers are pricey in ban states that allow them. I think Connecticut is one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, the wife picked me up some aircraft stripper. So, it's attack of the paint remover on the essential lower later. I'll take several before and after pics.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#12]
http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/KYGun/media/Essential%20Arms/EAafter7_zps293e0118.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

Makeover............
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice.. Looks much better.

How long did it take ?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Which link above works? LOL, I can't get any of them to come up and work off my stupid laptop tonight.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#15]
this

http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/KYGun/library/Essential%20Arms?sort=3&page=1
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]
The aircraft stripper worked like a dream.  Took down lower, sprayed stripper on it, waited 15 minutes, took a plastic bristle brush, went over it gooed. sprayed with brake cleaner, wiped off. That was for the lower.

Now to the upper. The stripped did not budge the paint at all. So, I shot it with the rustoleum grey auto primer. Matches pretty darn good.  I am very happy with the difference.

I took about 45 minutes including breakdown and re-assembly.   I and SIDD posted the album link, but here's a couple closeups. " />" />
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:27:19 AM EDT
[#17]
The lower turned out really nice.  What kind of stripper did you use?  (can you post a pic?)  Some baked on paints will not come off unless you blast them off, for "regular" paints I have had good luck with this brand:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/130677110658?lpid=82

(no opinion on the seller)  I think they have low odor products, I would stick with the strong / bad smelling stuff.  I've run out of this and tried to use regular stripper but some paints just laugh at child safe paint strippers.  You have to spend the money and get the strong stuff.  

Quoted:
The aircraft stripper worked like a dream.  Took down lower, sprayed stripper on it, waited 15 minutes, took a plastic bristle brush, went over it gooed. sprayed with brake cleaner, wiped off. That was for the lower.

Now to the upper. The stripped did not budge the paint at all. So, I shot it with the rustoleum grey auto primer. Matches pretty darn good.  I am very happy with the difference.

I took about 45 minutes including breakdown and re-assembly.   I and SIDD posted the album link, but here's a couple closeups. http://<a href=http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/KYGun/Essential%20Arms/EAafter3_zps64903148.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/KYGun/Essential%20Arms/EAafter11_zpsb34a4154.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:43:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats a good match between upper and lower. But that A2 grip is hurtin' my eyes...

Seriously, great job so far!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Need a nice matte black A1 pistol grip and teardrop forward assist......and unless you like the gold rapidex knob......also an A1 site wheel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, for what I was going for, I think the a2 grip is accurate. I'll leave the dial knob on, and I, last night, put on a large head FA.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#22]
if that were my lower and was gonna keep it i would sand down the raised lettering, and the selector bumps and have them laser engraved. looking good tho.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That lower might be worth some money if you sold it to someone in CT
View Quote

Can NY'rs still have pre-ban lowers Aimless? It pisses me off every time I go back to see my folks and have to leave my guns with a friend in PA...

OP - That looks a LOT better after the work you did.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  That lower might be worth some money if you sold it to someone in CT
View Quote

I thought Massachusetts was the last Communist state that could still receive imported pre-bans?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#26]
This has a non-shrouded firing pin SP1 BDG in it with no markings on it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I thought Massachusetts was the last Communist state that could still receive imported pre-bans?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No CT still allows preban lowers and mags.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can still build on a preban lower, or it has to be complete?  Will keep in mind you can still import preban mags, have some old Glock 23 mags when I dig them out.  Also a 20 round AR mag.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top