Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 10:35:59 PM EDT
I took a chance on this A2.  The lower .223 is pre-ban serial of 1985.  No knowledge about the rest.  My gun dealer who I trust as a gunsmith said it was in great shape.  I asked if it multichambered for 5.56 and .223 and he said the barrel wasn't marked 5.56 but he measured and said it would shoot 5.56 as well.

How can I begin investigating what is original to the gun and what do I actually have here? ;^)

Also a spot of rust on sight I could use some help with best way to remove.  Any info for a new A2 owner appreciated.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
post some details of the bolt carrier group (markings on carrier or bolt)?

so no markings on the barrel?

the FSB looks like a cast one from olympic arms are the time.  the rust can be cleaned off with some steel wool and clp.

detailed pics will help us determine what's original and what's not.

the pivot pin is aftermarket.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Also note, The rifle has a A1 type stock.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Also has a A1 upper receiver (A1 sights and no brass deflector)

CD
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Bayo lug?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also has a A1 upper receiver (A1 sights and no brass deflector)

CD
View Quote

Sporters and Sporter IIs sometimes had A1 uppers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Negative.  The gray plastic is an A2 length stock, and was factory standard for all the Sporter IIs.  My own Sporter II is a few thousand earlier than that one, and came with an upper without forward assist, but otherwise nearly identical to that one.

OP: The barrel should read "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7" up towards the muzzle, and it's good to go for 5.56 regardless of the .223 markings on the receiver.

That recessed-screw pivot pin is not original - the early Sporter IIs still came with the double big-screw pivot pins.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Negative.  The gray plastic is an A2 length stock, and was factory standard for all the Sporter IIs.  My own Sporter II is a few thousand earlier than that one, and came with an upper without forward assist, but otherwise nearly identical to that one.

OP: The barrel should read "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7" up towards the muzzle, and it's good to go for 5.56 regardless of the .223 markings on the receiver.

That recessed-screw pivot pin is not original - the early Sporter IIs still came with the double big-screw pivot pins.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the sling swivel position in the first pic and the buttpad being non-checkered sure makes it look like an A1.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Upper & lower look to be factory Colt carry over A1 parts.  Not sure if barrel is original due to shiny black anodized delta ring.  Lone star HG's definitely aftermarket.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the slick side lower.  I like the rollmark too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

the sling swivel position in the first pic and the buttpad being non-checkered sure makes it look like an A1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A+ on it being an A1 butt plate, which likely makes it a A1 stock.   The upper matches well in color and may be Colt, but not factory for that gun as it has a small pivot hole. The front sight does look cast though.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the information gentlemen.  I will try and get some better pictures and break it down some to see what I can find and report back.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
thats a small hole upper on a large hole lower.  pivot pin hole that is..
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok gentlemen. More pictures.  Im starting to believe I have a Franken-gun - misc. pile of parts.  Not  a bad thing, was just hoping for something more close to full A2 specs.  I took a chance on this as I have always wanted one and this one came up and was in my wallet range.  I paid $775 (too much?)  Im happy with the look and feel, just not sure that's a fair deal considering its components.  If not the best deal - live and learn ;^)  I still like it.

-  No markings on barrel, does that make it cast?  Is cast a bad thing or just indication of originality (or lack there of)?  
-  Don't see any marking on trigger group (although I didn't take it apart yet).  Want to study first.
-  Hand guard basic Lone star aftermarket I believe.

Here are new pictures:

Hand guard cap and sight:

Trigger:

Action/Carrier:

Barrel end and brake:

Barrel mid:

Carrier:

Handguard:

All information greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#17]
How was the FSB attached to the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All information greatly appreciated.
View Quote

Barrel, upper, handguards, bolt carrier all replacements - not original Sporter II spec at all.

The hammer you picture (can't see the trigger, disconnector or selector in your pic) could be original - the notched hammer was correct for Colt for that era, but there were also notched aftermarket replacements out there.

Barrels are not cast, though that FSB could well be.  You'll need to somehow determine the twist rate of the barrel, since it doesn't appear to be marked.  Most inexpensive commercial aftermarket barrels tended to be 1/9 in the 90s to early 00s.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#19]
your rifle looks like it may have been a auto sear host, i may have a extra original front pin if your going to restore it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How was the FSB attached to the barrel?
View Quote

Two tapered pins to squeeze and there are two milled rabbit notches in barrel to receive two tabs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Your Upper Receiver is obviously Colt because it has the "C H" stamping at the Carry Handle area.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Two new pictures:

Barrel:  The mark looks like two overlapping "o" and what looks like a C is actually more like a G or 6

Carrier: With J marking

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:19:08 AM EDT
[#23]
bump
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#25]
The j stamped carrier is probably just a colt that wasn't stamped all the way. Looks like only half the stamp hit the carrier.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The j stamped carrier is probably just a colt that wasn't stamped all the way. Looks like only half the stamp hit the carrier.
View Quote

Nope, plenty of J stamped M16 carriers out there.  Contract spares replacements from the 70s and/or 80s.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nope, plenty of J stamped M16 carriers out there.  Contract spares replacements from the 70s and/or 80s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it may be stock or its at least colt replacement part?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it an M16 or an AR15 carrier?

The AR15s have more material cut out on the bottom.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither stock nor a Colt factory replacement. Spares parts were used at arsenal refurbish, and more commonly sold off commercially as overruns. I guess there's a small but nonzero chance it's a surplus upper off a demiled M16, but it's not likely.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks a Colt AR15 Sporter II, they were made in 1984-1986 or so, sort a transition from the SP1 to the ones with A2 sights

Mine has a orange tip on the buffer

My rollmarks

Upper

The rifle

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#31]
J stamped M16 carriers were Vietnam era replacements.  Jahn manufacturing also had a contract for 30 round M1/M2 carbine magazines during Vietnam.  I used to see J carriers a lot in the 80s...
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#32]
J marked carriers were produced by J C Manufacturing and were used on Depot rebuilds in the late '70's and early '80's.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Yours isn't a 100% factory

Differences I noticed:

1. the washer on the flashhider isn't period correct, they didn't use crush washers

2. front receive pivot pin doesn't look right

3. Serial number SP S1xxx looks fishy, never seen one with the the S after SP Looks like it's probably a "3"

4. butt stock "pad" or whatever looks SP1 ish not Sporter II ish

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
J stamped M16 carriers were Vietnam era replacements.  Jahn manufacturing also had a contract for 30 round M1/M2 carbine magazines during Vietnam.  I used to see J carriers a lot in the 80s...
View Quote

Learn something new here everyday.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, seen them but never knew they were contract replacements.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Barrel looks like an M&A Parts barrel (I have a SS 14.7 m4 profile one from them with that same stamping (double OO overlapped with a G or 6) near the barrel nut) with no other markings are present on mine.

Get a non-free-spinning-type cleaning rod & brush. Insert it in your barrel and pull until it starts to twist and then stop pulling on it. Mark a spot on the cleaning rod at the point that it leaves the tip of the flash suppressor. Continue to pull out the rod until it makes 1 complete revolution & stop again. Mark the cleaning rod a second time at the point it leaves the flash suppressor. Measure the distance between the 2 marks that you have made on the cleaning rod to determine the actual twist rate. The measurement will probably not be spot on, but will be close (IE: 7.1 inch or 8.8 inches). Should be close enough to indicate the barrel twist rate you have.

It's curious to see a cast front sight base in use on what appears to be a .750 barrel.

Hope this helps.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top