Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 8:33:58 PM EDT
To make this fit under 2k characters, I was in the market for an AR and about to buy one when my dad gave me his.  After tons of research I figured out it's a 1977 Colt SP1.  I was wanting a flat top, picatinny rails ect. Once I discovered what seemed to be similar ARs for sale for $2k + I thought well maybe you shouldn't put all that stuff on this one and would those accessories even fit this older model.  Also, would people who know their stuff about AR's blow their top when they see what I did to it.  So before I bring shame to myself and dishonor my family, I need to know what it's really worth.  If it's actually worth that, is it better to sell (get it to someone who would appreciate it more) and get what I had in mind or if it's not worth a bunch customize it how i want?

any help would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks

-J
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I say keep it and keep it stock and buy another to make all tactical. If it doesn't fit into your budget to buy another, now is the time though as they are cheap, then buy another upper for it but keep the original.

As for what it's worth, there is an appraisal thread for that that prohibits us from answering that here but I would say probably about 60% of the number you mentioned since it's not an early model or anything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone on the planet can build a new AR with rails and other tacticool goodies for less than an SP1 is worth, and the new one will be a better weapon, too. I'm guessing $2K is too high but SP1s start at over a grand usually. That's way too much money for a gun you're going to ruin and use as a starting point for a modern AR build. They're in demand both by retro Colt collectors (who want every part to be period correct and numbers matching) and people in ban states who want a pre-1994 AR.

A new lower receiver is $50. Start from there. No other parts of the SP1 would be usable as part of a modern build anyway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
a 1977 SP1 rifle in today's market will sell for $1000-$1100.  a carbine will be in the $1200-$1300 range.

if you wanted tactical, i'd say buy a colt 6920 for $800-$850 and leave the SP1 alone.  at the price of 6920s today, you wouldn't save that much buying an upper and trying to trick out the SP1.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I just built an M4gery for less than $500, including the lower.  Keep the SP1 stock, it is a collectable weapon.  In fact shoot it, and I think you may fall in love with it!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the others here.  Keep it as is....and build yourself what you want.  Besides if you do build one....you can build exactly what you want.  Or at least what you think you want.  

Also, you could pass your fathers SP1 down to future generations within your family.  Perhaps you have kids or will have kids.  Or a neice/nephew down the road that you could gift it too....things like that mean a lot if kept in the family.  

Shoot it.....i am sure you will enjoy her.

Welcome to the forum.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Original Colt SP1s aren't being made any more.  It's worth more in it's original condition than it would be if you started swapping parts, and even then it would never be what you really want.
Sounds like you probably want a tactical carbine or perhaps a very accurate rifle?  That 20" pencil barrel with a 1-in-12 twist ain't going to give you what you want.  

As others have said, build yourself what you want.  Prices are as low now as we've seen them in years--take advantage of it.  You'll be happier with the finished product.

I, too, would encourage you to keep your dad's rifle and pass it down someday.  But if you're really not interested in it, put it up for sale and use the proceeds to buy what you want.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If you sell it to fund something more 'tacticool', I can assure you that you will regret it down the road.

You can put together an M4gery cheap these days. And play 'barbie dress up' with all kinds of goodies from the equipment exchange
for a reasonable price.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top