BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/9/2014 1:16:38 PM EDT
Just bought this poor thing off the EE: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_163/1360879_Colt_3x20_Scope_w__carry_hadle.html

Looks like an early Japan-made scope. Now I need to fix it. First, are any parts of the outside painted or is it all anodized black? I'm gonna need to strip the camo off and don't want to take off original paint if it's there. Second, anyone here have spare dial covers or other parts kicking around? I can handle the screws easily enough but it's missing the adjustment cover hats.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just bought this poor thing off the EE: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_163/1360879_Colt_3x20_Scope_w__carry_hadle.html

Looks like an early Japan-made scope. Now I need to fix it. First, are any parts of the outside painted or is it all anodized black? I'm gonna need to strip the camo off and don't want to take off original paint if it's there. Second, anyone here have spare dial covers or other parts kicking around? I can handle the screws easily enough but it's missing the adjustment cover hats.
View Quote

the body is anodized, just be careful with the lens coating.  the small parts are pretty hard to find.  the screws that hold to mount to the body are metric.  you may be able to find hex screw equivalents, i couldn't find any slotted ones.  if you take the scope to gun shows, you may be able to see if the nc star or norinco knock offs fit.  i know that the caps don't always interchange even if they are colts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to say those stupid screws were an M4x.05 fine thread screw. I had less than zero luck finding those while I was looking, it was like 70 bucks for a custom order to have some made. I'd look across the pond as a start.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto about across the pond. There is a guy in England who makes custom screws for Enfields, etc. If I find his e-mail I will send it to you, but can't make any promises.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If it has camo paint on it, it may have actually seen combat in SE Asia. You might want to consider that before 'restoring it'.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it has camo paint on it, it may have actually seen combat in SE Asia. You might want to consider that before 'restoring it'.
View Quote

Desert tan on an A4 carry handle?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Slightly OT, but:
Been looking for a resource on the workings and repair of 3X20 scopes. I have a knock off that holds POI like sh*t. Thinking of doing a little exploratory fettling on it to see if there is something loose inside.

There was also a good thread about the Leatherwood mounts, which I never completed a purchase. Anyway. Retro scopes are getting to be a must for me.

Here is the sight of the guy in UK who I dealt with once re custom screws - http://www.customscrewsandmore.com/default.html

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd get a cotten swab and expiriment with basic paint thinner, and Goof Off to see what finish comes off.  Hopefully its anodized underneath or more durable than the rattle can paint on it.

Call me crazy, but it has a cool battlefield pickup look to it. Could always have it as a 91 Gulf War DMR like setup.  I can swear I've seen some 91 Gulf War footage where scopes were on ARs.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd get a cotten swab and expiriment with basic paint thinner, and Goof Off to see what finish comes off.  Hopefully its anodized underneath or more durable than the rattle can paint on it.

Call me crazy, but it has a cool battlefield pickup look to it. Could always have it as a 91 Gulf War DMR like setup.  I can swear I've seen some 91 Gulf War footage where scopes were on ARs.

View Quote

Yea I'm kinda diggin it too.

Count me as a leave as is vote! Do a DS BFPU!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
They have these Japanese 1:1 scale models of Colt scopes Japanese Colt Scope Model

Source of caps perhaps?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all, I didn't bother looking at the pic. Next time, try actually putting it in the thread - it's really easy. Secondly, who knows? All kinds of weird things find their way into war zones. Is it a Colt or FN carry handle? I didn't look. I'd just wipe it down gently with mineral spirits, but I could be wrong. Shouldn't hurt the anodizing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats my old scope
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thats my old scope
View Quote

Cool. Did it see service?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd buy the Japanese scale model of the Colt 3x20 scope before I'd buy a POS Chinese knockoff. The Japanese are usually sticklers for accuracy/quality and it's quite possible the screws, caps etc might fit an original Hakko Japan Colt scope. Another option if the spray paint removal doesn't work out well is paint it based on Vietnam era photos of Colt scopes
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]
It didnt see service.  My father gave it to me with box and all about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
the model is plastic so i wouldn't use that even if the thread pitch was right.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was looking for a realist art scope I came across a guy
Who repairs them. Old dude, he has been doing it for like
Thirty years. Since the early colt scopes where made by realist....
Maybe he could help with a cap ?

If you are interested I'll try and track down the number.

Good score on the scope, I almost bought it
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:40:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Colt USA scopes were made by Realist. I think this one is the first gen Japanese scope, so Hakko? Would be nice to talk to the guy regardless, though.

Hellraiser, where'd all the parts disappear off to?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I need to find the top cap for my 3x20, if you strip off the paint I've had success restoring Aimpoint bodies with Alumiblack which are also Anodized. I may have some before and after pictures of the last one I did, after cleaning, and touching it up; scratches/wear with Alumiblack  and getting lens flip-up caps it looked fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Got the scope today. It's a Japan model. Luckily that spray paint is no match for acetone, and underneath it's actually in quite good condition. I predict many hours with a Q-tip and tiny brushes in my future. Will post pics.

Haven't measured the screws but they are a stupidly fine metric thread. If anyone finds a cheap source drop me a line.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
So here's where we're at now. From this:

To this:

Still need the screws and caps.

Two questions:

1. How do you keep the scope from rocking back and forth in the carry handle? The mount isn't very positive to start with and with a spring-loaded latch it's a bit wobbly.

2. Under the bezel ring at the back of the scope body there was a snap ring around the eyepiece threads, apparently to keep you from accidentally unscrewing it all the way. However it's a tight fit and it had ruined all the threads it was resting on. I took it out to prevent any more damage but is there something I'm missing or is this just a really bad design?

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Slightly OT, but:
Been looking for a resource on the workings and repair of 3X20 scopes. I have a knock off that holds POI like sh*t. Thinking of doing a little exploratory fettling on it to see if there is something loose inside.

There was also a good thread about the Leatherwood mounts, which I never completed a purchase. Anyway. Retro scopes are getting to be a must for me.

Here is the sight of the guy in UK who I dealt with once re custom screws - http://www.customscrewsandmore.com/default.html

View Quote

Scott, customscrews, is in the States! GA is still part of the USA, right?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Shit, I have one of those [original Colt] scopes with mount in mint condition, with the original box and cleaning cloth just laying around in the back of my safe. I didn't realize they were so sought after.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Shit, I have one of those [original Colt] scopes with mount in mint condition, with the original box and cleaning cloth just laying around in the back of my safe. I didn't realize they were so sought after.
View Quote

Only to us retro geeks!
Photos are really required, though...I'm sure we'd all like to see what version you have!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Just picked up two of these. One is in BFPU condition and all there. That one is going on my buddies BFPU 603 I built a while back and posted on here. It is a 3x20 Colt that appears to have the Colt engraved in the body. The second one is a BFPU and is missing a screw and the mounting hardware. I was thinking of buying a China knock off and stripping the parts I need. It is also a 3x20 Colt, but the Colt looks painted on. Anyone have suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just picked up two of these. One is in BFPU condition and all there. That one is going on my buddies BFPU 603 I build a while back and posted on here. It is a 3x20 Colt that appears to have the Colt engraved in the body. The second one is a BFPU and is missing a screw and the mounting hardware. I was thinking of buying a China knock off and stripping the parts I need. It is also a 3x20 Colt, but the Colt looks painted on. Anyone have suggestions?
View Quote

both the 3x20 and 4x20 had painted and engraved logos.  the thread pitch also may vary even btw the japanese models so a chinese clone may not fit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#26]

I have one attachment bolt/leaf spring assy for Colt scope.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Send me an IM if you want to sell.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I can handle the screws easily enough but it's missing the adjustment cover hats.
View Quote

Any luck on the screw?

Both of my scopes showed up today. The one that is complete is already mounted on my buddies 603 BFPU. For the missing mounting assembly on the second one, I was able to work out a deal to get it. The scope is still missing a screw though. I did not want to chase one down if someone had already done so.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#29]
The BFPU...

I tried Hipshot's idea of hitting the other one with Alumniblack. Not sure if I like it. Better one, better two, one... two...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:45:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn , how does somebody let a scope get that bad .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#31]
They look like they were service scopes. Mounted and not removed. They are engraved with rifle serial numbers as well. They may not look pretty, but they work perfect!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:28:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Wish I still had my old Colt 3-20 scope.. Can't even remember who I sold it to on here...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They look like they were service scopes. Mounted and not removed. They are engraved with rifle serial numbers as well. They may not look pretty, but they work perfect!
View Quote

When I got mine somebody had welded a block inside Chanel in the mount
That would have allowed you to still use the factory sights.
Not sure why. I had to take a dremel to it to be able to get the new screw
To work .
What are you going to do with them ? One would look
Good ontop of a heavy BFPU gun
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Those do look like they saw military service.

Anyone know the scoop on these being procured and used on US military weapons?  I've heard some were acquired outside of the normal means during the rush for equipment in the first Gulf War in 91.  That does seem to make some sense as these were closer to the same vintage as that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#35]
To keep to the OP point, only one am I "restoring". It was missing parts and was had very cheap. The complete one you see in the first picture was intended to be used "as-is".  It went on this BFPU  rifle. I'll have to try to get a complete picture, but it is my buddies and he now has it.

I have read on this sight that these were PX buys for soilders and marines during Nam. I have no first hand knowledge of that. I was thinking these two were some type of police use, but could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#36]
What part of the scope did you try the AlumiBlack on? I only have 1 Colt 3x20 which I posted in a thread a few weeks back, the scope body's finish is nearly perfect so no touchup was needed. I suggested the AlumiBlack because of my success restoring Aimpoint bodies/knobs with it, wondering how it looks on the Colt Scopes. I too need just a top cap and can tell you don't waste your money. Boywonder is 100% correct, I had a Cheap $60.00 GB 4x20 and the top cap don't work. Is there a source anywhere to buy top and side caps? I'd pay 5x the value of the top piece I'm missing just to complete my scope because it's so gorgeous it kills me that it's missing a tiny and almost insignificant part.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
To keep to the OP point, only one am I "restoring". It was missing parts and was had very cheap. The complete one you see in the first picture was intended to be used "as-is".  It went on this BFPU  rifle. I'll have to try to get a complete picture, but it is my buddies and he now has it.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/F11F717D-7647-45BD-9263-CFE4B97925E9_zpsdsne3i8p.jpg

I have read on this sight that these were PX buys for soilders and marines during Nam. I have no first hand knowledge of that. I was thinking these two were some type of police use, but could be wrong.
View Quote

love the finish on your rifle......
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What part of the scope did you try the AlumiBlack on? I only have 1 Colt 3x20 which I posted in a thread a few weeks back, the scope body's finish is nearly perfect so no touchup was needed. I suggested the AlumiBlack because of my success restoring Aimpoint bodies/knobs with it, wondering how it looks on the Colt Scopes. I too need just a top cap and can tell you don't waste your money. Boywonder is 100% correct, I had a Cheap $60.00 GB 4x20 and the top cap don't work. Is there a source anywhere to buy top and side caps? I'd pay 5x the value of the top piece I'm missing just to complete my scope because it's so gorgeous it kills me that it's missing a tiny and almost insignificant part.

<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/001.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/001.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/004-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/004-1.jpg</a>

View Quote

When I got my scope , I could not find any parts at all.
You could always get braceman to make you a new top cap.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/001.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/001.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/004-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/004-1.jpg</a>

I'll ask him, I believe I'd need to send him the scope to get the cap correct. Thats if he even considers doing the job.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Thank you . The upper is real wear, untouched by me. It came from a RTI kit. The lower was new with fresh finish that I aged.

On the Alumniblack, look at the scope on the left. It was scratched worse then the one on the right that is untouched. The bare spots covered up, but you can still see the difference. If I had a small scratch, I would use it. This thing was 40% scratch bare. I think it would do a good job on the caps and eye piece slots that tend to wear.

On the screws, I reached out to Scott at the link provided earlier in the thread. He is researching cost and the possibility of creating a four screw kit to sell. I will keep you updated.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Based off of your photo, it looks like I am missing the small side cap also. I had not even noticed that.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Based off of your photo, it looks like I am missing the small side cap also. I had not even noticed that.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/F40C3054-E8C4-4DA5-BF0C-3713DCFED6D3_zpsunovh2pf.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/F40C3054-E8C4-4DA5-BF0C-3713DCFED6D3_zpsunovh2pf.jpg

I'll lend Braceman my side windage cap to reproduce if you can lend your elevation cap to reproduce, I know of at least 6-7 guys looking for caps so it woud be worth his while to make them and I just called a real deal Vietnam Armorer who workede on Realist and Hakko scopes and he's out of both caps, but charges $30 for each. I'd offer to pay Braceman $40 for the elevation cap.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 3x20 that is missing this part as well....message me if I can get rid of this felt washer and nylon lock nut rig
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I just Emailed Braceman and Trimdad offered up his Caps as Templets, I told him theres a bunch of us needing these caps and what K&I charges for them when he gets them in stock. K&I charges $30 for the Elevation Caps and $20 for the windage. I'd personally pay more for an Elevation Cap if I could find one right now. I asked Braceman to pop by and grace us with his presence and knowledge......oh and hopefully an answer that will make me happy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#45]
You guys seem to have the ball rolling on the parts sourcing thing. Count me in if as far as caps and screws if having more interest will make a difference.

I'm actually not specifically a retro guy so if anyone wanted this scope I'd sell it and buy a Burris AR332 if their quality is OK.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You guys seem to have the ball rolling on the parts sourcing thing. Count me in if as far as caps and screws if having more interest will make a difference.

I'm actually not specifically a retro guy so if anyone wanted this scope I'd sell it and buy a Burris AR332 if their quality is OK.
View Quote

Get the screws, buy the caps (if Braceman makes them) and enjoy the scope. If you sell it, you will curse the day you did for years to come.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I just found this one in the AR15.com archives of these scopes being the real deal and seeing action.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

On the screws, I reached out to Scott at the link provided earlier in the thread. He is researching cost and the possibility of creating a four screw kit to sell. I will keep you updated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I got a question back from Sott about the screw size. I cut and pasted the data from an earlier post in this thread. Does anyone know the answer for sure?

Quoted:
I want to say those stupid screws were an M4x.05 fine thread screw. I had less than zero luck finding those while I was looking, it was like 70 bucks for a custom order to have some made. I'd look across the pond as a start.

"Can you verify the thread size.You listed it as 4mmx .05mm, and I am hoping you meant to say 4mm x .5mm."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top