Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 10:30:37 PM EDT
What can you gentlemen tell me about these rifles, more importantly the lower receivers.

Would one of the lowers be a good host for a modern complete upper. Will it accommodate a modern LPK?

Are the take down holes the same size as modern upper receivers?

Would a serial #EA102xx be considered a real pre-ban?  I live in CT. so.....

I have the opportunity to buy one but want to put a new complete upper on the lower.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
if it's a grey cast receiver like the one i have pictured below, it is preban and good to go.  a modern lpk will fit and it has the standard/milspec pivot pin.  they differ in exterior dimensions slightly from a normal forged receiver.  the boss around the buffer tube area is shaped a little different, the raised fence around the takedown pin housing and mag button are a little different and it curves outward a little to match the contour of the around under the ejection port on the upper.  the selector stops are also non standard.  

those however are just some visual differences that don't make any difference on fit or function.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if it's a grey cast receiver like the one i have pictured below, it is preban and good to go.  a modern lpk will fit and it has the standard/milspec pivot pin.  they differ in exterior dimensions slightly from a normal forged receiver.  the boss around the buffer tube area is shaped a little different, the raised fence around the takedown pin housing and mag button are a little different and it curves outward a little to match the contour of the around under the ejection port on the upper.  the selector stops are also non standard.  

those however are just some visual differences that don't make any difference on fit or function.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/s0b3/for%20sale/20140818_165706.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/s0b3/for%20sale/20140818_165717.jpg
View Quote

Yeah...it is grey like like yours.  I had the serial number wrong,  it is #10605.  Is this a pre-ban?  I cant see from the pic I have if there is a EA in front of the number and cant see if there is a -2 after it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah...it is grey like like yours.  I had the serial number wrong,  it is #10605.  Is this a pre-ban?  I cant see from the pic I have if there is a EA in front of the number and cant see if there is a -2 after it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all J-15 are preban.  J-15-F are postban forged.  they made some J-15-2 that were postban cast ones as well.

essential arms sold the tooling to dpms before the ban.  early DPMS had cast lowers that looked like these.  not all cast DPMS are preban though.  they made them past the ban before they switched to forged.  after the ban sunset, essential arms got back in the lower business.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Here are two pic.  Please let me know what are your thoughts concerning the lower receiver

" />

" />
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

all J-15 are preban.  J-15-F are postban forged. they made some J-15-2 that were postban cast ones as well.

essential arms sold the tooling to dpms before the ban.  early DPMS had cast lowers that looked like these.  not all cast DPMS are preban though.  they made them past the ban before they switched to forged.  after the ban sunset, essential arms got back in the lower business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all J-15 are preban.  J-15-F are postban forged. they made some J-15-2 that were postban cast ones as well.

Without being able to see the serial number clearly, there is no way to determine if this is one of the J-15-2 post ban reveivers.

This is what I am afraid of....it being a post ban.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Without being able to see the serial number clearly, there is no way to determine if this is one of the J-15-2 post ban reveivers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

can you ask them to verify the model number?  if you have the serial, you can call essential arms and they can verify it for you.  fwiw, i've never seen a J-15-2 lower but i've seen a lot of J-15s.  i don't think there were that many J-15-2 out there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

can you ask them to verify the model number?  if you have the serial, you can call essential arms and they can verify it for you.  fwiw, i've never seen a J-15-2 lower but i've seen a lot of J-15s.  i don't think there were that many J-15-2 out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would call but I didn't think they still existed.

Does the lower look to be correct as compared to yours?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#8]
from that pic, it looks correct.  sent you an email with some additional info on serial numbers as well.  if i were you i'd buy it.  i'm pretty confident it's preban.

they are still in business.  vaughan is a good guy
ESSENTIAL ARMS CO.
P.O. Box 121
Krotz Springs, LA 70750
www.essentialarms.com
337-945-0185
337-566-0068 /FAX

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 9am-4pm
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
from that pic, it looks correct.  sent you an email with some additional info on serial numbers as well.  if i were you i'd buy it.  i'm pretty confident it's preban.

ESSENTIAL ARMS CO.
P.O. Box 121
Krotz Springs, LA 70750
www.essentialarms.com
337-945-0185
337-566-0068 /FAX

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 9am-4pm
View Quote

Hey...Thanx very much for your assistance.  I really appreciate the help and the good info.  I will try to get a hold of them tomorrow  and send a email.

why do you think the lower is so faded out?  someone trying to sand of pertinent info maybe?

What would you say it is worth as shown....20" barrel ...looks to be mostly original.  I am in it for the stripped lower.  I want to put a new 14.5 upper on it.

anyway...thanx again.   Too bad there is not a list of pre ban serial numbers for essential around.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hey...Thanx very much for your assistance.  I really appreciate the help and the good info.  I will try to get a hold of them tomorrow  and send a email.

why do you think the lower is so faded out?  someone trying to sand of pertinent info maybe?

What would you say it is worth as shown....20" barrel ...looks to be mostly original.  I am in it for the stripped lower.  I want to put a new 14.5 upper on it.

anyway...thanx again.   Too bad there is not a list of pre ban serial numbers for essential around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ESSENTIAL ARMS CO.
P.O. Box 121
Krotz Springs, LA 70750
www.essentialarms.com
337-945-0185
337-566-0068 /FAX

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 9am-4pm

they finished theirs in a light grey so it's not faded or sanded.  just the color they chose.  value-wise it's hard to say.  i know up in CT, prebans sell for a lot so i think if you can get it for $1200 or less, it's a fair deal given your market.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey OP, If you need me to take a look at it for you to make sure it's what you want let me know.

ETA: Just in case you need someone a little closer to take a look at it in person.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey OP, If you need me to take a look at it for you to make sure it's what you want let me know.

ETA: Just in case you need someone a little closer to take a look at it in person.
View Quote

It is in Maine so don't know how you would check it out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the purchase coming from an individual? Don't wanna see you spend money on something you can't bring in state.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Right..Neither do I.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

they finished theirs in a light grey so it's not faded or sanded.  just the color they chose.  value-wise it's hard to say.  i know up in CT, prebans sell for a lot so i think if you can get it for $1200 or less, it's a fair deal given your market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ESSENTIAL ARMS CO.
P.O. Box 121
Krotz Springs, LA 70750
www.essentialarms.com
337-945-0185
337-566-0068 /FAX

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 9am-4pm

I got your email about the numbers.  I am very happy to hear that number is a pre-ban.  I will still call just to verify like you suggested.  thanx again for your help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad it was preban.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glad it was preban.
View Quote

Yup...sweet.  Just have to find a FFL that will do the XFER
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone tried one of those ITEM C2.

Vinyl coated collapsible s to c k.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried one of those ITEM C2.

Vinyl coated collapsible s to c k.
View Quote

Go back a few pages, I think NavyChief-Ret bought one.... Either way just flip back a few pages, you will find it.

P.S. - They look real good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I really liked the Essential Arms J-15 cast lowers.  Before Eagle Arms came out with lowers, the Essential Arms were the only ones in XM grey. PWA, NESARD, and SGW were all black.  The EAs matched the mill=surplus parts, which was just about all we could get.  The ONLY drawback was their block so you could not put a drop in auto sear and happy switch....  In the 80s, drop in auto sears were still very common, and grandfathered pre-86 ones with papers were fairly easy to get...
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top