Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 2:14:43 PM EDT
I have this upper and I'm not sure the maker.  I saw a post about the H&R uppers and the rear flash on the back.  Is this an H&R?  If not, anyone know the maker?

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that a big "1" in the area where the Colt proofs would be if it was indeed Colt, which it isn't.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
is there a number in a circle on the underside of the forward assist?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is there a number in a circle on the underside of the forward assist?
View Quote

No, no markings that I see.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
ok the forward assist may have been changed out.  the front lug looks rebated, did h&r rebate their lugs or did they come in both flavors?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello cplstevennorton.  There have been a few upper receivers that have shown up with large numbers stamped in the sides like yours, I had one and it was bead blasted and refinished with Norrells.  (Mine was stamped with a "1" and a "G" on the other side if I remember correctly)  I don't think those large markings were applied at the factory.  I'm guessing if uppers like these were original finish we would see some aluminum where the numbers were stamped but I have never tried it myself.  

It is hard to tell from your picture, but does the ark transition from the front face of the receiver to the carry handle valley have what looks like belt sander marks running from side to side like this one?

The shape of the forging contours, the "R", and arrow all look like what I think is an earlier GM forging.  If you look at the tacked GM / H&R thread there are more examples of parts we have good reason to believe are from GM rifles than we do for H&R rifles so I think we are less sure what an original H&R upper is.  It might be worth putting some good paint stripper on that and see what comes off, I have had good results with this brand (I can't vouch for the seller, I found this in a web search)

http://www.tcpglobal.com/KLE-GAR343_2.html?gclid=CJqNw4Oyt8ACFQiDfgod8QwACA
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine looks like this one and has the rebate.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top