BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 7:11:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
i have seen that, especially with the air force repacks.  i think it's a basically oil that was in the plastic bag that evaporated and left that as residue on the upper.  not sure what to use to remove it.  i wouldn't use any really harsh chemicals b/c it might harm the finish.  seeing as it's more than likely dried oil, it's start with some really hot water and dish soap.  soak it for a bit and use an old toothbrush to see if you can get it off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is oil, maybe washing as mentioned and then hitting it with some lightweight... oil.  WD-40 or the like. Worth a try.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess you can see the pictures  I can't.  It does look like oil but I can't get it off I even tried alcohol  And clp ill try the soap hot water. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess you can see the pictures  I can't.  It does look like oil but I can't get it off I even tried alcohol  And clp ill try the soap hot water. Thanks
View Quote

it may need a soaking.  next step i'd try would be some mineral spirits.  maybe soak a cotton ball and set it on top.  it doesn't evaporate as fast and should break down the oil.  it shouldn't hurt the anodizing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow look what soap and hot water did  it looks like a coating
[" />
</a>" />
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Break cleaner/electronic contact cleaner time...   then a coat of light oil, like CLP or CRC.
Looks almost like someone put white lithium grease on it or maybe one of the other heavy preservative greases like cosmoline.
(On the old surplus stuff they used oven cleaner, but that will take the anodizing off, it's fine for blue and wood.)
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Try mineral spirits. This used to be called cleaning solvent and is available at Home Depot and other home improvement stores. I have it in a solvent tank/parts washer. It is great for removing oil/grease/cosmolene etc.. If I want to be VERY gentle with the original finish, I use mineral oil. It will gently dissolve grease and oil without harming the underlying surface.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Its getting a little better I think  so far I have  soaked and scrubbed in soapy scalding hot water  and soaked in wd 40  . I guess I'll try mineral spirits
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b512/Rickysharon/imagejpg1_zps201f1807.jpghttp://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b512/Rickysharon/imagejpg2_zpsd57965d8.jpg
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Dish washer, then when it comes out hot work any other spots needed, break clean, then oils. MHO
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd put it in a ziploc bag with paint stripper, I've used this brand and it works great.  (don't have an opinion on the seller / site, I just found this in a web search)

http://www.tcpglobal.com/KLE-GAR343_2.html?gclid=CJqNw4Oyt8ACFQiDfgod8QwACA
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dish washer, then when it comes out hot work any other spots needed, break clean, then oils. MHO
View Quote

How do you get away with that i tried but the wife caught  me now I'm banned from the kitchen  .
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do you get away with that i tried but the wife caught  me now I'm banned from the kitchen  .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I am pretty sure it's not within the COC for me to reply how I get away with half the stunts I pull around here

It really works. When she goes out next run it in the washer then run an empty cycle should clean up any of the evidence. I wish I had a spare dishwasher.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Try a de-greaser. I've used both acetone and denatured alcohol. Neither will damage the anodizing. They will suck the oils or grease out of the finish. You may end up with the anodizing looking a bit lighter. After degreasing,if it removed the splotches but you want the darker gray back,place receiver in zip-lok baggie with plenty of CLP and leave it a few days.Then wipe dry and all is well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Try a de-greaser. I've used both acetone and denatured alcohol. Neither will damage the anodizing. They will suck the oils or grease out of the finish. You may end up with the anodizing looking a bit lighter. After degreasing,if it removed the splotches but you want the darker gray back,place receiver in zip-lok baggie with plenty of CLP and leave it a few days.Then wipe dry and all is well.
View Quote

I've used simple green in moderation with hot water and it work well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya just gotta train em right!

Besides. I know how to make the dishwasher inoperable and then be in no hurry to "fix" it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top