Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 7:42:03 PM EDT
Anything special about a charging handle that is stripped and polished looking (silver)? If not, I'm DuraCoating it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
prolly got sandblasted or had the anodizing chemically removed.  i'd have no problem refinishing it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
post up or PM me a pic if its close to what I'm looking for I would have no problem trading you for a black one ??
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it look like one of these?  (row of dots along the back)

Quoted:
Anything special about a charging handle that is stripped and polished looking (silver)? If not, I'm DuraCoating it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing special that I can tell, no holes in the end.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Just looks to be an old CH with the finish worn off and the latch replaced.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]

My Son worked at an aluminum extrusion plant and brought this home for me, was off of the first end of a run and was rejected.
Pretty Cool Paperweight!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#7]
You sure that's not a Coltguard charging handle?  Pictures sure look like it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You sure that's not a Coltguard charging handle?  Pictures sure look like it.
View Quote

Nope, I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking before I just paint it. the thought crossed my mind that it could be a Coltguard. I need a colt gray one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac85/dirtywillie/extrusion_zps58a2dadd.jpg
My Son worked at an aluminum extrusion plant and brought this home for me, was off of the first end of a run and was rejected.
Pretty Cool Paperweight!
View Quote

That is a neat paper weight!!! AR people would guess what it is right away.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty Cool Paperweight!

I've got an A1 upper kinda like that, it's out of spec so they stopped machining the inside. Looks the part on the outside but it's similar to an 80% lower internally. I sprayed it primer gray, put a beater A2 port door assembly on it, and rear sight screw, A2 aperature w/Rapidex wheel just to make it look cool. Found it at an old ladies yardsale...makes for a good conversation piece on my desk at work with the new hires.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty Cool Paperweight!

Yeah, he figured I knew what it was, but he tried!
(He did not know what it was till he looked at the dwg., and, mfg.)
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't know if it means anything but this is a picture of when I was going thru basic training at Ft. Jackson in 1988.
Check out the charging handle on the rifle being inspected.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I want to tell you it is not as rough as the silver one you have pictured, but no were near as smoth as the black one. Take a look and see what you think.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't know if it means anything but this is a picture of when I was going thru basic training at Ft. Jackson in 1988.
Check out the charging handle on the rifle being inspected.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag66/geobartlett/Upper/003Medium_zpsdac4a864.jpg~original
View Quote

So does anybody think it could be from a contract that was just to replace parts
on training rifles? Don't know but I think its strange that this shows up in a picture at a training facility.
on a basic training rifle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I found it strange that it was not questioned and was just excepted in the inspection. It had to be USGI...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Since you can still see the milling marks on the handle end, I have a hard time believing that's finish wear.

If you aren't tied to keeping it, shoot me a message here and I'll buy it from you for the cost of a current milspec replacement.  I'm curious to see it in my own hands and perhaps come up with a use for it.  I've got a couple FDE builds in progress so worst case, I'll just GunKote it.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#18]
The rifle I was going to use it on is a Franken A1 carbine I'm building for my daughter. No Colt parts because she wants a "muddy girl" type pait job with DuraCoat. If the handle was scrap, I was just going to coat it. What I may do is swap it out for a black one I been meaning to replace on a Colt retro rifle. I'll find a gray one to replace the one with. I'd like to see someone be able to use it, but if it is not worth the effort, I'd just coat it or put it on the PIF thread.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:01:41 AM EDT
[#19]
OP has an ordinary "Colt grey" anodized CH!

The light is reflecting off the CH, giving it that metal look.

Not a Colt Guard or bare metal part.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:34:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP has an ordinary "Colt grey" anodized CH!

The light is reflecting off the CH, giving it that metal look.

Not a Colt Guard or bare metal part.
View Quote

Wrong on that one. It is shiny and looks unworn on the finish. It appears like it has never been gray or black coated. It is silver in color like raw metal. Trust me on that one. This ain't my first rodeo, I have been restoring metal parts for 35 years. I am able to tell the differance.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#21]
So we know the latch has been replaced and that the areas that got handled had friction turned purplish gray, so what does the finish on a Colt Guard do when worn/excessivly handled?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
so what does the finish on a Colt Guard do when worn/excessivly handled?
View Quote

There would be areas where the nickel would not come off and be a direct contrast from the raw color of the bare aluminum ..
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#23]
My gut tells me this was never coated or maybe clear anodized. The only issue for me is what this type of handle would be used for. If someone had a true need for it in this condisition and had a gray one I would swap. I'm not attached to it and have no need for it. I just thought it was different and figured I'd ask before I coated it. I appreciate all the responses and the time others have taken to give their opinion on it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Again OP, if you are interested in selling it for the cost of a coated replacement shoot me a PM.  For all we know this was an aftermarket part that was sold sometime before 'milspec' really took off.  The 70's through early 90's saw a wide variety of odd low volume parts released to the public.

Wes
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top