Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 9:37:05 AM EDT
My local gun store knows I look for  old Colt AR parts and rifles. They had this put aside for me to look at. What is it? All A2 parts, except the barrel?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt Automatic Rifle or LMG upper, on a Match Target lower.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Those uppers are not cheap, even by themselves. I paid $219 just for the upper receiver. The complete uppers with bipod are pretty expensive. They use a larger gas tube IIRC, but the gas tube hole on mine looks normal, which makes me wonder. I haven't measured it with micrometers though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the quick reply. Is the upper rare? Worth much with the wrong lower?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#4]
They aren't much in demand, except for guys who have RRs - they were designed as an open bolt, LMG - heavy barrel etc. You'll have to look around, but IIRC, the uppers with bipods go for around $1500 - maybe more, maybe less, I just don't remember. If it's a good deal, you could peddle the upper and score a Colt Match lower for nothing. I know Autoweapons.com had some for sale, but they are always high. Google 'Colt LMG upper' and you should get some hits.

ETA: Autoweapons has one listed for $4495 - I see other listings for around $2K  - autoweapons is high on everything. $2k complete upper sounds about right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure it's Colt if you're going to buy it as there are aftermarket versions of them as well that are more common and cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's a good deal, you could peddle the upper and score a Colt Match lower for nothing.

ETA: Autoweapons has one listed for $4495 - I see other listings for around $2K  - autoweapons is high on everything. $2k complete upper sounds about right.
View Quote

You were reading my mind. I can get the whole rifle for much less then $2,000 if that is what they are truley selling for.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't mind buying it if you don't.
I could use the LMG upper on my M16

make sure its not Vulcan.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Make sure it's Colt if you're going to buy it as there are aftermarket versions of them as well that are more common and cheaper.
View Quote

Yes it looks aftermarket. Factory LMGs didn't have the M60 bipod as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#9]
COLT RO-750, pretty cool, A2 without a forward assist because of open bolt firing (in the actual machine gun).   I remember seeing distributors pitch them as Colt Heavy Barrels (not HBAR) and CDNN (I think) selling them eventually for a pretty decent price once no one wanted them.  Should have bought a few.  Kind of remember seeing an ad with the bipod (with holes).  It's been a long time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
AFAIK, Colt is the only one who made an A2 upper like that w/o forward assist, but having the Brunton Bump. I would still check it for Colt proof marks. If you could get the whole thing for under $2k and it's all Colt, I'd do it, then sell the upper, perhaps w/o the BCG.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The distinguishing feature of an authentic Colt LMG upper is lack of a forward assist.
These uppers were designed to fire from an open bolt and accidentally bumping a forward assist with the bolt back would be very dangerous.

Some came with M60 bipods...some even came with M60 flash hiders.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
AFAIK, Colt is the only one who made an A2 upper like that w/o forward assist, but having the Brunton Bump. I would still check it for Colt proof marks. If you could get the whole thing for under $2k and it's all Colt, I'd do it, then sell the upper, perhaps w/o the BCG.
View Quote

Why without the BCG? Open bolt carriers are hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt the rifle the OP found is running an open bolt BCG. AFAIK the open bolt won't even work with regular AR15 FCG. I meant save the BCG if it's a normal Colt, to use in his build - sell off the rest of the upper.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I would concur with the rest of group - if it's authentic and you can grab a good deal - no reason not to snatch it.

However, I would be very cautious about it being a fake - hard to really tell based on the photographs you've posted.

The other side of the upper, particularly proofs - forging/manufacturer's marks, and presence/absence of a forward assist, and whether or not it has a roll pin or is simply pressed in would be good things to check.

Barrel markings will also be a big one.  

IIRC - and the LMG/LSW variants are not my "forte," but I thought I remembered that all LMG/LSW barrels were manufactured by Diemaco, so instead of the typical "C MP" marking, they should have the Devtek "stylized" triangular "D" marking.  

BCG-wise some of the LMG-types were designed to be fired from an open bolt - some from a closed bolt.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be headed back to take another look at it. I did not take a picture, but I thought it was weird it had a bump, but no forward assist. I'll need to double check the price again. The mag was not Colt, I checked.

So I should be checking for proof marks on the upper and barrel. Anything else I should be looking for?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes it looks aftermarket. Factory LMGs didn't have the M60 bipod as far as I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What TGus said ^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll be headed back to take another look at it. I did not take a picture, but I thought it was weird it had a bump, but no forward assist. I'll need to double check the price again. The mag was not Colt, I checked.

So I should be checking for proof marks on the upper and barrel. Anything else I should be looking for?
View Quote

ETA barrel markings photo.
Check the upper, barrel and BCG for the Diemaco stamp as seen below:

The square handguards should have a somewhat shiny look to them.

See if the lower has a hydraulic buffer as seen below:

A LMG bolt carrier will have a large sear notch machined in the bottom...as seen below:

Barrel markings:
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I highly doubt the rifle the OP found is running an open bolt BCG. AFAIK the open bolt won't even work with regular AR15 FCG. I meant save the BCG if it's a normal Colt, to use in his build - sell off the rest of the upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The open bolt carrier will work with a standard AR15 FCG. He could actually sell the open bolt carrier for more than a standard carrier.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The open bolt carrier will work with a standard AR15 FCG. He could actually sell the open bolt carrier for more than a standard carrier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that. Learn something every day. In that case, I would definitely sell the open bolt BCG. I've seen quite a few of these for sale with no BCG though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#21]
How much does that thing weigh?
Moon
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How much does that thing weigh?
Moon
View Quote

It was very heavy...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess I was thinking the open bolt BCG and FCG would have been similar to the M231. Anyone know what the cyclic rate of the LMG was?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I guess I was thinking the open bolt BCG and FCG would have been similar to the M231. Anyone know what the cyclic rate of the LMG was?
View Quote

I was thinkin the same thing anyone willing to compare the two open bolt systems so we can see the how there different
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was thinkin the same thing anyone willing to compare the two open bolt systems so we can see the how there different
View Quote

You can google pictures of the 231 bcg/fcg pretty quickly.

M231 has no auto sear, and the firing pin is in a weighted striker/slider inside the bolt carrier - it's a slam fire, rotating locked bolt, gas operated machinegun.

LMG still has a (modified) auto sear and separate hammer.  Except that the firing cycle starts from an open bolt position, its operation is otherwise a lot like the regular M16...  Bolt carrier goes forward into battery while auto sear holds hammer back.  Bolt carrier trips auto sear, releasing hammer into firing pin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

M231 has no auto sear, and the firing pin is in a weighted striker/slider inside the bolt carrier - it's a slam fire, rotating locked bolt, gas operated machinegun.

LMG still has a (modified) auto sear and separate hammer.  Except that the firing cycle starts from an open bolt position, its operation is otherwise a lot like the regular M16...  Bolt carrier goes forward into battery while auto sear holds hammer back.  Bolt carrier trips auto sear, releasing hammer into firing pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I just assumed they were similar. You see what it got me. I saw no way the M231 BCG would work with a regular FCG. I have never seen pics of a LMG BCG until today. THis is why I keep coming here: always something to learn.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I have never seen pics of a LMG BCG until today. THis is why I keep coming here: always something to learn.

Same here.  Only 2:30 PM and learned something on a Sat.  I'd seen the LMG BCG's but never really paid any attention to detail.  Is another piece of the AR platform puzzle that will probably disengage my coins from my fingers.  Guessing OP is trying to buy right now.  The authentic LMG pieces do command top coins generally.  Have seen some clones but I really appreciate the pics of markings and details as I was actually clueless.  SOCOM barrel was about as LMG related as I usually get aside from 606 clone w/ bipod.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for all the data... Second look with a much better feel for what I was looking at shows me it is a kit. The barrel is correctly stamped and the hand guards are correct, but everything else is A2. I was completely wrong on the upper. Forward assist, C7 Delmonico stamping. It does have M60 legs, buffer is rifle, bolt is standard.

I was looking to buy, but walked away...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the data... Second look with a much better feel for what I was looking at shows me it is a kit. The barrel is correctly stamped and the hand guards are correct, but everything else is A2. I was completely wrong on the upper. Forward assist, C7 Delmonico stamping. It does have M60 legs, buffer is rifle, bolt is standard.

I was looking to buy, but walked away...
View Quote

So it did not have the heavy gas tube? I understand this as yes.

I was considering to buy it but I too may pass. I need it to hold up to some heat.
I may not be happy unless I settle with a shrike
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Looked standard, guy at the store said it was correct and large. He felt it was a Canada demill kit. He believed that from the delta ring forward was correct except the legs. We were looking things up together on the web. I just saw there was no margin in it and the asking price was probably market value. That thing is heavy! Might be worth a call just to be sure.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top