Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 8:59:07 PM EDT
so what do i have?  it's a 601 blade but is it stripped from an assembled bayonet or is this one that was never assembled?

since the 601 used one piece grips, it makes sense it doesn't have the holes in the handle area but what about the crossguard?  how was the crossguard held in place?  m7s have have a little slot where a piece of metal is bent into a U shape to hold the crossguard in place.

i asked willyp and he seems to think it may have been assembled like a m1 carbine bayonet with the leather handles but i've never seen one of those disassembled.

thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Where do you find all of this stuff?!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080523032114/indianajones/images/9/9a/400.jpg

How much did Dr. Jones sell his warehouse for?

P.S. Have you found the crate with Ark of the Covenant yet?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080523032114/indianajones/images/9/9a/400.jpg

it must be behind dean's 601 furniture stash.  will let you know when i get close
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
i asked willyp and he seems to think it may have been assembled like a m1 carbine bayonet with the leather handles but i've never seen one of those disassembled

Ex-Colt emp told me it was a machine / jig / press install for handles just going off memory here.  If I see the guy again,  I'll ask again.  I'd guess that one in pic was complete at one time and not a blank.  Used to see a few like that on e-bay almost frequently before they got over $500 in value.  That one sure has character.  Sure it's not a repro? Nice warehouse.  Is that a pic of Sarco? Jokes!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i asked willyp and he seems to think it may have been assembled like a m1 carbine bayonet with the leather handles but i've never seen one of those disassembled

Ex-Colt emp told me it was a machine / jig / press install for handles just going off memory here.  If I see the guy again,  I'll ask again.  I'd guess that one in pic was complete at one time and not a blank.  Used to see a few like that on e-bay almost frequently before they got over $500 in value.  That one sure has character.  Sure it's not a repro? Nice warehouse.  Is that a pic of Sarco? Jokes!
View Quote

yeah i compared it to my real one and the markings look legit.  plus it doesn't have any of the m7 features so if it was a repro, they started from a really nice blank.  appreciate you asking if you see him again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#7]
anyone else care to venture a guess?

the blade does look used so i'm leaning towards one that was parted out but i have no idea how it was assembled.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#8]
the blade does look used so i'm leaning towards one that was parted out but i have no idea how it was assembled.

Show any evidence of being broken at butt or ground on.  I'm guessing it got loose and parts fell off and were lost.  Pretty sure they were peened after handle and latch was installed or that's what I remember.   Still a cool find especially if coins were right and even if not so right.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Show any evidence of being broken at butt or ground on.  I'm guessing it got loose and parts fell off and were lost.  Pretty sure they were peened after handle and latch was installed or that's what I remember.   Still a cool find especially if coins were right and even if not so right.
View Quote

i'll measure it against my other 601 bayo to see if the OAL is the same.  guess is the pommel wasn't peened on tightly or was dropped, it could have come off.  if the pommel comes off, i assume the grip would slide right off and if the pommel and grip was the only thing securing the guard, then that too would have been lost.  sent some pics to m1sniper and he thinks the end has been peened so it probably was complete at one point.  the condition of the blade points that way too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm. I was gonna ask what a real 601 bayo looks like under the scales, but this may be it. Nice find.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Not sure how the pommel was attached, but on every 601 bayo I've seen, the base was much more "finished" than on later M7s.  The tang was ground flush with the pommel and it was then painted with some sort of black finish that tended to flake off over the decades.
On later M7s, the tang extended a bit past the pommel and were more obviously hammer-peened to secure it.

Don't know if that helps at all here, but if the pommel simply worked loose and fell off, I'd still expect the end of the tang to be pretty flat--not all banged out of shape.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top