Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2014 7:25:33 PM EDT
Some months ago, a buddy at work put together an "XM-177" clone.
Sort of.  Or maybe it was an XM-177-inspired clone.  A lightweight, KISS carbine with an A1 upper and a Bushy aluminum stock...but there were a lot of things that wouldn't pass muster here.
I respected the effort, though, and have gently nudged him towards making it look a little better.  (He just splurged on a Nodak lower!)

Anyway, one flaw was its A2 port cover but he didn't really want to pay current collector's prices for an A1 door.  We were looking at eBay, though, and found one of these.  They're newly manufactured, apparently, by a company called Brown Dog Industries (I am in no way affiliated with the seller), and certainly look better than an A2 pad!
He won an auction for $12-13 shipped, I believe.

I didn't get to see it in person, but he tells me fit and function is perfect and that it feels like good quality.  
From the pics he sent, it doesn't look half bad.  Really, the only negative thing about them is that they look pretty dark.

I contacted the seller to ask if he'd sell them in a bundle, and he was kind enough to put up another listing with multiples available for $11.99 with free shipping.  To sweeten the deal, if you buy 2 or more (right now, at least), you automatically get a 15% discount.  I just bought two ($20.38), even though I don't need them.  I'm going to experiment with some naval jelly or other tricks to see if they'll "gray up" nicely.

Take a look and judge for yourself.  Looking at the pics again, it seems to me the stiffening ridge might not extend down quite as far as on an original (I'm talking about the spot I circled), but it's pretty close.
Regardless, I think it's nice to have the option.  At this price, there's no excuse for using an A2 door on a retro rifle!

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice heads up.  Thanks for sharing.  Not sure if I'll ever need any but they don't appear undesireable in pics and sure look better than the authentic one's I have left.  Probably take some paint without much problem either.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The rounded part that the pin goes through is also a little too defined on the front side but it's still better than an A2

Factory Colt:

Yeah, that's a Daniel Defense carrier in my retro, so what, you wanna fight about it?

EDIT: is your spring backwards or is mine? Or does it matter?
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
is your spring backwards or is mine? Or does it matter?

Don't think it matters on current production but I've always done mine with bigger leg forward and I believe the hole in the early lower recievers for shot leg was to the rear which wouldn't work well with the longer leg.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Worth a shot! I followed your lead, Morg - I mean Old Gunner.  Why would I get you two confused?

Bought 2.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rounded part that the pin goes through is also a little too defined on the front side but it's still better than an A2

Factory Colt:

<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Sputnik1988/media/IMAG0064_zps3045abc9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Sputnik1988/IMAG0064_zps3045abc9.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Sputnik1988/media/IMAG0066_zpse4b9e802.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Sputnik1988/IMAG0066_zpse4b9e802.jpg</a>

Yeah, that's a Daniel Defense carrier in my retro, so what, you wanna fight about it?

EDIT: is your spring backwards or is mine? Or does it matter?
View Quote

That's not  mine--it's my buddy's, but functionally the spring direction wouldn't make a difference.  The very early uppers, however (look at a 601) have a small hole for the spring leg, and that would require the spring to be positioned like yours.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up. I bought two at that price. It should work well on my nephew's low buck 603 want-a-be.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Just caught this thread. I'm putting together a couple of retroish builds and this saves original port doors. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought three of these for builds I don't even have plans to do.  Dammit!  I couldn't help myself.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't want to hijack the thread but does anyone have any more information about Brown Dog Industries?  I was browsing the sellers items and there's some decent prices under the "buy now" stuff that says it's from BDI.  The buffer tube/buttstock set caught my eye.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, just grabbed 2.

Best,
BC
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't want to hijack the thread but does anyone have any more information about Brown Dog Industries?  I was browsing the sellers items and there's some decent prices under the "buy now" stuff that says it's from BDI.  The buffer tube/buttstock set caught my eye.
View Quote

Sorry--this is the first I've heard of them.  But don't hesitate to contact him through the "ask a question" feature on ebay.  He seems like a pretty decent guy.
I'd kind of like to know where he gets all his stuff--I don't know if he's an actual manufacturer or is reselling.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#12]
i remember someone posted about these a few months back, i think they were blued.  it's interesting that someone would repro these given how small the market is compared to modern stuff.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#13]
It could also be serving the airsoft crowd. No reason why someone couldn't make something benign like an ejection port cover work with both. Brings you into two markets and increases your profitability.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow.  Just checked the listing to see how many we bought.  Looks like 38 sold since last night.
...But the price is now shown as $111.99!
I do hope that was a fat-finger of some sort!  Hopefully he'll fix that before someone accidentally hits the BIN without paying attention.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I do hope that was a fat-finger of some sort! Hopefully he'll fix that before someone accidentally hits the BIN without paying attention.

or already has!  Been holding out in RBRD remission and this helps.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow.  Just checked the listing to see how many we bought.  Looks like 38 sold since last night.
...But the price is now shown as $111.99!
I do hope that was a fat-finger of some sort!  Hopefully he'll fix that before someone accidentally hits the BIN without paying attention.
View Quote

This ^^ I just went to get a few and got sticker shock. I sent him a note....
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, he has a mil spec buffer tube assembly for $127.99,  has to be a fat finger issue!

They were both posted with Ebay mobile so maybe that explains it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I got my two last night...at the old price.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Some months ago, a buddy at work put together an "XM-177" clone.
Sort of.  Or maybe it was an XM-177-inspired clone.  A lightweight, KISS carbine with an A1 upper and a Bushy aluminum stock...but there were a lot of things that wouldn't pass muster here.
I respected the effort, though, and have gently nudged him towards making it look a little better.  (He just splurged on a Nodak lower!)

Anyway, one flaw was its A2 port cover but he didn't really want to pay current collector's prices for an A1 door.  We were looking at eBay, though, and found one of these.  They're newly manufactured, apparently, by a company called Brown Dog Industries (I am in no way affiliated with the seller), and certainly look better than an A2 pad!
He won an auction for $12-13 shipped, I believe.

I didn't get to see it in person, but he tells me fit and function is perfect and that it feels like good quality.  
From the pics he sent, it doesn't look half bad.  Really, the only negative thing about them is that they look pretty dark.

I contacted the seller to ask if he'd sell them in a bundle, and he was kind enough to put up another listing with multiples available for $11.99 with free shipping.  To sweeten the deal, if you buy 2 or more (right now, at least), you automatically get a 15% discount.  I just bought two ($20.38), even though I don't need them.  I'm going to experiment with some naval jelly or other tricks to see if they'll "gray up" nicely.

Take a look and judge for yourself.  Looking at the pics again, it seems to me the stiffening ridge might not extend down quite as far as on an original (I'm talking about the spot I circled), but it's pretty close.
Regardless, I think it's nice to have the option.  At this price, there's no excuse for using an A2 door on a retro rifle!

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt247/OlGunner/photo1_zps1baf2e24.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt247/OlGunner/photo2_zpsab0cb190.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt247/OlGunner/photo4_zps56443f43.jpg
View Quote

What am I missing... that ebay link is $119
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, gents, it looks like we killed his supply--for now--so he jacked the price to stop anyone else from placing an order.  He replied to my query:
"I appreciate your post. You sold me out in 24 hrs. I've got an order in for more. I will request a lot in grey park. Thanks so much. I'll drop the price as soon as I'm restocked."

Not sure why he didn't just close the listing, but maybe there's an ebay rule about doing that.  Or maybe he just wanted us to be able to find it again when he reloads.  But at least more will be coming.  Hopefully they'll come in a nice gray.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, gents, it looks like we killed his supply--for now--so he jacked the price to stop anyone else from placing an order.  He replied to my query:
"I appreciate your post. You sold me out in 24 hrs. I've got an order in for more. I will request a lot in grey park. Thanks so much. I'll drop the price as soon as I'm restocked."

Not sure why he didn't just close the listing, but maybe there's an ebay rule about doing that.  Or maybe he just wanted us to be able to find it again when he reloads.  But at least more will be coming.  Hopefully they'll come in a nice gray.
View Quote

copy
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 3:28:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I ordered mine on the 9th, they arrived yesterday, the 12th, packed in a nice bubble wrap shipping envelop.  I'm at work so I can't post pics, but they look great.  The finish looks a whole lot like a dark Manganese parkerizing.  A very close match to an old DPMS LPK I have in my parts box.  Well worth the money, even if not used for retro.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Got mine today. Look slightly lighter in color than an A2, very ark gray, as opposed to A2 greenish black. The reinforcing rib is bit thicker than A2, noticeably thicker than an early A1, and does not extend quite as far down on the outside ends as either genuine USGI.

Not bad for a budget build or retro-ish. Won't be mistaken by an expert as real retro tho.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got mine today. Look slightly lighter in color than an A2, very ark gray, as opposed to A2 greenish black. The reinforcing rib is bit thicker than A2, noticeably thicker than an early A1, and does not extend quite as far down on the outside ends as either genuine USGI.

Not bad for a budget build or retro-ish. Won't be mistaken by an expert as real retro tho.
View Quote

Got mine also, they will work good for what I'm doing
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Got mine today also. It will work great on my retro budget build. Also good for a place saver while searching for a USGI door. Worth the money to me. Thanks again for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I got mine today also. They look good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I got mine yesterday.
They looked great as we'll.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Me too.

Will order a few more.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Me too.

Will order a few more.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing if he gets them in a lighter color...
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me too.

Will order a few more.

I will too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Dang.  Considering how many he was suddenly able to sell, you'd think he coulda sent me mine for free, ya know??  

Think I'll hit one of mine with toilet bowl cleaner in a bit and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dang.  Considering how many he was suddenly able to sell, you'd think he coulda sent me mine for free, ya know??  

Think I'll hit one of mine with toilet bowl cleaner in a bit and see what happens.
View Quote

Don't forget and flush!
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#33]
i used one today i got a while back and had to massage both corners to get it to fit,.
you might  trial run one before final assembly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I installed one on my nephews budget retro build today with no issues.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top