Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2013 3:11:03 PM EDT
Ordered Thursday at 6:30 EST and it arrived this afternoon around 1:00.

Not too shabby from Cali to Florida.

M16A1 Light Weight Barrel

Here it is in it's Baby Blue Condom (Sealed for it's protection)
</a>" />

And raw dogging it with no protection!
</a>" />

Light markings. (Don't know how this will stand up to the green scrubby pads and Brillo I will use to age it to match the upper.)
</a>" />

The business end.
</a>" />

Try as I might the M4 cuts don't hurt my feeling on bit. (Chrome would have been nice though)
</a>" />

Chamber.
</a>" />

Very fine smooth granular finish on the park job. Good workmanship all over.

The only downside is no chrome but it was reasonably priced and available.

Have a virgin FSB and pins on the way from Midway.

As mentioned this will get "weathered" and "aged" to match the upper from the Grade 2 SARCO kit.

I probably won't age it as "good" as I did the M16E1 that I had to sell but I do want it to be salty!

</a>" />
(Barrel on this was a C MP CHROME BORE and I didn't "age" it at all. I couldn't bring myself to touch it!)

Worth the money IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Those pics look different than the Citadel barrels I used to get from Alpha.  Are they made by Citadel?  I was happy with those, and saved a few to turn down for my prototype projects.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:53:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those pics look different than the Citadel barrels I used to get from Alpha.  Are they made by Citadel?  I was happy with those, and saved a few to turn down for my prototype projects.
View Quote

Considering the Item # is  cit20lwt556cm I would say it is a Citadel.

How are they different? Finish? Parkerizing?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

earlier citadel barrels were stamped with a C, do you see one on yours?  maybe their changed how they mark them, i don't recall them having them the twist rate on the earlier ones.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you notice the extension is made in a non-traditional way?  The clearance cuts for the bolt to pass through are round instead of square.

Brick
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Got my barrel yesterday, too. It looks good but the Green Mountain barrels looked a little nicer (and were chromed). Of course they aren't available. This will work just fine tho. I may cut it down for a 605. i should be great for that. I'm well pleased with this and recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't see any other markings Lionel. Where did they used to mark them? I will look closer (and with the magnifier since my old ass eyes don't work like they used to.)
The descriptions says limited run so maybe they have a deal with Citadel to run them a few hundred once a year and they mark them differently for them.

Good call Brick. The chamber face is not as deeply imprinted on my brain as you guys (always been a Garand man hence the handle) so I didn't even notice.
I just won't let any hard core ARFies look at the chamber!

CNC I will probably order a Green Mountain if and when they are available and then cut this one for a 605 too. Keeping eyes peeled for a Colt barrel.
I am with you that it is a decent barrel for the price. It should please most except the Go Colt or Go Home guys.

Virgin FSB will be here next Monday. I need to check the shop and find my bits and reamer.

Peace

Brian
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didn't see any other markings Lionel. Where did they used to mark them? I will look closer (and with the magnifier since my old ass eyes don't work like they used to.)
The descriptions says limited run so maybe they have a deal with Citadel to run them a few hundred once a year and they mark them differently for them.
View Quote

i deleted my pic from my photobucket account but i think it was just a lone C stamped btw the FSB legs
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

i deleted my pic from my photobucket account but i think it was just a lone C stamped btw the FSB legs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can get a pic up tonight if ya want ,but the one I have has the "C" stamped at 12 o'clock just in front of the FSB, not between the legs. Another member here bought the other one, of two, that was put on the EE early one sunday morning about 5 or 6 months ago. I wonder if his was stamped in the same location as mine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative. I don't see any markings other than what is pictured above.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I am running same barrel but from earlier production.  Good barrel with no problems,
I have a couple of other barrels from Alpha Shooting Sports that are good.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am running same barrel but from earlier production.  Good barrel with no problems,
I have a couple of other barrels from Alpha Shooting Sports that are good.
View Quote

It works for my purposes so I am happy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I got mine last night.  It looks pretty good.  need to get started this weekend on the build
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I shouldn't have waited so long.

Now out of stock
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Now out of stock
View Quote

I'm sorry for your luck Sandusky but I'm glad I didn't wait!

Keep your eyes peeled on EE and GunBroker.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Now out of stock
View Quote

Damn.  I was hung up himming and hawing over the 1:9 twist.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#16]
http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19

I don't know anything about these, but it is another possible option.^^^ I just ordered some small retro parts from there, on Sunday and received the package today.

Fulton Armory doesn't have their 20" listed anymore.

Green Mountain still shows a listing (hopefully a good sign), but are out of stock.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19

I don't know anything about these, but it is another possible option.^^^ I just ordered some small retro parts from there, on Sunday and received the package today.

Green Mountain still shows a listing (hopefully a good sign), but are out of stock.
View Quote

Shows back ordered Echo.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Shows back ordered Echo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shows back ordered Echo.

Duh. Yeah, meant to mention that, it was getting late, I was tired. ETA seems to be sooner than the other places, though. Think I'm going to hold out for the chrome lined. I have seen an advertisement in Shotgun News for J&T/Doublestar  20" lightweight barreled uppers, but have never seen anything on their website, which is a pain to navigate through. When I get some time I will try to find the ad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:42:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Went to mount the FSB this morning and found the barrel was a little big under the FSB. I had to sand down the park almost thru to get the FSB to go on. The fixture I built to hold the barrel in position requires the barrel to screw into the end plate to hold it. The threads were too big. The flash supressor won't screw on and neither will a 1/2-28 nut. I didn't have a die to run down the threads and didn't have a brass center to mount the barrel in the lathe and chase the threads so the trip to the shop was a waste. I can make this barrel work but will most likely cut it and rethread it for a 605 since I have to chase the threads anyway. I've never had trouble with Green Mountain barrels and I'll just wait for them to make another batch to finish this build. I've changed my mind and don't recommend these barrels unless you are able to rework them, and for the price you shouldn't have to.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:33:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Went to mount the FSB this morning and found the barrel was a little big under the FSB. I had to sand down the park almost thru to get the FSB to go on. The fixture I built to hold the barrel in position requires the barrel to screw into the end plate to hold it. The threads were too big. The flash supressor won't screw on and neither will a 1/2-28 nut. I didn't have a die to run down the threads and didn't have a brass center to mount the barrel in the lathe and chase the threads so the trip to the shop was a waste. I can make this barrel work but will most likely cut it and rethread it for a 605 since I have to chase the threads anyway. I've never had trouble with Green Mountain barrels and I'll just wait for them to make another batch to finish this build. I've changed my mind and don't recommend these barrels unless you are able to rework them, and for the price you shouldn't have to.
View Quote

Hmm, My FSB and FH fit fine on the one I just got.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope for everyone elses sake I got the one bad one in the bunch. The FSB I used is an M16 take off and I ran a .625 reamer thru it to make sure it was not burred. In addition to the take off flash hider I tried two new flash hiders and they won't go either (I already tried a nut and a tapped hole that worked on the Green Mountain barrels). As I said, I can make this work, but I had hoped to finish the build this eveving and shoot it tommorrow.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine fit like a charm! I tried 3 different GI FSB's and they all fit fine. The A1 FH screws on and off with NO problems!

Have you contacted their customer service?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mine fit like a charm! I tried 3 different GI FSB's and they all fit fine. The A1 FH screws on and off with NO problems!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the way my luck goes. You could have a barrel of apples with only one with a worm and that is the one I'd get. They are out of barrels so I couldn't exchange it for another, and I need a barrel to finish this or a 605 build so I'll just keep it and fix or modify it. Everything else looks good, altho I'd better check that it will headspace properly before I go any further. The FSB diameter was probably .001" or so big and the threads .003" to .005" big. The major diameter measures .495" and looking at the threads they seem to have more flat across the thread tip than I think they should. I didn't get a chance to measure the pitch diameter to be sure. I hate trying to pick up threads to redo but I've done it before and can do it again. I'm really leaning toward cutting it down for a 605 tho. Now to decide whether to cut to 16" or 14.7" and pin and weld. Does anybody remember what diameter the gas port hole diameter is on a 605?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is the way my luck goes. You could have a barrel of apples with only one with a worm and that is the one I'd get. They are out of barrels so I couldn't exchange it for another, and I need a barrel to finish this or a 605 build so I'll just keep it and fix or modify it. Everything else looks good, altho I'd better check that it will headspace properly before I go any further. The FSB diameter was probably .001" or so big and the threads .003" to .005" big. The major diameter measures .495" and looking at the threads they seem to have more flat across the thread tip than I think they should. I didn't get a chance to measure the pitch diameter to be sure. I hate trying to pick up threads to redo but I've done it before and can do it again. I'm really leaning toward cutting it down for a 605 tho. Now to decide whether to cut to 16" or 14.7" and pin and weld. Does anybody remember what diameter the gas port hole diameter is on a 605?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

heatnbeat recommends .110"
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

heatnbeat recommends .110"
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I haven't gotten around to do my barrel work, but the FSB slides on and the A1 flash hider screws on ok.

I was delayed because I accidentally bought a retro shotgun (again!) A Remington 31.  Needed a stock refinish and Barrel cut down.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Update!

Got the FSB mounted today!

Pics after a little more "seasoning".
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Update!

View Quote

Congrats, hope it shoots good for you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Update!

View Quote

that's a light sprinkle.  we need induced rust, bleach, hammers, bolts, left outside to consider it seasoned
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#30]
You remember the last one!

I smoothed the virgin FSB and weathered the snot out of it and then wound up using the FSB that came with the kit because it's a Colt and it has a rusty sling swivel already!

Here's the virgin FSB I worked on.

It still needs a little more sun.

I'll save it for the next build!
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn, that looks salty. Going with the SARCO kit?
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You remember the last one!

I smoothed the virgin FSB and weathered the snot out of it and then wound up using the FSB that came with the kit because it's a Colt and it has a rusty sling swivel already!

Here's the virgin FSB I worked on.

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/user/Cal30M1/media/Kit/P1010655.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/Cal30M1/Kit/P1010655.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/user/Cal30M1/media/Kit/P1010650.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/Cal30M1/Kit/P1010650.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/user/Cal30M1/media/Kit/P1010658.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/Cal30M1/Kit/P1010658.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/user/Cal30M1/media/Kit/P1010653.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/Cal30M1/Kit/P1010653.jpg</a>

It still needs a little more sun.

I'll save it for the next build!
View Quote

hehe.  guess that didn't pass the marine saltwater test.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I ordered from them last week,it's supposed to be here the 17th.
But I don't know if Fedex delivers here on Sat.
So,probably next Mon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 2:39:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top