Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2012 8:27:47 PM EDT
So SousEstime asked about painting 601 furniture and here is my attempt.  I realized I hadn't posted pics of this build from this summer so here it is.  The range report is that within 10 shots or so at 50 yards we wer dialed in a little high so when we tried at 100 it was right around the target area.  My wifes first experience with a retro AR and she kept the grouping pie plate size at 100 yards - so this rifle met all my expectations.  No failures of any kind.

Paint and methodolgy:
1. Scrub furniture clean and rinse well.  Just used kitchen detergent
2. lightly sand smooth surfaces
3. Spray 2 light coats of base brown coat - darker brown, I think it was the Testors Enamel 1240 gloss brown
4. using a bunched rag, then bunched paper tried to duplicate the lighter fragments imbedded in the darker brown - sprayed onto foil then tapped the rag/paper in the paint then tapped the furnitue to create pattern.  Testors FS30219 Dark Tan #1942
5. Spray 2 coats of green top coat, making sure to follow instructions.  I got some light bubbling of the paint but was able to let it set and then lightly recoat.  It eventually covered.  Some spots got more than 2 coats.
6. Spray 3-4 coats of clear semi-gloss acrylic to protect the paint.
7. Let dry for a LONG time.  really resisted the urge to touch it for about a week.

These pictures are indoors at night but showed up OK.  If anyone is interested in daytime pictures let me know.  I would also be happy to shoot pictures next to a real 601 stock if someone wants to send it to me .

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I really appreciate you going to the trouble to post this. Thanks, brother.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice man, real nice, rifle has a little weathered look to it.
My favorite part is the mag
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice job, thanks for sharing!
What's the break down on your parts?
And this group will always take more pics of builds!
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice job, thanks for sharing!
What's the break down on your parts?
And this group will always take more pics of builds!

Riggs,
You will be dissapointed I am sure but here is some build info - keep in mind "clone" (from a distance!  )

I went with the NDS upper (604) for now
NDS lower
Colt chrome FA BC with Parkerized bolt - has full round gas key - and I am getting a chrome FP retaining pin in the mail soon!
Modified Light Flat head firing pin
Painted type D and triangular HG's
JT repro early 3 prong with grenade ring
CMP C barrel
NDS triangle charging handle
DPMS LPK - naval jelly
Take down and pivot pins dimpled one side
Late bend gas tube

So I know this is far from all original parts, but really fun to build and shoot.  It is still pretty expensive to pull together even reproduction parts, much less original!
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the breakdown and no worries on it not being "original" man, it's an awesome build and your happy with it.
And that is more important than anything else!
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#6]

So I know this is far from all original parts, but really fun to build and shoot.  It is still pretty expensive to pull together even reproduction parts, much less original![/quote]
Looks good to me, yours is as "original" as mine and most in this group I bet.
Real 601 parts and too hard to come by and way too expensive when you do.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Retro is not all about orginal parts - time and effort play a large part in any retro build...and this 601 shows much time, effort and love.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the comments - I really did have fun painting the furniture - although keeping the paint from bubbling requires some dedication to prep and watching recoat times.  I am replacing things over time, hoping to track down dimpled selector, replace the reproduction square port door,  and I should probably spring for a JT horizontal mag button instead of the "many circles" on there now.  I should probably just open the wallet now that HeatNbeat is back in business  I just want to finish my IDF build first and maybe even a 606?  too many models, not enough time...  (or money)
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks VERY nice!

But be careful.
My 601 build started out almost all reproduction parts and then I started acquiring more and more originals.
Now only the lower, mag button, and rear sight wheel are reproductions.
Luckily most of the reproduction parts could be used in other projects or sold off.
With 601 prices these days I'd suggest leaving it as-is and building more retro rifles.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice, that looks better than my original furniture!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top