User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/25/2012 8:59:38 AM EDT
Hello Guys,
my name is Paolo. I live in Italy and I am a guns collector.
I want to show you a rifle  extremely rare, a rifle museum !
I own an original Colt Armalite model 01 (601) made in December 1959, S/N 115 and as you well know the production run started with S/N 101 so,
is the rifle number 15, probably the first day of production.
In the month of December were produced the first 300 rifles, and Colt has decided to paint the furniture green after about the first 100 products, these are the original brown !
This rifle comes from the Malaysian army, where he was taken for evaluation test. In the book, THE M16 Jean Huon said that Malaysia had 25 of these Rifles,
of those rifles survivors the Italian importer has recovered 7, but only a few were with charging handle, stock, grip and handguard original, the others had those of 'M16A1.
This rifle was the best preserved and the S / N, the lowest
The guns arrived in Italy with the standard 30 rounds magazine and see the rifle without his waffle magazine  was very bad!
Fortunately I was able to find one original in the U.S., so now the gun is perfect !
Unfortunately the Italian law does not allow full auto guns, so  it has been modified to fire only in semiautomatic mode.
The modifications concern :
bolt carrier is milled equal to the semiauto model
auto sear removed and enlarged the hole of the sear pin, filled with a steel block welted
Hammer milled like the semiauto
selector filled welted in position full auto
new drill hole to insert a roll pin to stop the selector in semiauto
In addition, different marks the Italian importer that has made the modifications (NuovaJager) and a new S / N , and obligatory for all guns,  the proof marks.
Many will ask how much this rifle, well ... 5000 €  including taxes (21%) … without waffle magazine
I know that the rifle is partly  ruined forever , but this is the law,  would not have been more possible to re-import in the United States and in many European countries  would have been deactived ... would never even sung in semiauto !
I hope you understand what I wrote and forgive me for not'll understand all the answers
now I leave the pictures speak.

in the company of a Vespa 150 of the year 1959 (painstakingly restored)

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Oplita, our new friend––welcome!
As much as we all wish the rifle were still 100% original, no one here will fault you for saving it as a semi-auto.  Compared to what our US government has done to so many classic arms, we have no room to object!

Now, pardon me for a bit, while I stare at and study your photographs!

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Holy shit! Wow man, that is a truly amazing piece of history. Even modded to semi auto, that is still an ultra rare gem, and the look is perfect!

I'll be in my bunk.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Definitely a museum quality piece, even with the modifications.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice vintage rifle you have there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I would take that rifle in semi auto, I would take it as a non working wall hanger.
Great pics
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
It's nice to own a piece of history, thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Amazing purchase.  You're a very lucky man.  Very nice job on the vintage Vespa also.  Probably quite a few more of those over there than 601's.  I'm gonna assume WWII collector items can also be had pretty easily.  Do ya'll do much metal detecting over there?  Should be some pretty decent stuff still in the ground.  Thanks for posting.  We also like most any vintage militaria.  Welcome to retroland.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Mille grazie, signore!

Thank you for doing your part to preserve this historic firearm. We all have national laws to deal with.

As Paolo pointed out, this could not be reimported into the USA under the Hughes Amendment. Even if it were stripped to parts, the barrel would have to be destroyed under current ATF rulings, which aren't even legislatively supported, just what they feel they can get away with.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
She's gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing. A quick study of the photo's and she appears to be all correct parts. What a wonderful piece of history you own. Cheers...
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Paolo, you are one of the retro-elite. No apology is needed for the condition or appearance of your superb early Armalite rifle. Thanks for saving it and sharing it with us.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Do want.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#12]
You receive a Kiss on both Cheeks!

Fantastico!
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow ... 5K Euros which is equivalent to $6,500 US Dollars is a good deal for a piece of history.  Thank you for sharing the joy with us.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks very much for sharing and welcome.
That is an incredible rifle you have.
Please feel free to share more photos.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Crazy how much the "freest country in the world" woulda destroyed that beautiful piece of history. As mentioned, the modifications it's had to have so you could have it are minimal in comparison.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#16]
oplita,Welcome!!!  That IS the most beautiful rifle I've ever seen posted here in retroland,,,and that's saying something as there have been some real beauties posted. THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH US!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Crazy how much the "freest country in the world" woulda destroyed that beautiful piece of history.

Amen!  Basically the only free country left in the world.  Is amazing that in those countries that aren't realistically free they seem to always show pics of civillians with full autos walking the streets.  Think I'd rather be free and not need a full auto to walk the streets.  Again thanks OP for posting pics.  Hope to see some more of the collection over time.  I'm sure you have some real cool pieces.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Very very cool, thank you for sharing.  More pictures please.    I think the ones without flash look the best.  If you take it outside, sunlight will make it easier for your camera to get a good picture.  (Some in direct sunlight and some in shade)  I like this one best:

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/7168/31250552.jpg

One detail I am curious about is if the front lug on the upper receiver is beveled or not.  See this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/521261_.html  This one has a good picture of a non-beveled front lug:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/547942_.html  It looks like your 601 has the skinny / thin mag release post but I can't find the thread about it right now.  (The threaded part that goes through the receiver, the button screws onto it)  One other thing I am curious about is what does the buffer tube (hidden inside the stock) on a rifle that old look like?  

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#19]
It would be neat to have the rifle scanned by a CMM so a complete cad file of it could be made.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Find it funny no one pointed out the "rotating" sling swivel yet....
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It was too obvious M1!

Did anyone notice it has the early squared off extractor lug consistant with other early bolts we've examined? The patina/wear on it is absolutely amazing

ETA: What are the barrel markings?
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Find it funny no one pointed out the "rotating" sling swivel yet

Was the first thing I noticed.  Excellent pic with it turned also.

Did anyone notice it has the early squared off extractor lug consistant with other early bolts we've examined?

Great heads up.  Something I've never noticed.  Looking at a couple P's and MP's along with a couple extractor purchases I don't believe I have any of those.  Not jacking but anybody got a pic up close of a couple different examples,  possibly repost on another thread or even archive the thread I evidently missed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I didn't point it out, but I did notice it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok,Ok,,I was bustin chops..But hey snipertewg,,good catch..I overlooked that as I just keep staring at the full rifle pics.....DROOLING...
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome, welcome and thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice!!!

Everything from 1959 is special.  Ask a guitar player.

(page 2)
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice!!!

Everything from 1959 is special.  Ask a guitar player.(page 2)

Wow...Dude that is so true.... Flames and tiger stripes.  Good quote.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Wonderful piece of History!  You are incredibly fortunate.  Thank you for sharing!
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Find it funny no one pointed out the "rotating" sling swivel yet

Was the first thing I noticed.  Excellent pic with it turned also.

Did anyone notice it has the early squared off extractor lug consistant with other early bolts we've examined?

Great heads up.  Something I've never noticed.  Looking at a couple P's and MP's along with a couple extractor purchases I don't believe I have any of those.  Not jacking but anybody got a pic up close of a couple different examples,  possibly repost on another thread or even archive the thread I evidently missed.

Cdenmark: Here's the archived link to the conversation on the chrome bolt evolution.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/521199_Chrome_Bolt_Assemblies.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#30]
oplita,

Welcome to the Forum.

That rifle is an extraordinary piece of history and I think you did very well on the pricing. I would love to own a piece like that.

Great work on the Vespa.....I got the motorcycle bug years ago after my first ride on one.

Hal
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow. Great pics - glad this piece of history made it. Why the hell can't the CMP modify M16's like this and sell them back to us? It's such a tragic waste. I'd like to see Cap'n Crunch out of business.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mille grazie, signore!

Thank you for doing your part to preserve this historic firearm. We all have national laws to deal with.

As Paolo pointed out, this could not be reimported into the USA under the Hughes Amendment. Even if it were stripped to parts, the barrel would have to be destroyed under current ATF rulings, which aren't even legislatively supported, just what they feel they can get away with.

Hognose, as much as I hate that bastard Hughes, he had nothing to do with M16's and other US weapons being Non-Importable.  That was GCA 1968.  Just finished reading the book "Deadly Business" about Sam Cummings and Interarms.  God what a time pre '68 was in the arms business.

Beautiful rifle OP.  I'd love to have laws changed so that I could own something that my parents paid for originally.

ka

ps, Sam Cummings was a sales rep for Armalite back in the day.  We have him to thank for AR 10 sales to Guatemala, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic.  Now if I could just find an original AR10 (with a new receiver)

ka
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That was one of the first things I noticed too.

Here's some pics of my unmarked chrome bolt with the "square back" extractor lug:

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wow. Great pics - glad this piece of history made it. Why the hell can't the CMP modify M16's like this and sell them back to us? It's such a tragic waste. I'd like to see Cap'n Crunch out of business.

I can't look at pictures of the crunched parts. I just can't do it. It goes against my morals and values to so foolishly discard things.

ETA Welcome to the forum oplita. Thanks for the wonderful pics.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Noticed the rotating swivel, but not the square extractor. Did not recall or was not aware of that early feature. Good catch. Since this is a really early 601, wonder what else we may find if we look? OP states this is 115 w/ numbers starting at 100. So this is #15 of the first real production run of AR15s marketed and sold. Is that how we should understand it? I would kinda like to see the FSB in detail, and the numbers/markings on barrel and if possible under the HGs. But that may be asking a lot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Noticed the rotating swivel, but not the square extractor. Did not recall or was not aware of that early feature. Good catch. Since this is a really early 601, wonder what else we may find if we look? OP states this is 115 w/ numbers starting at 100. So this is #15 of the first real production run of AR15s marketed and sold. Is that how we should understand it? I would kinda like to see the FSB in detail, and the numbers/markings on barrel and if possible under the HGs. But that may be asking a lot.

Yes, as OP stated in his post, the Model 01 started production at serial #100. With OP's being #115, it is actually #15 and therefore was possibly assembled on the first day/week of the production run at Colt's. With that said, I recently learned that some of the first lower receivers were pulled from the production line and given to the Colt executives to be assembled at a later time. There is belief they could have a mix of later parts. I doubt this is one of them and from what I can see in the pics, other then the demil modifications, it appears to be ALL original parts. I would assume since it was not in the US DOD inventory, it was not subject to the armourer inspections and parts updates that the others would have encountered.

I too would like to know the barrel markings. It should/could be a "W" stamped Winchester. The cast FSB would be no different then any of the other cast FSB's. It should also have the carbon steel gas tube (does a magnet stick to it OP?). Does the bolt have a "P" marking or no marking at all? Beside the type "A" stock, all the other parts should be consistent with what we know about the Model 01's and early 02's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Thank you all !  
I am very happy that you like this rifle despite the modifications, and that you worth the money I spent.
In Italy these changes for some collectors do not appreciate, however, the seven rifles imported were sold out even those with non-original parts.
A good question concerns the marks on the barrel ..... NO there is the W brand that should have (none of the seven rifle had) .... I think the reason is very simple, this rifle was delivered for evaluation tests in the regular army, which has fired thousands and thousands of rounds and has been in service for fifty years, so I think it was replaced, it is not a rifle been stationary in a police department,
I am happy to share with you the history of this gun, so I just can'll more photos of all the important details, starting with the bolt head.
I apologize if my answers will be slow but my English is very bad, so use a lot of time in order to give a simple answer (which you can understand, even I have to also understand what you ask me ) a little at a time respond to everyone, wasted understand what
Yes, I own other retro rifle that can affect :
TWO  Colt SP1
Colt  M16A1 (model 613) an export version of the model 603 with the same changes to the 601 and even that of the Malaysian Army
Armalite AR 180 Costa Mesa
H&R M14 modified to shoot only in semiauto
......and other beautiful arms, but that's another story
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

this answer makes me happy, also because Tex Squirrel is known and esteemed in Italy, as "boss" of the website Retro Black Rifle and weapons expert
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this answer makes me happy, also because Tex Squirrel is known and esteemed in Italy, as "boss" of the website Retro Black Rifle and weapons expert

DOn't tell him that, his head will swell...
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hello Guys,
my name is Paolo. I live in Italy and I am a guns collector.
I want to show you a rifle  extremely rare, a rifle museum !
I own an original Colt Armalite model 01 (601) made in December 1959, S/N 115 and as you well know the production run started with S/N 101 so,
is the rifle number 15, probably the first day of production.
In the month of December were produced the first 300 rifles, and Colt has decided to paint the furniture green after about the first 100 products, these are the original brown !
This rifle comes from the Malaysian army, where he was taken for evaluation test. In the book, THE M16 Jean Huon said that Malaysia had 25 of these Rifles,
of those rifles survivors the Italian importer has recovered 7, but only a few were with charging handle, stock, grip and handguard original, the others had those of 'M16A1.
This rifle was the best preserved and the S / N, the lowest
The guns arrived in Italy with the standard 30 rounds magazine and see the rifle without his waffle magazine  was very bad!
Fortunately I was able to find one original in the U.S., so now the gun is perfect !
Unfortunately the Italian law does not allow full auto guns, so  it has been modified to fire only in semiautomatic mode.
The modifications concern :
bolt carrier is milled equal to the semiauto model
auto sear removed and enlarged the hole of the sear pin, filled with a steel block welted
Hammer milled like the semiauto
selector filled welted in position full auto
new drill hole to insert a roll pin to stop the selector in semiauto
In addition, different marks the Italian importer that has made the modifications (NuovaJager) and a new S / N , and obligatory for all guns,  the proof marks.
Many will ask how much this rifle, well ... 5000 €  including taxes (21%) … without waffle magazine
I know that the rifle is partly  ruined forever , but this is the law,  would not have been more possible to re-import in the United States and in many European countries  would have been deactived ... would never even sung in semiauto !
I hope you understand what I wrote and forgive me for not'll understand all the answers
now I leave the pictures speak.

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/8397/33861880.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img17/7981/ii2jc.jpg

Don't let the DD/larue/dpms etc guys see this... The will be like "see I told you colt has terrible finishes on their rifles and look right there, they didn't stake the key properly OoOoOoOoOo

Btw that was sarcasm towards all the Anti Colt people on this forum!
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#41]
That is one beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Does it have an Edgewater buffer?

Very nice rifle.  Even with the modifications it retains the original look.

Question:

Instead of modifying the fire control parts why didn't you just replace them with modern semi auto parts and save the old parts?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
...Yes, as OP stated in his post, the Model 01 started production at serial #100. With OP's being #115, it is actually #15 and therefore was possibly assembled on the first day/week of the production run at Colt's.

If the first production rifle was 100 (as I understand), 000015 would be the 16th rifle. (I have 000748––the 649th rifle.)

Quoted:
... I recently learned that some of the first lower receivers were pulled from the production line and given to the Colt executives to be assembled at a later time. There is belief they could have a mix of later parts. I doubt this is one of them and from what I can see in the pics, other then the demil modifications, it appears to be ALL original parts...

I understood this referred only to the SP1 production (the 1963 rifles).  Do we have evidence that they did this for Model 01's, too?

Quoted:
...I too would like to know the barrel markings. It should/could be a "W" stamped Winchester...

Some of the early barrels made by Winchester show no markings.  If the owner sees no obvious marks at all, there's a good chance the barrel is original (any replacement barrel should have obvious markings of one kind or another).   Best approach is to carefully measure the twist rate.
I, for one, would like to know!

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
...I apologize if my answers will be slow but my English is very bad...

Oplita, I assure you––your English is much better than most of our Italian!!  

Quoted:
Yes, I own other retro rifle that can affect :
TWO  Colt SP1
Colt  M16A1 (model 613) an export version of the model 603 with the same changes to the 601 and even that of the Malaysian Army
Armalite AR 180 Costa Mesa
......and other beautiful arms, but that's another story

Buddy, you are gonna fit in here just fine!!
I look forward to many more photos!
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#45]

Sonofabitch.  Damned BATF.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If the first production rifle was 100 (as I understand), 000015 would be the 16th rifle. (I have 000748––the 649th rifle.)

Per the #100+  production rifles, versus earlier numbers; The lowest serial number AR-15s were non-production, our beloved prototypes. Some other thread listed the range of those S/Ns, like maybe thirty something. Someone will know. So Colt decides to start fresh from 100. Probably as simple as that. From TBR:

"Colt's completed its first-ever run of  300 "model 01" AR-15 rifles, serial nos. 000101 to 000400, in December of 1959. Already Bobby McDonald was doing his part: in his later Ichord testimony he reported that "...the first [Colt AR-15] rifles that were ever sold were sold to Malaya, 25 rifles, and they were shipped under State Department export licence .... The second [23 rifles] went to India under export license..."

Great piece of history that. Furniture was brown, not painted apparently too. But not 100% sure about that.

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per the #100+  production rifles, versus earlier numbers; The lowest serial number AR-15s were non-production, our beloved prototypes. Some other thread listed the range of those S/Ns, like maybe thirty something. Someone will know. So Colt decides to start fresh from 100. Probably as simple as that. From TBR:

"Colt's completed its first-ever run of  300 "model 01" AR-15 rifles, serial nos. 000101 to 000400, in December of 1959. Already Bobby McDonald was doing his part: in his later Ichord testimony he reported that "...the first [Colt AR-15] rifles that were ever sold were sold to Malaya, 25 rifles, and they were shipped under State Department export licence .... The second [23 rifles] went to India under export license..."

Great piece of history that. Furniture was brown, not painted apparently too. But not 100% sure about that.

I read that in TBR, too, but believe there was discussion here a while back with fairly authoritative(?) info that the first prod was 000100, not 000101.  Not that it makes a huge amount of difference, but I wonder if Colt ever provided a definitive answer.

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Simply stunning !!!   Thanks for posting and welcome aboard.

Did the brown stocks with the rotating swivels have the Pegasus logo on the butt plate or did only the prototypes have it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Simply stunning !!!   Thanks for posting and welcome aboard.

Did the brown stocks with the rotating swivels have the Pegasus logo on the butt plate or did only the prototypes have it?

I think only the prototypes had the logo, but some of the prototypes had metal
Buttplates with two screws and a trap door, I got a pic of it somewhere ,,,,,,
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that in TBR, too, but believe there was discussion here a while back with fairly authoritative(?) info that the first prod was 000100, not 000101.  Not that it makes a huge amount of difference, but I wonder if Colt ever provided a definitive answer.

Yeah, 100 or 101 doesn't really matter to me either. But the idea that there are some "missing" numbers out there, between thirty-something and 100, that's the kind of thing that drives us retro folks batty.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top