Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2012 2:07:23 PM EDT
So with some help from retroland, I am building a 651 (with fixed stock - since Morg likes them so well!)

Here is the "new" barrel - in package:

paper wrap:

minty fresh:

and with a few other parts getting ready...

Now to be patient as I sent if off to ADCO to pin and extended FH (not going to SBR this one).
Retro fun - underway!
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Another retro soon to be born..!!

Congrats!

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey - found a minty stock for you. SHould match the rest of the new parts - IM sent.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice Mike!

Now do tell, where the hell did you find a NIW barrel?

Oh, and IM inbound.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, where did the barrel come from
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Possibly from the same place his stock is gonna come from.  Looks like a very nice build well on the way.  Barrel is gonna only be new until that first shot is fired.  Kinda bites that you're gonna pin and weld it but they aren't that rare just expensive.  Think I'd have used a J&T.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
A,member on this site had a lot of the NIW barrels and selling them a few years ago. This barrel is from that lot.  They date from late 96.  Yes, I have one too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Another one in the embryo stages, love it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, the J&T barrels look nice, but I wanted this one to be as close to original as possible.  I was thinking of trying one of thiers for a IDF build - but that will have to wait as all my fun money is going to this one!

Edit - and you may be onto something relative to the source for the barrel - Just happy to have it!  

Quoted:

Possibly from the same place his stock is gonna come from.  Looks like a very nice build well on the way.  Barrel is gonna only be new until that first shot is fired.  Kinda bites that you're gonna pin and weld it but they aren't that rare just expensive.  Think I'd have used a J&T.

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, the J&T barrels look nice, but I wanted this one to be as close to original as possible.  I was thinking of trying one of thiers for a IDF build - but that will have to wait as all my fun money is going to this one!

Edit - and you may be onto something relative to the source for the barrel - Just happy to have it!  

Quoted:

This barrel would probably be more correct for an IDF build, since it is dated 96 (I am assuming urs is from the same batch as mine).  At least that is what I am using mine for, AND  I just scored some 6 hole CAR handguards, that when I took the heatshields off to check for mold ID numbers, I was pleasantly surprised to see "MADE IN ISRAEL" ON THE INSIDE, not the outside, $12 well worth. WOOT!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Woot!!
Another one about to be born!
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 3:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]

That's a bubbaguns barrel :

USGI Model 653 barrel, 14.5 inches long, chrome lined, manufactured in 1996.
.625 Dia.

Barrels are marked "C MP CHROME BORE". There is an "0" stamped just if front of the barrel extension. There is no rifling twist stamped on the barrel. There is no "F" stamped on the front site base and has A2 front site posts. The barrels are 1/12. These are new in the wrap. Price is *** shipped.

This barrel has a carbine gas system with round handguard cap, and is 14.5 inches long, chrome lined, manufactured in 1996. It is marked "C MP CHROME BORE". There is an "0" stamped just in front of the barrel extension. The FSB is not “F” marked, and has A2 front site posts. The barrel is 1/12 twist, not marked on the barrel. The profile is slim forward of the handguards, and A2 under the handguards. It is marked “1/96” by the front handguard cap. I understand this is a date as the same number is on the foil bag. The part number is SP62771 with a Cage code of 13629. As far as I can tell, this is an A2 export replacement barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top