Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2012 3:31:10 PM EDT
Anyone remember a few months ago for quite awhile there was a guy on gunbroker selling NFA replicas (identical to the real Colt moderators) for $350 or so? Might have been $395. Anyway, I'd like his info if anyone has it. I did a search on GB but didn't find him.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Itchin' for another stamp Morg?

ETA: Sorry I can't help you find the guy, but I would love to see the moderators and how hey look/work.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
A member here has one - he posted a review. What interests me is how they taped them up with electrical or friction tape. I've seen pics that look suspiciously like the end is taped off as well, which I would normally consider a dangerous practice, but one layer of tape? Maybe not. It would act as a wipe and possible quiet the first shot even more. I'd love to hear about this more from some VN vets.  Here's one of the pics that make me question this:

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
. I believe your talking about "innovative industries llc"  They make the NFA XM177 moderator.  He makes them to the original specifications.  I bought one several years ago and it looks, feels and sounds like my original Colt moderator.

http://www.innovativeindustriesllc.com/collections/suppressors
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It sure seems that if left on, after the first mag dump, you'd have burning, smoking melted mass of gunk clogging the mod.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A member here has one - he posted a review. What interests me is how they taped them up with electrical or friction tape. I've seen pics that look suspiciously like the end is taped off as well, which I would normally consider a dangerous practice, but one layer of tape? Maybe not. It would act as a wipe and possible quiet the first shot even more. I'd love to hear about this more from some VN vets.  Here's one of the pics that make me question this:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/Morg308/sontag25.jpg

the tape thing is probably more to keep crap out of the moderator than anything. last thing you want is crap in your barrel. ive seen condoms, tape, the little pre made caps you can buy being used in afghan. maybe its the same thing?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Common practice we still do that today, keeps debris out of the muzzel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you guys remove it when you get into shit? Or does firing your weapon remove it for you?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What interests me is how they taped them up with electrical or friction tape. I've seen pics that look suspiciously like the end is taped off as well, which I would normally consider a dangerous practice, but one layer of tape? Maybe not. It would act as a wipe and possible quiet the first shot even more.

The moderator was a pretty lousy silencer, which anyone could infer from its size alone. I shot them side by side with a 14.5" A1 carbine at a special operations school in 1981 or 1982, bearing in mind that the original 177 was very old and worn by then. There was not a lot of difference in the sound, but the 177 was definitely quieter than the newer carbine. Just not much quieter –– not enough to make it safe to shoot without earpro in my opinion.

Tape on the end of weapons was, as somebody noted, more to keep mung out than noise in. It has absolutely no effect on the noise or function of the weapon, it just gets blown off. Not new, they used to tape over the MG muzzles in wings of fighter planes in WWII. We ddn't get the plastic dust caps for many years and when we first got 'em, everybody got one... so you took it off before shooting only so your could reuse the cap.

On newer suppressors, taping the muzzle closed has a couple benefits, including, if you're a bit of a risk taker, keeping some water in the suppressor body. Tape won't seal a barrel–– the bullet takes no notice of it ––  but a slug of water can hydraulic-lock it. Result kB!
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I figured that keeping crap out of the barrel was the main purpose, just wondered if it made any difference on the first shot. True, the moderator is a poor substitute for a suppressor, but it wouldn't be an XM177 clone then would it? Thanks LDGUNNER for the link. I think that's the guy I was looking for. I can't justify $1600 plus a stamo for a real one, but I may be able to squeeze that out. I mean, hell, I've wasted more money than that on women and alcohol, not to mention other silly things.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 2:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The moderator was a pretty lousy silencer, which anyone could infer from its size alone. I shot them side by side with a 14.5" A1 carbine at a special operations school in 1981 or 1982, bearing in mind that the original 177 was very old and worn by then. There was not a lot of difference in the sound, but the 177 was definitely quieter than the newer carbine. Just not much quieter –– not enough to make it safe to shoot without earpro in my opinion.

Good firsthand info. The XM muzzle device was supposed to "moderate" the report to the level of a 20" rifle, or so they say. It would be interesting to find some db comparison between the different length barrels with standard FH vs. moderators.

Back to the tape issue, my guess is the backpressure would blow the tape off of the side slots as well as the front of the moderator, (especially on full). Not that there wouldn't be some residue from the tape. Someone could tests this, even on semi, it could be interesting.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#11]
The moderator actually was used to maintain back pressure in the barrel to ensure reliable functioning.  Short barrels on the M-16 platform typically have very short pressure dwell times which causes a vary high cyclic rate and also bolt bounce.  In a semi-auto it's not such a big deal.  If you are firing full-auto, you run into serious issues.  Bolt bounce causes one-shot bursts.  A higher cyclic rate causes parts to break and wear out very quickly.
The soviet Krinkov has a large muzzle device for exactly the same purpose.

Even though the XM-177 moderator only reduces the noise level a tiny bit, the fact that it DOES reduce the noise level means that ATF classifies it as a noise suppressor.  You actually get a larger sound reduction by just having a 16" barrel.

I believe that Small Arms Review had an excellent article on the moderator some years back.

BTW, according to John Plaster, the electrical tape just kept junk out of the muzzle.  It blew right off with the first shot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It would be interesting to find some db comparison between the different length barrels with standard FH vs. moderators.

Haven't got a lot of time right now, but here's a couple of links that may be relevant

How it's done today (sorry if this is behind a paywall):

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

Relevant snip:

The sound pressure level was measured according to Mil-Std 1474D, which specifies A-weighting.  Weighting degrades meter performance to match the frequency response of the human ear, and A-weighting is accurate and appropriate only for sound levels below 55 dB.  For sound levels above 130 dB, and in particular in the 160+ dB region of the non-suppressed 5.56mm rifle, the measurements should be performed without any weighting (also called “linear” or Z-weighting, depending on the meter manufacturer’s designation).  While there is a rough correlation using A-weighting between uncorking pressure and measured sound level, the sound measurements are not considered overly accurate due to compliance with the Mil-Std.

Sound levels are pressure measurements expressed as a logarithmic ratio of the actual pressure referenced to 20 micro-Pascals, the threshold of human hearing.  There was a little less consistency in the sound measurements than in actual uncorking barrel pressure measurements, partially because of adding several more variables.  These included the acoustic impedance of the air and wind direction/velocity.  In addition, the inaccuracies in this sound intensity range by using the called-for A-weighting introduces some level of inaccuracy that would probably not be seen in unweighted measurements.  When pressure is plotted against sound pressure level in decibels and sound pressure level is plotted against barrel length, there is slightly more deviation from the projected average, but the trend and general correlation is statistically meaningful.  Actual sound pressure levels varied from 162.5 dB(A) in the 24-inch barrel to 165.1 dB(A) in the 5-inch barrel.

Note that the differences are quite small. OSHA considers 140 db the upper limit for rapid transients I believe, and has a lower level for repeated exposure. Any text or good website on sound recording should explain A-weighting –– it tries to take into account the frequency response of the human ear, which is somewhat irrelevant at these ear-destroying levels.

This is the technical presentation from that same research. I thought I had a link to soft copy of earlier barrel length/spl research, but I don't. PPT converted to PDF.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armament/WednesdayCumberlandPhilipDater.pdf

If you wonder why you pay more for a full-auto silencer, the answer's in there. Also, "Why are they making these things of titanium now?" Titanium, of course, is a living nightmare to machine.

I don't think anyone's shot a moderator and collected the spl data to MIL STD 1474. The standard's newer (I think Phil Dater had a lot to do with establishing it actually).

(Edited to correct the MIL STD for small arms sound pressure measurement –– it's 1474, not 147).
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would be interesting to find some db comparison between the different length barrels with standard FH vs. moderators.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armament/WednesdayCumberlandPhilipDater.pdf

Thank you. Interesting pressure and sound data. Per the sound pressure trend, the numbers increase over the range of barrel length by about 3 dBa. If I understand the way dB and dBa work, an increase of three is roughly a doubling of sound intensity. Or maybe I remember it wrong. Could be why I am almost deaf in one ear -

Anyhow, I was actually hoping someone would test the tape on the moderator. I might try it with my semi XM clone next time I go to the range.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
You guys are too ate up with retro!  I like retro stuff too, but if I'm going through the trouble and money, I want something that makes things quieter.  Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Oops, doubletap.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#16]
INFIDEL!
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You guys are too ate up with retro!  I like retro stuff too, but if I'm going through the trouble and money, I want something that makes things quieter.  Just my opinion.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=22921

Yeah, dang nab it. Rifles should be seen and not heard.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Well VAAR, that's a damn good point. If I pay $200 for a stamp, it ought to be for something useful. I would pay the $325 for a replica just to have something closer, but the stamp puts it over the top - I mean, I could pay for both stamps and a lower receiver just for the cost of the moderator and a stamp! I'd rather have a good .22 can for another planned build than this. Guess I'll go with the Brick's moderator. BATF sure has some stupid rules. (Like paying $200 for a shorter barrel. )
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, at least you CAN have a shorter barrel. . . not to mention suppressors/moderators. . .

:::grumble, grumble:::
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, you can still build an E1 middy - I really considered this seriously, but Olgunner has been a bad influence on me. I don't regret spending more on my Remington Rand than I would have for a RIA, so I figure the same thing here. I mean, I'm 50 and not getting any younger. If I'm going to SBR anything, it's now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I like it. "Inspired by retro." Hard to make out (and my eyes are full of drywall dust), but looks like a Colt plastic stock, late A1 upper with Brunton Bump. 11.5" barrel and a flash-suppressor mounted can. Is that actually an ACOG on some kind of handle mount? Does it hold zero? What can is it, and what does it do with your impact point?

I compartmentalize. My retros are retro and my vintage stuff's vintage. My home defense gun is a semi clone of my 2002 Afghan rig, Colt 6921, KAC rails & grip, PEQ-2, ACOG, KAC flash-suppressor/can-mount.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, you can still build an E1 middy - I really considered this seriously, but Olgunner has been a bad influence on me. I don't regret spending more on my Remington Rand than I would have for a RIA, so I figure the same thing here. I mean, I'm 50 and not getting any younger. If I'm going to SBR anything, it's now.

Someday you'll be my age, son.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top