Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2012 5:50:04 AM EDT
Colt 703  PShopped  versions done  just for fun.  Still the piston upper flat-top was ahead of it's time (For an AR anyway).  Might have been nice.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I want one.

Kinda reminds me of the old Gwinn rifles.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't look right with the carbine stock. Any of the fixed stock versions look good, but the short barrel, short handguard with the fixed stock is best.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Doesn't look right with the carbine stock. Any of the fixed stock versions look good, but the short barrel, short handguard with the fixed stock is best.

I totally agree...  

Kinda reminds me of the old Gwinn rifles.

I'm not familiar with one, I'll have to look that one up.

ETA:  Ok the old  Bushmaster / Gwinn...Yep it does look like that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I suppose the 607 stocks had been phased out by the time the 703 came along, but for imagination sake, how 'bout split the difference and use a 607 stock?

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose the 607 stocks had been phased out by the time the 703 came along, but for imagination sake, how 'bout split the difference and use a 607 stock?

http://www.justissoil.com/Pics/703CAR.JPG

Now that looks do-able.  I kinda like that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so who is going to make the parts? 656-ish upper minus sight hump
And rail, rear sight doesn't look too complicated,kinda a stoner influence.
Hand gaurd and FSB look like the hardest parts to replicate.
Maybe use a AK gas tube? Or AK FSB of a kninikov
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]
MOE handguard might work with some mods
I'm retro-fitting my M4 now to go piston drive and wanna keep it retro looking.  Interesting challenge.

That K2 has Stoner written all over it.

Looks like it's been hashed over before:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/557503_.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At one time I was going to modify one of the Gen 1 UTE uppers from Rock River.

It has plenty of meat for the project. The CH would still be in the "low" position, but that wouldn't have bothered me.

I guess if NDS ever had to go with a modern / retro....the 703 would fit the bill.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Only problems with the 703 were:

Less reliable
More expensive
Less controllable
More parts
Center of Balance moved forward
Heavier

The recent op-rod craze had re-affirmed the collossal failure that the 703 was, since most people have never heard of it.  An op-rod system on an AR is stepping backwards in so many ways, but all the gun ragazine articles cliaming its superior reliability have propagandized buyers to actually believe that they are better, so a whole new cottage industry has exploded, making op-rod driven AR's.

For a collector's standpoint, it would be one of the most rare AR's to own, if not the rarest.

From a could have been standpoint, thank goodness it wasn't.  I do like the sling loop in the buttstock though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]
It looks like a parts bin mish-mash of some Daewoo K2 parts, some Stoner 63 parts (like the stock and rear sight) and some AR180/180b parts. Some creative person like JT could probably source parts for several of those guns and make a pretty accurate copy but the parts would be rather expensive even before you started to modify them.

Some would be hard to find like a Stoner rear sight and even if you used a Robinson M96 sight it may be cheaper and easier to just make one. Well easier for him but definitely not me!
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]
In looking at the pics again, maybe a fake op-rod and keep it DI may be easier if you were just going for the look.

If I had the skills I'd give it a whirl but I don't so maybe we can try and talk JT into it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In looking at the pics again, maybe a fake op-rod and keep it DI may be easier if you were just going for the look.

If I had the skills I'd give it a whirl but I don't so maybe we can try and talk JT into it?

This is a good idea.keep it simple, just for looks
I wonder if a 223 galil FSB and tube could be used/ modified?
They are not expensive and available

Paging dr. John Thomas ,,,,,
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking a 3/4" riser could be milled down and you could bolt a Robinson Arms rear sight assy for an M96 (if you could get them to sell you one - they did offer an upgrade to one with holes at one point so maybe they have some left?) to it and come pretty close. The HGs look almost like FAL ones would work, and maybe an FAL or Galil FSB could be modified in  some way? I too like the slotted buttstock - that would be a cool, pretty easy mod. Beyond what I want to get into however at this point. Too many projects on the stove already, and now we start work at 5:00 am so I get up at 3:00 - seems like I have no time at all lately.

ETA: My other thought was that an upside down M14 gas tube holder would be a good donor part.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pretty much a Daewoo K2 in many respects.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Daewoo.jpg

I was going to say exactly that when I started reading the thread. Ya beat me to it!
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#17]
looks like my gwinn

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#18]

They say what's old is new...

~Augee

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#20]

the T_56 looks almost identical.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe Master Armorer Thomas is busy with his AC-130 gunship project, but maybe he can do it in his spare time.  If any.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe Master Armorer Thomas is busy with his AC-130 gunship project, but maybe he can do it in his spare time.  If any.

He's building an AC-130 gunship!? I knew he could build anything.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought he was working on an M2 Bradley to go with his M231!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll take the third one down please.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Interesting new pic I came across

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow. Look at the width of that Charging handle! Cool pic Hal, thanks. Love seeing this kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wow. Look at the width of that Charging handle! Cool pic Hal, thanks. Love seeing this kind of stuff.

Pretty wild....Looks like nothing will interchange with a M16A1.

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:01:30 AM EDT
[#28]
For quote some time I have been trying to figure out how to do a true 703 clone, I have even looked at having some custom parts done in a short productino run just for me.

I have had the honor of seeing both prootypes up close at the KAC museum.  I t is a fascinating rifle, and just plain sexy in my opinion.

[ETA]  Hey, that is the photoshop I did of the chopped Daewoo!  
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top