Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2012 2:58:10 PM EDT
Hi guys, John Thomas helped me out with my 601 painting and parkerizing on my XM177e2.  Got them built up nice, VERY happy with the way the came out.

Here is my 601 that features an original upper, all small parts divoted and parked by JT, and Ontario bayonet recontoured and painted by JT as well.  Bolt is a Young Mfg.

Next up is my XM177E2.  The barrel is a 1/7 chrome lined Bushmaster I had Adco recontour and install a FSB and permed on a bricks mod with grenade ring.  JT parked the barrel for me.

Here is my A1 build:

A3 build (not retro but awesome nonetheless.

––––––––-

Long time lurker in this subforum.  You guys got me into loving the older stuff.

I started by assembling an A1, just did an A3 (not retro but anyways) and am working with John Thomas on a Model 601 and also XM177e2.

I have to take detailed pics of 2 builds thus far.

Here is a teaser of the XM177e2 barrel just back from Adco today.  Its in the white, going out to John Thomas shortly for park!  Has a pin/welded Brick mod and nade ring.

The host barrel was a Bushmaster 1/9 M4 barrel that a local "gunsmith" hacked the crap out of installing a FSB.

After pic Gorgeous profile work by Adco, includes removal of flash from FSB:

Before:  Host barrel (look at the messed up cock eyed install of the pins!)

Ill continue to post pics for you guys as my projects progress on.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

John Thomas finished the barrel for the XM build.  Came out awesome.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Take that pic down. It hurts to look at those pins!

Welcome and happy building.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Long time lurker in this subforum.  You guys got me into loving the older stuff.

I started by assembling an A1, just did an A3 (not retro but anyways) and am working with John Thomas on a Model 601 and also XM177e2.

I have to take detailed pics of 2 builds thus far.

Here is a teaser of the XM177e2 barrel just back from Adco today.  Its in the white, going out to John Thomas shortly for park!  Has a pin/welded Brick mod and nade ring.

The host barrel was a Bushmaster 1/9 M4 barrel that a local "gunsmith" hacked the crap out of installing a FSB.

After pic Gorgeous profile work by Adco, includes removal of flash from FSB:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/Larain60/arfcom/xm177e2barrelinwhite.jpg

Before:  Host barrel (look at the messed up cock eyed install of the pins!)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/Larain60/arfcom/FSB.jpg

Ill continue to post pics for you guys as my projects progress on.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Wow, did he drill those in his basment with a hand drill??  Anyway, welcome to the sickness!!  I thought I would build an A1 and that would be it.  Now I have 5 retros and I'm looking at a 605...    RBRD is good for your range trips and your gunsafe.  Not so much for your wallet....  
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Best is, the guy whon mangled the pins said he installs them at a 45 degree to the axis of the barrel to really lock them in there.  Haha I pushed them out with my finger, for real.

Anyways he doesn't smith any more and left the state apparently.  He was an ffl as well thankfully I didn't do any transfers through him.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best is, the guy whon mangled the pins said he installs them at a 45 degree to the axis of the barrel to really lock them in there.  Haha I pushed them out with my finger, for real.

Anyways he doesn't smith any more and left the state apparently.  He was an ffl as well thankfully I didn't do any transfers through him.

Thanks guys.

Ah, the "I meant to do that" excuse.  That one always works.....  Or not......

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
That's not 45 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Feeling more confident about doing my own pins everyday.  Sounds like you're on the fast track now.  If an advertised gunsmith can't work on an AR I sure wouldn't let them work on anything valuable.  Shame we always learn the hard way.  Glad to see he was run out of town.  Feeling for those where he might move.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the forum.  You're basically hosed now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Welcome to the forum.  You're basically hosed now.

I was going to phrase it more crudely, but yeah, you are now toast. Welcome to the forum!

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
xm barrel finished, OP updated with pic.

Nice work John Thomas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Ohh the wife unit texted me that I have a box from LA that arrived waiting for me at home.

Wonder what that can be?  Xmas early from John Thomas?  :)

Will give show n tell AAR ASAP.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the one place your pocket book will wish you would have never entered.  You've entered the abyss for ever.  Good luck with your builds, your in good hands with John T.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
You think building retro is addictive?
Wait till you start going after accessories and Holy Grails. That's when the wallet better be deep.

" I just bought an Armalite 20 Rd waffle magazine for $200+???"

Etc Etc Etc...
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes I fill my bathub with retro parts and wash my hair with LSA
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a pic of most of the work JT just did for me.  It all came out perfect.  Note the awesome barrel parkerizing too that started life as a M4 Bushmaster barrel, contoured by Adco, park by JT.

This is a current production Ontario bayonet that JT filled in the printing on the handle, and painted it nicely.  Perfection again.

Better shot of my handguards he did for me.

Lastly, check out the unbelievable machining on the pins and finish job.  That mag release button is the one made by JT.

Fun stuff, will build soon as soon as work allows me the time!!

Thanks guys.

PS in case anyone is wondering, this mix of parts are for a 601 and XM177 build Im doing now.  Not intended for one rifle.  :)
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Ya this forum should have a warning label!
I've done a 601, xm and dived in wallet first into 5 more builds!
John Thomas will be you're best friend more of these you do.
Good job
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#16]
bump with updates and pics.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Recently came down with RBRD myself - finished a 604, XM177, C7, and working on 601... All since November!  Had to sell several handguns to fund it!  
+1 on JT, HeatnBeat, and all the old timers on this forum!  Great group!

Edit -  Wanted to know where you got the handle for the bayonet... Is that a JT creation?
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Recently came down with RBRD myself - finished a 604, XM177, C7, and working on 601... All since November!  Had to sell several handguns to fund it!  
+1 on JT, HeatnBeat, and all the old timers on this forum!  Great group!

Edit -  Wanted to know where you got the handle for the bayonet... Is that a JT creation?

Yes on bayo it's JTs work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Very nice, what's the next build?
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Very nice, what's the next build?

And there is always a "next" one right?  

Are you going to "weather" the furniture or just leave it straight green?
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#22]
So do 60's have dimpled FCG pins (hammer/trigger)?
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So do 60's have dimpled FCG pins (hammer/trigger)?

My understanding is some did and some didnt.

Im planning on keeping furniture green.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top