BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/3/2011 7:53:11 AM EDT
Hi guys, I haven't posted much lately, I needed a break from all things AR related for a while. I have been working on a retro project that some of you may be interested in though. These parts are the bolt carrier block, rear barrel plate, and bolt blanks for my .22lr, 1/2 scale Gatling gun project. I have a long ways to go to finish it let alone a carriage for it, but it'll be a blast when it's finished. I will get back in the retro AR game soon.
Mods: If this thread doesn't belong in this forum please move it to the appropriate one.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
That is sweet, keep us posted.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+1 How you been man? I may be working in Phoenix soon (I hope). Once I get settled we'll have to get together and drink a few cervezas...
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 How you been man? I may be working in Phoenix soon (I hope). Once I get settled we'll have to get together and drink a few cervezas...

I'm in!

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats some nice machine work there pal!
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks Tom, i'm saving all of the fixtures/jigs that I've had to make so it's easier on the next guy that attempts one. The plans are available here. You have the equipment now, why don't you give one a go?
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]
good to see you back

got a pic/drawing of what the finished project will look like?
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
good to see you back

This is a pic I pulled from the web of a completed example from the plans I'm using. Mine will be stainless where there is brass on this one for two reasons. I found a nice length of 3" stainless for cheap, and I'm too lazy to keep brass polished up like that. If I can find 1/2" stainless tubing reasonably priced I may even do the barrels in stainless.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazing machining work!
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
good to see you back

This is a pic I pulled from the web of a completed example from the plans I'm using. Mine will be stainless where there is brass on this one for two reasons. I found a nice length of 3" stainless for cheap, and I'm too lazy to keep brass polished up like that. If I can find 1/2" stainless tubing reasonably priced I may even do the barrels in stainless.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/my65pan/rgg.jpg

seems like an appropriately scaled project like that could put all those swapped out Ruger 10/22 barrels to good use
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
good to see you back

seems like an appropriately scaled project like that could put all those swapped out Ruger 10/22 barrels to good use

The guys that have 10/22 barrels are using them. Mine will be 1/2" tubing with barrel liners silver soldered in.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome back Bro,,verrrryyy nice work ya got there!
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Great looking project. Now if you could figure out how to legally power that thing with an automotive starter motor......................  

I can't wait to see this project finished.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
VERY cool.  Great work.  I knew someone "back in the day" (1990ish) who started a  .50 cal  minigun project.  He started with a demilled 20mm vulcan mini and was going to make 50 cal inserts for the barrels.  SUPPOSEDLY he was building it for Stembridge prop house.  He ran afoul of the Feds on another front, though, making M60 receivers  and M2 50 sideplates....  Lost track of him after that.  The one time I saw it, it was partially together and he was trying to turn down M2 barrels to make chamber inserts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great looking project. Now if you could figure out how to legally power that thing with an automotive starter motor......................  

I can't wait to see this project finished.

Doc

Even with the hand crank, 50 rounds is only a 5 second burst. If it were legal to put a motor on one you'd still have to keep it down to around 600 rounds per minute and need a big drum or some sort of belt to feed it. I'll be happy just to get all ten bolts feeding, firing, and emptying the barrels reliably.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Parts is parts. This week I machined the elevation wheel, bolt extractor knob and shaft, cocking mechanism knob and shaft, the main shaft nuts, and the cylinder with the paper template taped to it will be the box cam when it's completed.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Tag for the out come.

Welcome back My65pan
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Dude, your machining skills always impress me! There's just something about a well-machined part, even when you don't know what the hell it is...
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
good to see you back

Lemme check around our shop...

How much do you need?  And what exact ID / OD?

At worst it would be 316 stainless.  Is that acceptable?

I work with hydraulics in the marine industry and my boss is a hoarder.

Not quite a gun-nut yet but I'm getting him there...

His wife's chinese Pardner Pump 20ga is slowly morphing into a K.I.S.S. home defense weapon.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
good to see you back

Lemme check around our shop...

How much do you need?  And what exact ID / OD?

At worst it would be 316 stainless.  Is that acceptable?

I work with hydraulics in the marine industry and my boss is a hoarder.

Not quite a gun-nut yet but I'm getting him there...

His wife's chinese Pardner Pump 20ga is slowly morphing into a K.I.S.S. home defense weapon.

316 would be great. I need 1/2" OD with .120 wall. 10 pieces X 11" long. Thanks for the offer!

Edit: My mistake, they need to be 13" long.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dude, your machining skills always impress me! There's just something about a well-machined part, even when you don't know what the hell it is...

+1

weather it be a steam engine or a one off piece for an old printing press, that machine work does it for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#21]
If you're going to the trouble of doing barrel inserts and what not why not make them out of aluminum and then anodize them glass black?
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#22]
It doesn't look like much, but these little parts weren't easy to machine. It's the cocking mechanism, the two tall ears will take the recoil as each bolt passes by and fires..
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Simply fantastic looking workmanship. I am looking on with envy at your skills.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like a nice start to a 2/3 scale M134
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Kewl project!!!  
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Tagscribed
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#27]
A little more progress. I milled the bolts, machined the shell extractors, and machined the bolt extractor.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome! What are you going to use for rifled barrels?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Said 'inserts' on the first page.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm going to use barrel liners sliver soldered inside of 1/2" tubing. From the muzzle back to just in front of the front barrel plate will be machined into a hex for barrel removel/installation.  The barrel liners come in 26" lengths so I'll get two out of each one.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Cool factor if off the chart
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks like a nice start to a 2/3 scale M134

Something like this XM214?

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=31280&prev=1

The short-lived "Microgun"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM214_Microgun
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#34]
There is some guy making a scaled down .22lr version of the mini gun. I have seen pictures of the progress, but never saw if it was completed or not.
ETA: Found it!
http://www.halomfg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There is some guy making a scaled down .22lr version of the mini gun. I have seen pictures of the progress, but never saw if it was completed or not.

ETA: Found it!

http://www.halomfg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j112/Halomfg/HaloMfgGAU-22minigun3.jpg
http://www.infinitearms.com/images2/d/2379-1/HaloMfgGAU-22minigun.jpg

This brings a whole new meaning to pest control.
$40k to finish it & the links are disintegrating type, but Oh! the giggle factor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#36]
A few more parts I completed today. Brackets for the breech casing, the front bearing support, and knobs for the magazine base.

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A few more parts I completed today. Brackets for the breech casing, the front bearing support, and knobs for the magazine base.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/my65pan/000_1941.jpg

Are you using Naval Brass?
I never see any tools marks on that stuff & it always looks perfect.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm using whatever brass I can scrounge right now , but I put in an order for some tubing for the breech casing etc. and some rectangular stock for the side rails and magazine base.. Machine marks are easy to smooth out on brass. I was going to go all stainless, but I can't find stainless tubing in the correct diameters for what I need. Brass and stainless will look nice though I think.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I decided to mock up some of the main components I have done onto the bar stock blanks I have for the side rails, I put the Coke can in to give you guys a visual scale. The coolest thing about this project for me is that my son has started to show an interest now that he's seen it go from just a bunch of drawings on paper into actual parts that resemble a Gatling gun.
I don't want him to be a machinist for a living, but I hope he takes an interest in operating machine tools, fabricating his own stuff, and doing his own repairs just for the satisfaction, and for the fact that all of my equipment will go to him some day.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#40]
YOU SIR,ARE AN INCREDIBLY TALENTED PERSON
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I look forward to seeing the progress on this one and hope to see some videos posted as well....
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I look forward to seeing the progress on this one and hope to see some videos posted as well....

I'll try to keep this thread out of the archives, but I'm sure I'm a couple of years away from finishing this project. I want to videotape my son firing it for the first time, it should be priceless footage.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
YOU SIR,ARE AN INCREDIBLY TALENTED PERSON

Thanks M1, you do a pretty good job of homebrewing what you need youself my friend.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Seriously, that is a thing of beauty. Don't know what it is but it makes me tingle all over.

It looks like jewelry.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#46]
More parts. I finished a magazine and weight, the mag base supports, mag base hinge, front and rear sights, elevation screw pivot, and the ejector this week.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#47]
But, don't you think solid gold will wear really quickly?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I know I said I was going to have very little brass on it, but I've had better luck finding what I need in brass. Besides, it'll look more RETRO this way.
Do any of you guys have experience using silver solder? I need to learn how to do it, and what solder, flux, torch, etc. is recommended for hard soldering brass and steel.
As a side note, I've decided to build a scale replica Civil War mortar once the Gatling is completed. I haven't decided on golf ball scale or soup can scale yet though. While I was searching for plans I ran across a guy selling plans and material for .177 caliber black powder mortars. I took a little time to machine and assemble it today. Now I need to find some firecrackers to steal the wicks from.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know I said I was going to have very little brass on it, but I've had better luck finding what I need in brass. Besides, it'll look more RETRO this way.
Do any of you guys have experience using silver solder? I need to learn how to do it, and what solder, flux, torch, etc. is recommended for hard soldering brass and steel.
As a side note, I've decided to build a scale replica Civil War mortar once the Gatling is completed. I haven't decided on golf ball scale or soup can scale yet though. While I was searching for plans I ran across a guy selling plans and material for .177 caliber black powder mortars. I took a little time to machine and assemble it today. Now I need to find some firecrackers to steal the wicks from.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/my65pan/000_1947.jpg

I'm dying to hear what the maximum effective range of that is!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#50]
The breech casing is done, along with the magazine base you can see to the left.

I spent quite a bit of time on this fixture and clamps. I'll use it to mill the cam track for the bolts in the box cam, and locate and drill the mounting holes to fit the two halves to the breech casing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top