Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2010 9:36:42 PM EDT
So if choosing between a 603 and 604 do you find that you miss the forward assist? is the weight noticeable. Is a slick side more beneficial to a carbine for weight savings? why would one choose one over the other?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always thought the forward assist was kind of an eyesore...I ended up building a slick-side (604) because I wanted a rifle that closely resembled the M16 of the early Vietnam period.

Link Posted: 1/11/2010 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a COMBAT rifle the forward assist is a good way to go.  If ya want a range gun then dont worry about it.  If your bolt wont go forward enough to lock in a range gun you can take the time to diagnose the problem you don't have that luxury in a combat situation.  So it all depends on what kind of gun you want or NEED.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I just find it interesting the AF did without even after its introduction. How many have used it range or combat. at the range I would not use it my self. If It wont chamber from a fully compressed buffer spring I probably don't need to fire it at the range. That being said I like all my stuff to be fully combat capable, you know just in case

I'm debating weather to use a 604 Upper I have of go with my original planned 603. I just cant get past the forward assist yet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Slick side:  I've never used the FA...combat or otherwise...hence my next build will be with a Vltor MUR-1S (deflector only, no FA).
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:40:17 AM EDT
[#5]
604 - Lighter, simpler, looks better.  If something is keeping the bolt from going forward, do you really want to jam it in?  Conditions are different from when the FA was envisioned, we clean our rifles regularly now, and we're not sitting in a rainforest or rice paddy.  I never used a forward assist when I was on active duty, other than to tap it just for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The answer, of course, is to build one of each.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:49:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just find it interesting the AF did without even after its introduction. How many have used it range or combat. at the range I would not use it my self. If It wont chamber from a fully compressed buffer spring I probably don't need to fire it at the range. That being said I like all my stuff to be fully combat capable, you know just in case

I'm debating weather to use a 604 Upper I have of go with my original planned 603. I just cant get past the forward assist yet.

Because it is the Air Force?
Dustin
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]
It was a practical reason the AF didn't use them.  The F/A was just another protrusion likely to poke you in the back while trying to sleep comfortably in a confined patrol vehicle while watching immobile aircraft sitting on the flight line.

I speak from experience during the "Cold War" it was damn boring: (not exactly the same, but you get the point )

I have new and old guns with and without.  I've never had the need to use a F/A and wasn't trained to use them as part of immediate action drills.  I say if they are there, fine, it may be useful someday, but I don't mind weapons without them either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Worthwhile, probably not, but for some strange reason I like forward assists.
But the best advice is build one of each...or like some of us, 12 of each.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]
For whatever reason, I'm a fan of the forward assist.  Slick side uppers just look too boring, too... slick?  However I don't think I'll be pounding the bolt closed with the forward assist anytime soon, combat or otherwise.  If that damn thing doesn't bang shut under it's own accord, then something ain't right.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never used it, but the forward assist looks very nice to me. I didn't too much care for slickside rifles before I started browsing around here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#12]
The forward assist on my varmit sniper rifle lets me chamber a round very quietly. And it allows me to check that it's seated before I drop the hammer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#13]
The forward was put on for psychological reasons according to the army, they even noted that it made most problems worse.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
If you haven't fired it yet, you can close the bolt after a chamber check with your thumb.  With the port door open, jam your thumb into the recessed portion and push forward.
Apparently some instructors teach to never use the FA and simply use this method.  For me, using the assist would be a last resort.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#15]
The very first time I got to fondle an M16A1 was when it was issued to me by Uncle Sam. From that point on I've always thought that any slickside looked a little naked. I don't remember ever "needing" the forward assist and now I wouldn't want to jam the round into the chamber if it wouldn't go by itself. It's kind of like the bayonet lug, I've never really needed it there but, to me it looks more "military" with it being there.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I would prefer a bolt assist,if for any other reason just to be there in case it is needed.You never know if that one time it IS needed will save your bacon,even for just one more shot.I love the slick sides and bolt assisted,each has it's own spot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Eugene Stoner was against the idea of having a forward assist on his rifle.  His theory was that if the round didn't chamber properly from the buffer spring that it didn't belong in the chamber and that the FA potentially created more problems than it solved.  He knew a thing or two about M16s.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Eugene Stoner was against the idea of having a forward assist on his rifle.  His theory was that if the round didn't chamber properly from the buffer spring that it didn't belong in the chamber and that the FA potentially created more problems than it solved.  He knew a thing or two about M16s.

I have had rounds that would chamber just fine when the rifle was firing, but wouldn't chamber very well when loading from a full mag. I don't know if this is from the extra pressure on the top round of the mag or that the charging handle added just enough resistance so that it wouldn't close easily. The forward assist isn't necessary, but it is a nice thing to have.
Dustin
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#20]
My Uncle Sam gave me an M16 with a forward assist and if he went to the trouble of buying it that way, there must have been a good reason!  
(OK, actually, even I don't buy that! I participated in the M9 testing and believe me, logic and quality have NOTHING to do with government purchasing.)

Serious answer?  There are uses for the FA, but I wouldn't consider it critical.
(In addition to giving the option of quietly chambering a round)...Some shooters load the first round by pulling back the charging handle and "slingshooting" it forward.  Problem is, if they "ride" the slingshot (hold onto the handle too long), they can scrub off enough spring energy that the bolt doesn't lock (particularly when the rifle's dirty).  In such a case, it's easy to tap the assist to finish the job.

Personally, the only time I've used an FA is while match shooting and that's just an old habit.  The secret of accuracy is consistency.  You want every round to chamber and lock exactly the same.  But the first round from a mag loads differently than the rest (all but that first one chamber from a fully-compressed spring).  Because I want to be certain that first round locks fully, I drop the bolt then tap the FA.
Has it ever made a difference?  I doubt it.  But it makes me feel better and I'm not gonna change now!

For what it's worth, of my ARs, my personal favorite is my 603.  It may be a semi-auto but it still brings back memories of when I was young, battle-ready and still attractive to young women.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I've used the forward assist enough to want one. It's not that big of a deal though. If the rifle is dirty enough you need a forward assist to chamber, then you probably need to clean it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow I actually didn't expect many responses. Seems to be a split down the middle. but most who like it do so for those "just in case" times.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#23]
The F/A gives us two more options for clone-building: teardrop or big-head.  Standard ARFCOM answer: BOTH!
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#24]
A lot of us were trained to give the FA a rap with the heel of the hand when loading the first round. I still do. I don't recommend beating a bolt closed with it. I do think the slickside uppers look sleaker, less shit in the way to get snagged.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top