BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2009 10:28:00 AM EDT
Searching for info on this, is what originally brought me to the site:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/IMG_0432.jpg

I know, more pictures and a description of the parts ...... but this is as good as I can do at the moment.

According to the serial number, the rifle was built in 1966.

Many goodies with the rifle: Original owner's manual, original cleaning kit(GI style), original bill of sale, five Colt marked 20 Rnd. mags W/removable 5 Rnd blocks, three boxes of mid-sixties era Remington .223 (HP & SP), 750+ Rnds of LC mid-sixties 55 Grn FMJ (in strippers and bandoleers), a BOYT mid-sixties era AR-15 rifle case, Colt marked bi-pod in a GI case, GI bayonet W/scabard and an ART scope mount.  I think that's it.

Model 601 or?

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Comments?  Questions?

ETA: http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/IMG_0453.jpg  Forgot that I had this picture.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/BOYTCase1.jpg
Here's the 60s era, BOYT AR case.  I was mistaken, the rifle with a scope mounted will NOT fit in the case, but there is plenty of room for the rifle and a dismounted scope/mount.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/BOYTCase.jpg
Interior shot of the case showing the pockets for magazines, etc.  There are two Colt 20 rounders in each pocket (the fifth Colt 20 Rnd mag is in the rifle).

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/SP1Man.jpg
Original owner's manual.  No date on back.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/ARXTRAS.jpg
Various AR goodies.  M7 bayonet (MILPAR), & M8A1 scabbard (marked WD). Colt marked BiPod and canvas GI case (marked CASE, CARRYING, BIPOD, XM3). Original Colt AR cleaning equipment (identical to GI).  Old ART scope mount with a BAUSCH & LOMB Balvar 8B 2.5-8 variable scope.  The ART mount fits snugly and will maintain zero after removing the mount from the rifle and re-installing.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Yeti47/PodLogo.jpg
Colt logo on BiPod leg.

Sorry, no feet in the pictures.

STILL can't find the original receipt.

Grumpy
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt SP1

Does the serial number start with SP.......

ETA:  Looks very nice!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Colt SP1

Does the serial number start with SP.......

ETA:  Looks very nice!!

Thanks!

The lower is marked "Model SP1" in the usual spot, but I wasn't sure if "601" would also be appropriate.

Yep.  Ser. SP 06XXX

Grumpy
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome aboard Grumpy! That's a georgous rifle!

The Model 601, 602, 603, 604 and such are all select fire even though many of them are rollmarked "AR15". Yours is the semi-auto model SP1.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Definate +1 for above^^^ Early SP1..Very nice one at that from that pic..
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Welcome aboard Grumpy! That's a georgous rifle!

The Model 601, 602, 603, 604 and such are all select fire even though many of them are rollmarked "AR15". Yours is the semi-auto model SP1.

Thanks!

Yep, definitely a semi.  Played with more than a few with the "happy switch" whilst wearing one uniform or another.  Ammo was free and plentiful then too!

Grumpy
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice, welcome and thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Definate +1 for above^^^ Early SP1..Very nice one at that from that pic..

Thanks again all!

I've lurked enough to know what sort of detailed description is expected.  I'll get pix and details as soon as I can.  I'm recovering from recent surgery and don't quite feel up to a whole lot of activity at the moment.

I'll pony up for a membership in the near future.

I haven't shot the rifle for a while, but it is quite accurate and 100% reliable.  It's also completely original.

Grumpy

Link Posted: 10/6/2009 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#8]
It is an R6000, not a 601.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is an R6000, not a 601.

Thanks.

Grumpy
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I love SP1's.  Nice rifle grumpy-old-man.  Did you recently acquire it or are you the original owner?

If you have not seen this variant chart yet, it gives a good quick overview of the main parts for different models.  I have noticed some minor inconsistencies (don't remember right now which ones), but that is not unusual with Colt.

You'll see a good guide line is that a three digit number like 604 can usually be associated with a military model and a four digit, like R6000 like Tex gave you is a civilian model.  It's probably not always true, but a general guideline.

Welcome, enjoy!

AR-15 Variants
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love SP1's.  Nice rifle grumpy-old-man.  Did you recently acquire it or are you the original owner?

If you have not seen this variant chart yet, it gives a good quick overview of the main parts for different models.  I have noticed some minor inconsistencies (don't remember right now which ones), but that is not unusual with Colt.

You'll see a good guide line is that a three digit number like 604 can usually be associated with a military model and a four digit, like R6000 like Tex gave you is a civilian model.  It's probably not always true, but a general guideline.

Welcome, enjoy!

AR-15 Variants

RLR350 ........

Thanks for the info.  Lots of sharp guys on this site!  Feel free to list and report any inconsistencies that you notice, good stuff to know.

OK, ya caught me ............. I'm an ol' dude, I bought the rifle NIB, in 1966, a few months before I entered the service.

Now then, somebody is gonna ask so ................

The bayonet & sheath and bi-pod & case were "freebies"  .  The ART mount was a freebie (a buddy didn't like it).  Are ya ready?  I'm gonna break your heart ......................... (scroll down)

IF I recall correctly, and I still have some of the paperwork, I have under $300.00 (that's three hundred) invested in the rest, including the rifle.  Just to bring all of that into perspective, waaaaay back then, a NIB, Colt 1911A1 (factory nickle) went out the door for $90.00+/-.

Back in 1971 -72, a gun shop that I used to haunt would sell me all kinds of GI surplus ammo for six cents a round (no BMG).  Pistol, rifle ....... didn't matter.  I wish I had a time machine!

The rifle has a few minor blemishes. Years ago, it was just another rifle to haul around on duty, if I felt that I needed a little more fire power.

New pic in OP.

Grumpy
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!

Thanks and ......... thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice, Sir. Thanks for sharing your pics and info. You wouldn't mind posting pics of your vintage accessories, when you feel better? Wonder what a mid sixties AR rifle case looks like?
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very nice, Sir. Thanks for sharing your pics and info. You wouldn't mind posting pics of your vintage accessories, when you feel better? Wonder what a mid sixties AR rifle case looks like?

44Echo10,

The case is made from tan canvas (similar to a Carhart jacket), there is a tan leather protector at the muzzle end.  The case is designed to hold the AR with a Colt scope mounted, but as I recall, a conventional scope on the ART mount is too large to fit in the case, when mounted on the rifle. The case is lined with green, quilted felt like material and has two interior pockets that will hold a total of four, 20 Rnd mags.  A heavy, brass zipper holds the case closed and the leather carrying handle is long, adjustable and is configured very much like a leather rifle sling.  The case sides are well padded.  Even empty, the case has some weight to it.  The case is a quality piece of work, and I've never seen another like it.  The shop where I bought the AR had to order it for me.

Looking at the owner's manual, you can tell that the lawyers didn't write it!  Very few pages with just basic information.

It'll be a while before I can dig everything out and get PIX posted.

Grumpy
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Grumpy,,I'd love to see the accessories too!! I traded for an in the box,in the plastic, with the cardboard barrel tube, unfired 64 SP1 this past Memorial Day weekend,,I would love to compare notes on the accesories..Mine came from the original owner,came with the straight  4 piece cleaning rod,early colt bipod,2 mags,sling,and in the box never mounted made in US 3 X 20 scope..and an unissued Milpar bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey Grumpy,,I'd love to see the accessories too!! I traded for an in the box,in the plastic, with the cardboard barrel tube, unfired 64 SP1 this past Memorial Day weekend,,I would love to compare notes on the accesories..Mine came from the original owner,came with the straight  4 piece cleaning rod,early colt bipod,2 mags,sling,and in the box never mounted made in US 3 X 20 scope..and an unissued Milpar bayonet.

m1sniper,

It sounds like you made quite a score!  I've seen one or two NIB 60s era ARs in years past, but they've GOT to be scarce as hens teeth!

For some reason, I never picked up the Colt scope.  I always regretted that. No real reason to get one now though.

I looked for the bill of sale yesterday, but wasn't able to locate it.  My lovely wife "rearranged" stuff looking for some crocheting supplies so ........... the search will continue.

When I'm feeling up to it, I'll dig out the accessories that I mentioned and get some PIX posted.  Those things I can find.  The most interesting item of the bunch is probably the BOYT case.

I've fired a few hundred rounds through my SP1, but I bought it to shoot it, so I don't feel bad about breaking it in.

Grumpy
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Hya Grumpy,I don't know why the original owner never fired it,,but can tell you this,I AIN'T GONNA 'it will be given to my Son eventually with a legal contract saying he will never fire it either. Mine still has the Colt tag hanging on a string from the trigger guard,and ,,ready for this?? Original MSRP was $189.95 printed right on the tag.I'll try to post some pics here today..
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Ahhh bumber,last pic is too fuzzy,but bottom right on the tag shows the $189.95 MSRP.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hya Grumpy,I don't know why the original owner never fired it,,but can tell you this,I AIN'T GONNA 'it will be given to my Son eventually with a legal contract saying he will never fire it either. Mine still has the Colt tag hanging on a string from the trigger guard,and ,,ready for this?? Original MSRP was $189.95 printed right on the tag.I'll try to post some pics here today..

m1sniper,

Look forward to seeing the PIX.

ETA:  MAN, you're quick!

VERY nice!

It was nice of Colt to include a cleaning kit, but the one that came with my AR was MilSpec and would only accept GI accessories.  .22 Cal GI bore brushes weren't all that common on the civilian market back then.

Don't ya just love the propaganda that Colt printed on the hang-tag!?  "Self cleaning gas system", "Minimal maintenance ......".  

Grumpy
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

44Echo10,

The case is made from tan canvas (similar to a Carhart jacket), there is a tan leather protector at the muzzle end.  The case is designed to hold the AR with a Colt scope mounted, but as I recall, a conventional scope on the ART mount is too large to fit in the case, when mounted on the rifle. The case is lined with green, quilted felt like material and has two interior pockets that will hold a total of four, 20 Rnd mags.  A heavy, brass zipper holds the case closed and the leather carrying handle is long, adjustable and is configured very much like a leather rifle sling.  The case sides are well padded.  Even empty, the case has some weight to it.  The case is a quality piece of work, and I've never seen another like it.  The shop where I bought the AR had to order it for me.

Looking at the owner's manual, you can tell that the lawyers didn't write it!  Very few pages with just basic information.

It'll be a while before I can dig everything out and get PIX posted.  Grumpy

Thanks Grumpy

Sounds pretty much like my Dad's rifle and shotgun cases from the same time period, only for an AR15. I've never seen a cover from this era specifically for the AR,  probably not much of a market at the time either. Only seen the newer nylon ones. You concentrate on recovery and we will be patient on asking about pics and such.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Bump for evening crew.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Good stuff, Grumpy.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top