Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2009 5:58:52 PM EDT
So, playing around with one of my uppers, I noticed something...
If you've got the upper removed from the lower, the F/A notches actually run far enough towards the bolt end of the carrier for you to use the F/A plunger to run the bolt up into battery from damn near full recoil.

Now...I have to wonder...Why the hell would you put it together like that?!  If you need to start ramming the bolt home by hand from that far back, maybe you've got bigger problems?  I always thought the F/A was just to give it a tap and chamber a round if you were trying to be quiet, after a brass-check, and if your locking lugs are super dirty and you just can't stop to clean it...
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
That's so when the extractor tears the bottom off the case you can jam another round into it and REALLY foul things up. You didn't know this?
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you've got the upper removed from the lower, the F/A notches actually run far enough towards the bolt end of the carrier for you to use the F/A plunger to run the bolt up into battery from damn near full recoil.

Now...I have to wonder...Why the hell would you put it together like that?!  If you need to start ramming the bolt home by hand from that far back, maybe you've got bigger problems?  I always thought the F/A was just to give it a tap and chamber a round if you were trying to be quiet, after a brass-check, and if your locking lugs are super dirty and you just can't stop to clean it...

Try a little experiment at home.

1. open up rifle, remove recoil spring and buffer.
2.  close rifle.
3.  Charge rifle.
4.  Try opening up the rifle to fix the malfunction that just occurred.

Obviously that is a 'worst case scenario' but think what would happen if you bolt carrier group bound up back there due to fouling or the spring breaking/failing.  If the botl carrier group gets wedged up back there, it is *very* awkward to get the rifle apart.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Or you can bang the muzzle on the floor.  We have students that forget to put the buffer spring in all the time nd that's probably th quickest way to get it forward.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Or you can bang the muzzle on the floor.  We have students that forget to put the buffer spring in all the time nd that's probably th quickest way to get it forward.

*Rolls on the floor screaming*
AHHH! MY BEAUTIFUL THREE PRONG!  WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!

OK, I thought about the bound up bolt carrier issue, but at that point I wonder if you're better off NOT beating the hell out of it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Rolls on the floor screaming*
AHHH! MY BEAUTIFUL THREE PRONG!  WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!

OK, I thought about the bound up bolt carrier issue, but at that point I wonder if you're better off NOT beating the hell out of it?

Beating the hell out of the rifle, or the cadet?

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I totally agree the forward assist should not be used to send a stuck bolt hom, but my point was that it is always good to have a positive way to move the carrier group of a rifle forward in the event of mechanical or operator headspace failure.

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Beating the hell out of the rifle, or the cadet?

*Cracking knuckles*
Bring the cadet over here...

I agree to some extent about the use of the assist in bashing rounds home...I think there IS a time to start using it...
If the round doesn't want to chamber, eject it, maybe it's bad, to hell with it.
The next one does the same thing.  Get rid of it, and the magazine.
The next round from the new magazine does the same thing.  BEAT THE HELL OUT OF IT!  Maybe your chamber is dirty.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
In an emergency, yes.  On the range or with a secondary weapon, probably not.  But I'll add that I was never trained to use them and don't ever recall using one.  I'm to the point that I really believe they leave that part of SPORTS ("T" for tap the F/A) in there because if they took it out it would spell "SPORS" and that wouldn't make since.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly I consider "SPORTS" a different procedure, only useful when you KNOW a dirty rifle is causing problems.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bad round

bad round

another bad.....KaBoom ! Holy Sh*t

Like this? The poor kid...   KABOOM

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always thought the F/A was just to give it a tap and chamber a round if you were trying to be quiet, after a brass-check, and if your locking lugs are super dirty and you just can't stop to clean it...

The forward assist was not designed for this reason.  In fact, it wasn't conceived for any specific reason at all.  Since the designers didn't know what it might possibly be used for, they gave it the biggest operating range possible.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow that kaboom was really something. I had a double charged 9mm round go off in my 9mm M16 once. Makes you do a serious check of your body parts and scares the crap out of you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife had an oob discharge a few weeks ago shooting a conversion kit in my AR, scared the hell out of her. Thankfully nothing hurt, especially her, I'd never find another to treat me as good as she does.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

i saw that video too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]
What video?  Sorry kid but I didn't post one.

Edit...Saw Echo's video...
I want to point out that THIS WAS NOT THE RESULT OF THE FORWARD ASSIST!

This is the result of someone who should not be reloading his own ammo, reloading his own ammo...
My guess is he started screwing something up with his press on those three rounds...

That said, the way he smacks away at the assist annoys the hell out of me.  When I DO use mine, I pretty much never smack, whack, or otherwise bash on it, and never multiple times.  If I feel the need to use it, I'll give it a gentle push just to see if everything feels solid and seated.  If something doesn't feel right, I'm probably going to eject the chambered round and check it out.....Just like I'd start thinking really hard and checking things closely if I had three clicks in a row...
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#17]
In the 90's in the USMC we were trained to give the FA a thump with the heel of our hand every time we released the bolt.  I don't do it all the time now, but sometimes I do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, he had bad reloads. That one was probably short charged, had just enough to lodged a projectile in the bore. The next round wouldn't seat all the way. He pounded it home. Then KABOOM when it had no place else to go. Always double or triple check your reloads. I use a single stage and small batches, takes longer but...
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top