BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, not to hijack this - but I have a Remington Model 10 Riot shotgun that has a broken stock...does anyone know where I could find one?  Numerich is out of stock.

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you had asked me a week ago if I would ever do a retro shotgun project, I would have told you "No".

Last week I was in a pawn shop out in the middle of no where, and I was looking at the gun rack. I handled several old 12ga shotguns and never thought twice about any of them. I eventually decided on a nice Mosin Nagant and bought it.

A couple days ago I read this thread and the first thing I thought was "I'm pretty sure there were a couple of those "Stevens 77 E" shotguns at that old pawn shop".

Your thread really got me interested in doing one of these retro shotguns. So much so that I ordered a stock from numrich.

Today I made the 1.5 hour drive back to that pawn shop to see what exactly he had.

He had one Stevens 67 E, which I bought, one Springfield 67 E (I'm pretty sure it was a "E"), which I told him I would be back for, and there were two other Stevens models but I forget what they were (not 67 or 77).

[ the picture of the whole shotgun came out blury, I'll try that one again tomorrow ]

This one has a vented barrel so I'm not sure this will even work. I need to figure out how to remove it.

So, can I use this? Would I be better off going with the Srpingfield model?

If nothing else I have another 12ga that I paid $130.00 for.  

Gene
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joescuba] [#3]

Originally Posted By JJREA:

Originally Posted By Joescuba:
Here is a picture of my retro military shotgun.  Its a U.S. Property marked Remington 870 Wingmaster. I carried one just like it , and a FN Hi Power in El Salvador.  

i34.tinypic.com/25aqas5.jpg

i38.tinypic.com/2i0qhx1.jpg

Hey Joe, you have all the cool stuff!!!!  You deserve it though.  Can you expand on how you feel on the valuability of a shotgun for combat purposes?  I would imagine it's not the optimum but I was just wondering what you thought of it.  

That is one sweet pic!

Thanks JJREA.  I got lucky when I stumbled across that shotgun in the picture.  I think the shotgun has a place in ground combat.  Its the right tool for some jobs, but like all weapons it has some limits. The most important thing when deploying the shotgun is training. You really have to put alot of rounds down range to get a good feel for what a shotgun can do.  I carried a shotgun  or a Uzi based on the threat level and where I was.   When I was down range in El Salvador we were limited to the type weapons we could carry. For a period of time we were not allowed to have or carry M16A1s. We could only have weapons that were considered defensive weapons.  This was more for politically reasons than anything else.
Regards, Joescuba
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By GENESMITH:

So, can I use this? Would I be better off going with the Srpingfield model?

If nothing else I have another 12ga that I paid $130.00 for.  

Gene

To my knowledge (still very limited on these guns!), the military shotguns did not have vent ribs on the barrels. That doesn't mean you "can't" use it. None of our retro builds here are 100% authentic--unless you want to build them with all original parts with an original, ex-military NFA lower--so your own satisfaction is the only standard.

If you use a Savage or Stevens 67/77 E model, with button safety, correct shucker (ribbed wood with caps on  both ends), and no rib, your project will look authentic from arm's length, at least for an early model with the barrel band sling attachment. Mine is marked Savage 67 (not correct), and has a slide safety (also not correct), but I am not going to be that nit picky with my first one.

A user on the FAL Files has several print articles on these that he has kindly offered to photocopy and send my way. If it's good information, I plan on PDF'ing them and making them available, which should really increase our knowledge on these weapons.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weptek911] [#7]
All right, I'm in. I just had them set one aside for me at my favorite hole-in-the-wall pawnshop. A Savage/Springfield 67 with button safety.

I'll put some pics up tomorrow when I get it home.

Here is a retro look Winchester I did a number of years ago

Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I got 2 77E's U.S. property marked when I was in South Carolina at a pawn shop. I have since moved and sold them. Man I wish i would have kept at least one of them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
That 1200 is pretty close to the Winchesters we had when I was stationed in Italy back in the late 80s.  I missed a beater 1200 on gunbroker that I would convert to the same style.  To be honest, the 1200 was never as popular with us as the 590 was but I still want to build one like that for sentimental reasons.  Nice looking retro shotgun though!
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By coctailer:

Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
I got 2 77E's U.S. property marked when I was in South Carolina at a pawn shop. I have since moved and sold them. Man I wish i would have kept at least one of them.

D'OH!!!

Here is the last one I had. I needed to raise some money so sadly and regretfully all of these are now gone.

Link Posted: 9/18/2008 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Dang I would love to have an original. They are rare as hell though from what I can tell. I've seen a few pics on here, but never one for sale.

I finally got my lifter working--had to cut the notch out in the plate under the bolt to almost twice it's original size! There are definitely some mismatched parts in here. You have to pump it firmly, but it lifts like it should. Man, what a PIA. Stupid bolt stop works too, after much cursing.

AND the gun headspaces okay. It actually is fairly tight on the GO, so I think it's right where it should be. So I just need to finish up the barrel end and it will be time to head to the range...
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By mike_nds:
That vent rib should be brazed on, you can take that off in about 10 minutes with a MAP torch.

Hmmmmm.... I'll have to try it.

Numrich has  a 20" barrel in stock for this one, but it doesn't say if has the vent rib or not.

On another note, I was looking up some info for another rifle and I found this website that has hundreds of pdf'd owners manuals.

www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

I've already downloaded as many as I could find for the stuff I own.

Gene
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By JJREA:

Here is a picture of my retro military shotgun.  Its a U.S. Property marked Remington 870 Wingmaster. I carried one just like it , and a FN Hi Power in El Salvador.  

i34.tinypic.com/25aqas5.jpg

i38.tinypic.com/2i0qhx1.jpg

Hey Joe, you have all the cool stuff!!!!  You deserve it though.  Can you expand on how you feel on the valuability of a shotgun for combat purposes?  I would imagine it's not the optimum but I was just wondering what you thought of it.  

That is one sweet pic!

Thanks JJREA.  I got lucky when I stumbled across that shotgun in the picture.  I think the shotgun has a place in ground combat.  Its the right tool for some jobs, but like all weapons it has some limits. The most important thing when deploying the shotgun is training. You really have to put alot of rounds down range to get a good feel for what a shotgun can do.  I carried a shotgun  or a Uzi based on the threat level and where I was.   When I was down range in El Salvador we were limited to the type weapons we could carry. For a period of time we were not allowed to have or carry M16A1s. We could only have weapons that were considered defensive weapons.  This was more for politically reasons than anything else.
Regards, Joescuba

Thanks for the input!!!  Makes complete sense about the training.  Since you brought it up, how did you like the Uzzi?  They seem like capable weapons also.  FWIW, that is a find looking shotgun you got.

Weptek, cool winny!!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I should have posted something long ago rather than lurking in the shadows. I too have a project that probably predates the original post. Years ago I met a guy at Knob Creek that had a seriously retro shotgun. Ever since I saw it I've wanted one but I can't bring myself to cough up the change for an original or modify something as nice as the original gun.

So, I may end up with a hybrid.

Here's what I have to work with. It needs a stock and some serious finish work.

Here's what I'd really love to have!

Link Posted: 9/18/2008 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By 45Bravo:
I should have posted something long ago rather than lurking in the shadows. I too have a project that probably predates the original post.

That's right, speak up, or some n00b will come along and steal the credit!

So...any plans to add mag extensions and duckbills to your retro offerings?
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 3:08:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By GENESMITH:
On another note, I was looking up some info for another rifle and I found this website that has hundreds of pdf'd owners manuals.

www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

I've already downloaded as many as I could find for the stuff I own.

Gene

Thanks for sharing this site.  I found some good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By 45Bravo:

Here's what I'd really love to have!

s149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/45Bravo/SGduckbill.jpg

45Bravo, is that one of the pics I emailed you a while back?  My parts haven't shown up in the mailbox yet!
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#19]
What are you'all going to use to blacked to the fore grip to match the blackened stock?
Can't leave it varnished....
Ron
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By skychair:
What are you'all going to use to blacked to the fore grip to match the blackened stock?
Can't leave it varnished....
Ron

The wood and metal did not want to separate on mine, so it's being left alone for now. It's not a terrible match since it's pretty beat on and most of the gloss is long gone. If the gun proves reliable, I'll probably strip it an try to get the blotchy look with stain.

I wish I knew what they were originally treated with. It really does not look like stain...or any other conventional stock finish. Anyone have a guess?
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Being motivated by this thread, I checked my local place. They had a Springfield 67f for 95 bucks. I couldn't tell any real differences so I went ahead put it on layaway so I could double check with the hive mind here. Is this a good candidate for the retro treatment? Any major differences between the 'e' and 'f' model?

I apologize in advance for any form errors in this. I'm typing this on my crackberry.
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Willmar:
Being motivated by this thread, I checked my local place. They had a Springfield 67f for 95 bucks. I couldn't tell any real differences so I went ahead put it on layaway so I could double check with the hive mind here. Is this a good candidate for the retro treatment? Any major differences between the 'e' and 'f' model?

I apologize in advance for any form errors in this. I'm typing this on my crackberry.

It looks fine.

I just brought mine home from the pawn shop. It's a Springfield 67H. It has the trigger group mounted button safety. I think I'm going to strip the wood and go for the blackened stock with some fabric die or shoe coloring. (not wax based)
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Being motivated by this thread, I checked my local place. They had a Springfield 67f for 95 bucks. I couldn't tell any real differences so I went ahead put it on layaway so I could double check with the hive mind here. Is this a good candidate for the retro treatment?

I started with a 67F found at a local shop in the backroom for $100 out the door.  It has the push-button safety on the trigger guard.

I've started finishing the Vietnam era stocks and stripping/refinishing the old original wood on the 67F.

Here's a few pics...

Have to replace a couple of springs in the trigger assembly and shorten the barrel.

This is turning into a great project.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By ar15guy:

Have to replace a couple of springs in the trigger assembly and shorten the barrel.

This is turning into a great project.

Looks like a good score. I still can't believe how many people are snapping these up. I've been watching 67/77 auctions on GB for months now, and suddenly everything $100 or less is selling first time around. I guess when you're used to droppping many hundreds of dollars on a retro AR build, a $150 retro looks pretty good!

Re: springs...they didn't solve anything for me. When I first got mine, the bolt stop didn't work and the lifter didn't work. First thing I did was clean, lube, and replace all springs--didn't change anything. If you're having issues with either of those, post them here and I'll tell you how I fixed mine. There is NO info out there on fixing these things. I posted on a bunch of gunsmithing and shotgun boards and got ZERO replies.

If you have a different problem and fix it, please post it here too, so our knowledge of these finicky beasts will grow.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Good thread, I need something like these shown.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Picked up my $29 Model 67 after work yesterday.  It was in better shape than I expected.  I did think that there would be a part to repair when I heard something loose inside the magazine tube.  It turned out to be a wooden dowel used to plug it to two rounds for hunting.

Link Posted: 9/20/2008 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Here are some Soldiers demonstrating the use of a shotgun at a Vietnam firebase

www.youtube.com/watch?v=se7lljRDNjk

Link Posted: 9/20/2008 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like all I need are the sling swivels & T vented recoil pad.  
I've had an old Westpoint 167 (Savage/Stevens made housebrand for some hardware or department store I think) for years, bought it cheap & shortened the barrel to a little over 20" to serve as a low buck defense gun.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Frostbite:
Picked up my $29 Model 67 after work yesterday.  It was in better shape than I expected.  I did think that there would be a part to repair when I heard something loose inside the magazine tube.  It turned out to be a wooden dowel used to plug it to two rounds for hunting.

farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/2872934730_968d9e1aa2.jpg

Nice Find. That looks great. Safety on the trigger too? I want to find that deal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Sling swivels came today....got some good news and some bad news.

Good news it, the barrel band fits perfectly and looks just right.

The bad news is that the sling attachments are for narrow slings--1" or maybe even 3/4"--so they won't work as-is for putting a GI sling on there.

Since I bought 3 buttstocks, I had spare original sling loops, and it was easy to non-destructively remove one and install it on the barrel band. It would also be easy to fabricate any or all of these parts. It's just bent bar stock with a hole drilled in it.

So other than the new front bead, mine is complete. I'll post pics when I have a chance to grab some...
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I got a 77b on G.B. for $109. I'm at work now so I'll have to wait another 6-7 weeks before I pick it up!!! Got the stock and the book but the guy is sold out of the sling swivels. I might drill and tap the front lug.Nice video!
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#32]
First off, to Malikovski: I hate you. I haven't even sent my barrel off to 45Bravo yet for his chop job so I can finish my XM177E2. Now I am in on this retro shotgun madness. Why do I visit this site?!

Ordered a couple of the military stocks from Numrich. One to use and the other to cannibalize the extra swivel. Also picked up a couple of replacement front sights. Now I gotta see if my local gunsmith can do the park job when he chops the barrel (don't have the hardware to do it myself).

The local gun store where I purchased the 67 has a bunch of old buttstocks in a pile. I think I will dig around there on Monday and try to find an old red butt pad.

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

My name is Willmar and I'm a retroholic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Ladies, guess what I found?!

Northridge has Stevens 77 stocks with the correct pad (at least it shows the correct pad on the web photo). $14.95 plus shipping. Woot!!!

Linky
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the link. I think mine has a red pad,butt- ordered another just to be safe!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a mint 67E, I could not imagine taking it to war... it was a horrible gun to takedown and clean!

But that may have just been my example

Link Posted: 9/20/2008 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Malikovski,

I was going through my pictures looking for something completely unrelated and found this.

Link Posted: 9/20/2008 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Northridge has Stevens 77 stocks with the correct pad (at least it shows the correct pad on the web photo). $14.95 plus shipping. Woot!!!

Linky

SWEET!!!

That was the last piece of the puzzle. Order placed! Get 'em while you can
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Linky

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a Stevens 67 E ...Attempting to remove the drift pin just over the trigger guard, , the pin will not drift.
I hope that I am correct that the pin drifts out to the left as viewed from the rear?
Is there a secret to getting this pin out?
It does not appear to be frozen, because I can remove the thru bolt/screw for the hammer, and the trigger guard will rotate on the pin I'm trying to remove.
Any hints?
Ron
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#41]
If I remember correctly, I moved mine from left to right as viewed from the rear of the receiver.  There was a slight bit of marring on the pin from the previous owner, which let me know which side to tap.  The pin came out quite easily.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine came out the left side as well if I recall. It was bent slightly to hold it in place, but a good whack with a tapered punch and light hammer got it moving.

If it's stuck. try soaking it with PB Blaster or another penetrant for a while.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#43]
The sling swivels came today....
I've never seen a sling that narrow.
I guess I need to buy another stock to get a larger sling swivel....
Its always something.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Got an email for Northridge today:

Stevens M77 Buttstock w/recoil pad -SOLD OUT ITEM - NO BACKORDER

I've ordered from them three times now, and they've never had what I ordered in stock. Pretty poor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep...I got the same response No butt stocks, No back order.
Any one have a spare rear sling swivel?
Ron
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Ron

I called Northridge to get a couple. The nice lady that answered said they were out.

She also asked, "Why is it that I got 20 orders, e-mails, and phone calls in the last few days about this particular buttstock".

I filled her in

Didn't get one either.

Back to square one. I guess it was too easy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 6:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar15guy] [#48]

Ron

I called Northridge to get a couple. The nice lady that answered said they were out.

She also asked, "Why is it that I got 20 orders, e-mails, and phone calls in the last few days about this particular buttstock".

I filled her in

I talked to them on the phone today too.  Shortly after I also received that dreaded "out of stock" email.

Hey Malikovski, I received the field maintenance manual today for the Stevens 77E...That was quick.  

It was exactly what I needed to help me resolve my issue with "slide lock and spring assembly".  Maybe now, I can get the darn thing back together and operating correctly.  I ordered a replacement from e-gunparts, but the new one has a "tail" on the end (probably used on models with the safety switch on top).  Needless to say, it's the wrong part and I'll try to repair my old one using a new replacement wire spring that I ordered (actually, I ordered 2 just in case).

Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar15guy] [#49]
Well, now that I've gotten over the disappointment of not being able to get a couple of recoil pads, I've moved on to completion of the Springfield 67F.

As I stated previously, I'm having some problems with the slide lock assembly not operating properly (i.e. unable to rack the slide and unable to operated the slide lock).  So, I ordered what I thought was the correct part from e-gunparts.  I'm guessing this is used on models with the upper safety tang versus the the push-button version I have.  This is what I received..

Upon my package of small parts arriving, it didn't take long to discover is was the wrong part.  So, I just found and purchased the correct part on gunbroker...

While I'm waiting for the new barrel and buttstock sling swivel assemblies and the correct slide lock assembly to arrive, I called in a favor from a friend that owns a machine shop.  It took all of 5 minutes for him to cut my barrel and deburr it.  The barrel length from end of receiver to end of barrel is 19.25 inches.  My machine shop buddy said he'd drill and tap the hole for a new bead site when it arrives (gotta love friends that have the proper tools).  Here's a few pics with a M1 Garand sling...

Didn't like the way the Garand sling fit on the rear swivel, so I tried an M1 Carbine sling.  It's only an inch wide (versus 1.25 inches wide on the Garand sling).  I'm thinking I'll end up using the M1 Carbine sling.  Here's a couple of pics...

Now I'm just waiting for the needed parts to arrive.

Still looking for the correct recoil pad.

Thanks "Malikovski", this has turned into a fun and inexpensive project for a bunch of us.

Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#50]
One retro, one not.
With dog frisbee.

Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top