Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2007 5:57:26 PM EDT
I've been reading a lot about the Son Tay raid lately.  I'm curious as to why no one has ever made a movie out of this story.

I mean, it was one of the first "green beret"-era SOF missions of its kind.  There were some MAJOR players in Army Special Forces involved, and besides the failed intelligence, it was a complete success.  

The only reason I can think of for not making it is because there's no climax...no rescue.  But I would really love to see someone do this.

I know this question isn't really AR related, so here's a question to make it fit this forum:  Do you think they'd be able to gather enough proper Model 639s and Singlepoints to equip a cast?
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've been reading a lot about the Son Tay raid lately.  I'm curious as to why no one has ever made a movie out of this story.

I mean, it was one of the first "green beret"-era SOF missions of its kind.  There were some MAJOR players in Army Special Forces involved, and besides the failed intelligence, it was a complete success.  

The only reason I can think of for not making it is because there's no climax...no rescue.  But I would really love to see someone do this.

I know this question isn't really AR related, so here's a question to make it fit this forum:  Do you think they'd be able to gather enough proper Model 639s and Singlepoints to equip a cast?

They're actually 629s. 639s are the "commercial/export" model. But that wouldnt be a problem. The problem would be the Singlepoints. But then again, they can just get a bunch from all the Star Wars nerds
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Blanco, you were right about my error.  But now I think they were 649s (no FA)/GAU-5A/A.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Got that covered.........
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You basically answered your own question.  I'm a self-proclaimed MACV-SOG historian and I've been researching and writing about SOG now for nearly five years.  There's still a lot of speculation regarding the second element of raiders that landed at the barracks on the outskirts of the actual target.  When they landed, they immediately made contact with a large number of stunned mercenaries, Chinese-Communists, I think...  At any rate, many seem to think that there was a second objective to the raid, and that was to basically wipe out that barracks.  Who knows?
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The guns used for the raid were 630s (GAU-5A/A)

It was an Air Force led operation thus the use of Air Force weapons.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was in the Air Force, I served in an air rescue squadron for several years. One of our pararescue guys (PJs for short) was an old head who participated in the Son Tay raid. I won't name him here out of respect for his privacy, but he was highly decorated and his photo is displayed at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio.  He related some of his combat experience to me over a few beers one night - really amazing & hair raising stuff.  I've had the same thought myself about what a great film it would make.  Probably all it would take would be for someone to write the screenplay.  The people who produced BLACKHAWK DOWN could do a great job with this story.  Our PJs all carried GAU-5s.  They were awesome!  That was the first time I ever saw a carbine version of the M-16, when a PJ buddy of mine showed me his GAU-5 (circa 1983).
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you guys are missing one very important detail here.

Hollywood is predominatly leftist.

And the leftists don't want America from hearing/seeing anything positive about the US military. Especially the US military in Vietnam.

Or do I need to loosen my tinfoil.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think you guys are missing one very important detail here.

Hollywood is predominatly leftist.

And the leftists don't want America from hearing/seeing anything positive about the US military. Especially the US military in Vietnam.

Or do I need to loosen my tinfoil.

The only way it would be made is with the typical spin on VN that we see in most movies:  

I think it just depends on who would produce it.  Those who produced "We Were Soldiers" or "Blackhawk Down" would do it right.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Bumblebee. Hollywood definitely leans to the left. They would never produce a movie that shows the Viet Nam war in a positive light. Did anyone pay attention to the movies shown on TV for the Veterans Day Holiday. They picked flicks like Hamburger Hill and Casualties of War. Soldiers getting drunk, smoking dope, and raping the honorable female citizens of Viet Nam. Sounds like the history teacher I had in college. All the old classics aren't being shown anymore. There no longer PC.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I think "Hamburger Hill" is probably one of the best Vietnam films out there.  84-Charlie MoPic is another good one that slipped under the radar, but yeah, I get tired of the Vietnam cliches, too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Siege of firebase Gloria isn’t that bad.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Is that the one with Gunny in it?  (R.Lee Emery)  Packing his .38?  There was some cool shots of an M14 shooting in that one.  It was a little hokie but nevertheless I really liked it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that the one with Gunny in it?  (R.Lee Emery)  Packing his .38?  There was some cool shots of an M14 shooting in that one.  It was a little hokie but nevertheless I really liked it.

Yes it has R. Lee in it.
+1 for it being a little hokie but I liked it to.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think "Hamburger Hill" is probably one of the best Vietnam films out there.  84-Charlie MoPic is another good one that slipped under the radar, but yeah, I get tired of the Vietnam cliches, too.

My opinion, hambuger hill sucked.  What was with them pulling back on the CH every time they reloaded?
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My opinion, hambuger hill sucked.  What was with them pulling back on the CH every time they reloaded?

You know, I never noticed that...  I own it, so I'll watch it more closely next time.  Otherwise, it may have been the type of prop-guns they were using, I dunno?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top