User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 25
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

What would be great would be if the court finds it unconstitutional to define the barrel length that determines a "rifle" and orders AFT to refund all tax payments accrued since the inception of the NFA.

ETA:  AND, expunge all records of registrations.

I know....dreaming....but if yer gonna dream....
View Quote

Just imagine how much $$$ that would be!

I've been seeing retailers selling guns and kits with braces lately as well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HEATH223:

View Quote

Yep, just got a sales flyer in my email from PSA and the pistols are again sporting braces.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:28:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#3]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What would be great would be if the court finds it unconstitutional to define the barrel length that determines a "rifle" and orders AFT to refund all tax payments accrued since the inception of the NFA.

ETA:  AND, expunge all records of registrations.

I know....dreaming....but if yer gonna dream....

THAT is profound.  I'd ask for confirmation names, but really - please don't.  But at your word,  to confirm, you are seeing a dealer  executing transfers of complete firearms sold as pistols, with a brace on it?  More than one?  That's actually pretty huge if dealers are actually starting to do that again..
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:00:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#4]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
THAT is profound.  I'd ask for confirmation names, but really - please don't.  But at your word,  to confirm, you are seeing a dealer  executing transfers of complete firearms sold as pistols, with a brace on it?  More than one?  That's actually pretty huge if dealers are actually starting to do that again..
View Quote
It's the Daily Deal. First page here: https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/ar15-guns/pistols.html
...with "Magpul BTR Pistol Stabilizing Brace."

But yeah, maybe good luck getting your local FFL to transfer it as a Handgun?
I'm sure some will.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:09:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#5]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
It's the Daily Deal. First page here: https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/ar15-guns/pistols.html
View All Quotes

Yeaa... that says "all NFA rules apply" on PSA website still when you put it in your cart.  

More to the question, they mail it to some other FFL.  who is the one who has to do the actual transfer to you and the one actually at risk.  To date, he has been instructed transfer that as a Title 1 is an NFA violation and to expect to be treated as such.  Him, not PSA.  A Federal Judge has said no, its fine.  Are the FFL's displaying enough confidence to take a youtube video or Twitter post describing a Fed Judge decision, over their written ATF instructions, to resume transfers as is in complete configuration?  

In truth, they actually can right now; I'm curious if any actually are.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If you remember when all this started PSA was QUICK to stop selling guns and kits with braces.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]
If you remember when all this started PSA was QUICK to stop selling guns and kits with braces.
View Quote

So, they're the bad guy now?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

They wanted to stay in business.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:33:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GGGBeo50] [#9]
Just came here to say, "told you so".

While its not official because the ruling hasnt been officially declared unconstitutional, I suspect in about a year it will be. I was protected the entire time by other injunctions so my pistol stayed right where it was, but I saw how it affected gun sales for FFLs nationwide and thats where it really hurt others. I suspect manufacturers will be slow to respond this year because they have already allotted their sourcing for production. So congrats to all the free tax stamp people, hopefully you dont get bullied by the ATF later. Dont forget, theres no such thing as a free lunch.

That being said, remove SBRs from the registry. A rifle is a rifle, not a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

And?  As I recall everyone was quick to remove braces from inventory and pictures.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:55:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#11]

But yeah, maybe good luck getting your local FFL to transfer it as a Handgun?
I'm sure some will.
View Quote

Mine would.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Mine would.
View Quote

Ya, I am confident that mine would as well.  That said, you can always buy the assembled lower separately and avoid the issue altogether
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1] [#13]
Originally Posted By GGGBeo50:
Just came here to say, "told you so".

While its not official because the ruling hasnt been officially declared unconstitutional, I suspect in about a year it will be. I was protected the entire time by other injunctions so my pistol stayed right where it was, but I saw how it affected gun sales for FFLs nationwide and thats where it really hurt others. I suspect manufacturers will be slow to respond this year because they have already allotted their sourcing for production. So congrats to all the free tax stamp people, hopefully you dont get bullied by the ATF later. Dont forget, theres no such thing as a free lunch.

That being said, remove SBRs from the registry. A rifle is a rifle, not a pistol.
View Quote

I submitted an AR pistol for the exempt stamp. I already had other SBRs as well as suppressors so it was really no lose for me. The only reason I even had a pistol was for ease of travel. Worst case scenario, hopefully the ruling sticks and I whip out another stripped lower and brace out of my parts bin and make myself another pistol.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Five on 5/31.

Still no movement.
View Quote

6 for me, same day, same current status.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Vehemence:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Vehemence:
Five on 5/31.

Still no movement.

I’ve submitted, certified and had a form 4 on a new suppressor approved since then.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#16]
What would the outcome be if someone purchased one of the currently advertised pistols, got it in hand, them the courts decide that no…those pistols are indeed evil killing machines and the ATF was all knowing in their just and correct ruling.
What would that outcome look like
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dunndw:
What would the outcome be if someone purchased one of the currently advertised pistols, got it in hand, them the courts decide that no…those pistols are indeed evil killing machines and the ATF was all knowing in their just and correct ruling.
View Quote

You would most likely have to take the brace off is you were so inclined.
Braces are not illegal, never have been.
Large format pistols are not illegal, never have been.
Braced pistols were technically never illegal, but a "rule" made them sorta illegal SBR's.  One remedy was to simply remove the brace.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dunndw:
View Quote

Keep voting for members of Congress who keep cutting the DOJ/ATF etc. budget until they get the message.

Takes money to infringe on Constitutional Rights.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Liability, long drawn-out expensive litigation and prison time seem to have that effect...
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Yeaa... that says "all NFA rules apply" on PSA website still when you put it in your cart.  

More to the question, they mail it to some other FFL.  who is the one who has to do the actual transfer to you and the one actually at risk.  To date, he has been instructed transfer that as a Title 1 is an NFA violation and to expect to be treated as such.  Him, not PSA.  A Federal Judge has said no, its fine.  Are the FFL's displaying enough confidence to take a youtube video or Twitter post describing a Fed Judge decision, over their written ATF instructions, to resume transfers as is in complete configuration?  

View Quote

If PSA sent an SBR out with no form 3 approval for tax exempt transfer it would likely be the same federal charge as a licensed dealer/manufacturer transferring to an individual, company or trust with no form 4 approval, an NFA violation with a potential up to 10 year fed sentence and up to $250k in fines. I guarantee they have some competent counsel at their disposal and they have received some degree of consultation focused on this matter. The idea is, right now, a federal judge has issued an injunction, that alone is their release to carry on selling braces, braces pistols, etc. If that injunction is overruled, etc. they snatch the parking brake again.

As far as more than a few, if that, licensees speaking out publicly on this matter about them carrying on with braced pistol transfers and sales I would not hold my breath for it. With FFL revocations at all time highs expect FFLs to not be very vocal about much. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and ATF doesn't have the manpower to door-to-door every FFL for official records audit to see what they are doing on a regular basis. At this point, why would anyone ask for a bullseye on their forehead? However, that doesn't mean agents, local LE and govt investigation contractors won't be soliciting braced pistol purchases to get an idea of who they might want to visit now or even later if the injunction goes away. It's risky business right now but someone has to test the waters. It will definitely be interesting to watch.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 5:36:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#21]
Originally Posted By evlblkwpnz:

If PSA sent an SBR out with no form 3 approval for tax exempt transfer it would likely be the same federal charge as a licensed dealer/manufacturer transferring to an individual, company or trust with no form 4 approval, an NFA violation with a potential up to 10 year fed sentence and up to $250k in fines. I guarantee they have some competent counsel at their disposal and they have received some degree of consultation focused on this matter. The idea is, right now, a federal judge has issued an injunction, that alone is their release to carry on selling braces, braces pistols, etc. If that injunction is overruled, etc. they snatch the parking brake again.

As far as more than a few, if that, licensees speaking out publicly on this matter about them carrying on with braced pistol transfers and sales I would not hold my breath for it. With FFL revocations at all time highs expect FFLs to not be very vocal about much. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and ATF doesn't have the manpower to door-to-door every FFL for official records audit to see what they are doing on a regular basis. At this point, why would anyone ask for a bullseye on their forehead? However, that doesn't mean agents, local LE and govt investigation contractors won't be soliciting braced pistol purchases to get an idea of who they might want to visit now or even later if the injunction goes away. It's risky business right now but someone has to test the waters. It will definitely be interesting to watch.
View All Quotes

I'll agree with that.  Let's be honest, PSA is the best thing that has ever happened to the AR15 community, and are people that I personally and professionally hold in the highest of regard.  They are also a for-profit business and are almostly certaintly the single largest revenue generator on the topic of arm-braced AR15's.  The are more vested in this topic than any other entity short of SBTactical themselves.  Nothing wrong with that - that's actually great and I tip my hat to them yet again; but it does mean that their motivations and actions may not be so representational of many others.

For them to do the research and push it (safely and legally) enough to ship and transfer the units as described, is as potentially true as it is non-representational.  And as you say, they are correct and unlikely to recieve legal harrassments from doing so.  But as all things on this topic, the top harrassment (on everyone from the craziest of angles at times), is our own.  I would be curious how many local FFL's are pleased to receieve such grey firearm configuration that published ATF regulations specifically state are NFA items (and a couple judges have said - well not this week).  My guess is very few.  

If I were in charge of PSA, I would be pushing the shit out of these right now too.  And I'd pack every shipment in unassembled form; so the recieving FFL will more likely accept it.  And if I were the recieving FFL, I'd be transfering a lot of "OTHER" lowers; which is to say, incomplete two halves;.  Or "Pistol Lowers", with the brace not attached at the time.  And then provided as a separate item.  

At their own store-fronts in-state, I'm curious what configuration PSA is actually handing them over and transfering them as.  They might be doing the good old "Pistol" and handing it over as-is; though personally I'd probably do "Pistol", and then handing over the brace separately.  This mess is far from over, and units transfer after announcment date are going to be their own particular mess - though who knows!
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 7:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jasonm4] [#22]
Not sure if it's been mentioned but an ATF agent told me today that as of last week, all submitted brace rule form 1's that are currently pending are put on hold for now.

That probably already seems obvious, but figured I'd mention it.

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jasonm4:
Not sure if it's been mentioned but an ATF agent told me today that as of last week, all submitted brace rule form 1's that are currently pending are put on hold for now.

View Quote
No surprise there.

Next hit - since our (ATF) made up law got shot down, everyone who thought they got got a free tax stamp, must now re-submit paperwork with a $200 check attached.
You have 30 seconds to comply.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I see what you did there

But in actuality, they got what they wanted all along.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Liability, long drawn-out expensive litigation and prison time seem to have that effect...
View Quote

Lawrence Demonico laughs at this...
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jasonm4:

View Quote

If so, that is interesting.  Although I would think that it would not take this long to approve all of them.

Whole thing is a gigantic shit show of their own making.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I have to agree there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:03:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#29]
Has anyone received anything in writing that attests to there being an official pause in the process?
View Quote

The court order is in writing, not sure what else anyone would need.  Possibly carry your FPC membership card when you have your braced pistol with you?
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

The court order is in writing, not sure what else anyone would need.  Possibly carry your FPC membership card when you have your braced pistol with you?
View Quote

The injunction is nation-wide, there is no longer a requirement to be a member of any group to be covered.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#32]
No.  The court order did not tell the ATF to stop processing the SBR applications.
View Quote

You're right, but they absolutely have stopped processing brace rule form 1's.

I follow the NFA sub on Reddit and on the stickied approval thread, there hasn't been any new freeBR approvals in the last couple weeks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:13:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fire4effect69] [#34]
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Lawrence Demonico laughs at this...
View Quote

I'd agree. The guy definitely has stones. I'd assume PSA has a lot more people with serious skin (<$,$$$,$$$) in the game to satisfy with their decisions. Sometimes shareholders/investors call the shots with minimizing liabilities at the forefront of their MO and they definitely have a lot to lose as diversified as they have become. It's not as fun as watching LD trigger the DOJ, for sure. Dude has reached legendary status
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

View Quote

Nah...that comes too close to this

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#37]
... But in actuality, they got what they wanted all along.
View Quote

This is over my head What did they get that they wanted all along?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Catalina:

View Quote

Names and addresses.  To add to the "directory"
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

The same names and addresses they already had from other nfa stuff?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Catalina:

Lol, they have had my name and address for decades
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

View Quote

Your choice!
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I am fairly certain they have the names and address of folks that purchased new firearms.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By nod005:
I am fairly certain they have the names and address of folks that purchased new firearms.
View Quote

Because you purchased something doesn't mean you currently possess something.  When you raise your hand you remove all doubt
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Because you purchased something doesn't mean you currently possess something.  When you raise your hand you remove all doubt
View Quote
@s4s4u

Registering a SBR does not mean you currently possess a SBR.
Unlike MGs and silencers, they can be transferred in other (Title I) configurations, with no paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#46]
@s4s4u

Registering a SBR does not mean you currently possess a SBR.
Unlike MGs and silencers, they can be transferred in other (Title I) configurations, with no paperwork.
View Quote

Which makes the whole charade even more ludicrous
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Well one thing is for certain is that most of us would like to know wth is the outcome of all of this bs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Any updated news on this bull crap?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

View Quote

Yep. My first SBR on a form one was in 2005.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Do not hear much..But they are are being sold again..So they are OK now..And I think that decision is being appealed to the SCOTUS so we wait...I am certain Garland will lose there..I am doubtful the SCOTUS will even hear the case or the ATF decides to just drop it and let it go.. Only question is, what happens on the Amnesty registered ones..
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top