View Quote

Summary please?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Summary please?
View Quote

I didn't listen to the whole thing, too long.  

Preliminary Injunction denied for FRAC in North Dakota, and will most likely be appealed.
Here is a 2 minute version (much better).
Set Back In FRAC’s ATF Pistol Brace Case

At some point I'll get around to reading the actual ruling.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

WTF?  I turned one in in Feb.  Still waiting.

ETA, I haven't kept up in a few months.  What is the current status of this mess?  Braces now ok?  Arrange a boating accident?  I'm waiting on my form 1 for a S&W M&P 15-22P.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Originally Posted By CenterMass0:
An interesting note...

Submitted my brace form on 5/1--nothing yet.

Submitted a "regular" SBR form on 7/27 and it was approved today.

WTF?  I turned one in in Feb.  Still waiting.

ETA, I haven't kept up in a few months.  What is the current status of this mess?  Braces now ok?  Arrange a boating accident?  I'm waiting on my form 1 for a S&W M&P 15-22P.

Two E Form 1 Brace amnesty individual

Done through Silencer Shop

Submitted 5/16

Approved 9/11 (interesting date)

118 days

Two submitted the same day, got notification of one approval early in the day on 9/11.

Couldn’t read the signature, maybe Blake something?

Attachment Attached File

The second one was approved later that day but by a different examiner.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By panthermark:

I didn't listen to the whole thing, too long.  

Preliminary Injunction denied for FRAC in North Dakota, and will most likely be appealed.
Here is a 2 minute version (much better).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEyB86_BtKk

At some point I'll get around to reading the actual ruling.
View Quote

A federal injunction against the unconstitutional rule (which redefines a brace as a stock, making a pistol an SBR) is all well and good.  Except that it doesn't protect you from being prosecuted for shouldering a braced pistol.

My former braced pistol is now an SBR , and I can put any stock I want on it, and shoulder it any time I want without being afraid of being fined and sent to prison because some overzealous prosecutor convinces a jury that I'm a vicious criminal.

To me that makes it worth the intrusion (insofar as any easing of the pain the Constitutional violation the NFA is can ease that pain.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

Two E Form 1 Brace amnesty individual

Done through Silencer Shop

Submitted 5/16

Approved 9/11 (interesting date)

118 days

Two submitted the same day, got notification of one approval early in the day on 9/11.

Couldn’t read the signature, maybe Blake something?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/Screenshot_2023-09-11_091816_jpg-2949929.JPG

The second one was approved later that day but by a different examiner.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/692CE8EB-7A73-48AA-8807-CBA63E5270B4_jpe-2950393.JPG
View Quote

118 days? Good grief, the one I did earlier this year took a month.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]
2 on 5/17 with eft prints…still waiting
Did one back in February it took 2 months.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Did mine on 4/5 and still crickets…
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Submitted on 02-19
Approved 9-26
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Good day for the good guys, in the 5th at least.  

A bit of an attack on the NFA here...real nice.  I've only been able to listen to a little bit of it so far.

HUGE NEWS!! Judge Destroys ATF In PISTOL BRACE Case!

ATF's Pistol Brace Ban Struck Down Again - What's Next? ????
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Good day for the good guys, in the 5th at least.  

A bit of an attack on the NFA here...real nice.  I've only been able to listen to a little bit of it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ5tENbpsHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4QFgS6zJL4
View Quote

Good to see this.  My time is severely limited right now but I will try to watch.  If you do get to the end please post a quick Cliffnotes version
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Good to see this.  My time is severely limited right now but I will try to watch.  If you do get to the end please post a quick Cliffnotes version
View All Quotes

Here is a good summary of the story:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/fifth-circuit-issues-preliminary-injunction-blocking-brace-ban-enforcement-against-plaintiffs-in-mock-v-garland/

For those of you keeping score at home, back in May, a three-judge panel of the Northern District of Texas issued an emergency injunction blocking the ATF from enforcing its new rule effectively banning pistol stabilizing braces. The court concluded that not only were the plaintiffs in Mock v. Garland likely to win the case on the merits, but the rule the ATF issued bore no resemblance to the one it proposed and was hopelessly vague.

As was later clarified, the ruling applied only to the named plaintiffs in the case, including Maxim Defense, its customers, and the Firearms Policy Coalition and its members. But that injunction was temporary, good only until an appeal could be heard.

A number of other gun rights orgs got similar injunctive relief as well. The full District Court, however, took another view of Mock and denied a preliminary injunction, ruling the plaintiffs were not, in fact, likely to prevail.

Refusing to take that as an answer, the Firearms Policy Coalition appealed to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. A Fifth Circuit three-judge panel agreed that the plaintiffs are likely to win when the case is fully heard and sent it back down to the District Court. Late last night, the District Court issued a full preliminary injunction.

As Judge Reed O’Conor wrote in his order . . .

The Court finds that Mock, Lewis, and other individual FPC members are threatened with irreparable injuries in the absence of an injunction. The threats to individual FPC members are twofold: (i) sustaining permanent and nonrecoverable costs from their compliance with an unlawfully issued regulation; and (ii) suffering impairment of their fundamental right to keep and bear lawful arms in self-defense. The Court finds that such threats of irreparable harm posed by enforcement of the Final Rule are credible, imminent, and intertwined with one another. …

The ATF’s own regulatory analysis concludes that the Final Rule has effectively reclassified 99% of all pistols with stabilizing braces to NFA rifles. Through seminal Final Rule adjudications, the ATF has already reclassified a whole host of specific weapons platforms and commercially available braced firearms to NFA rifles. Upon review of this record in conjunction with Plaintiffs’ declarations, there is no doubt that the Final Rule will subject both FPC members to criminal liability for currently possessing each of their braced pistols. The moment the Fifth Circuit’s injunction dissolves, Mock and Lewis will become felons because their braced pistols have become unregistered SBRs under the Final Rule’s reinterpretation of the NFA

Basically, this was the "official" decision after the Appeals Court kicked it back down and said....Good Guys will win, write it up as you see fit.  
So it applies to the named defendants only (including FPC members).

But the key is that while it didn't make a final decision on the 2A point, it did push the issue hard.  So it goes beyond just the APA violation, and it gets into braces being covered under the 2nd because they are clearly in common use for lawful purposes.   He also mentions "braces or stocks" in one of the statements.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Here is a good summary of the story:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/fifth-circuit-issues-preliminary-injunction-blocking-brace-ban-enforcement-against-plaintiffs-in-mock-v-garland/

Basically, this was the "official" decision after the Appeals Court kicked it back down and said....Good Guys will win, write it up as you see fit.  
So it applies to the named defendants only (including FPC members).

But the key is that while it didn't make a final decision on the 2A point, it did push the issue hard.  So it goes beyond just the APA violation, and it gets into braces being covered under the 2nd because they are clearly in common use for lawful purposes.   He also mentions "braces or stocks" in one of the statements.
View Quote

TY, it is as I had thought it should be.  Looks promising at the least
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Submitted 2 around 2/11/2023. One was approved around 7/15 final one approved  9/22 . Did eform for both on the same day and send fingerprint cards in together about 5 days later.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
FPC members now part of the injunction…again.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#17]
FPC members now part of the injunction…again.
View Quote

Worth the price of admission ;) The language was 'all' and I didn't pick up any specifics on when one had to be a member. Small wins are wins...
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I submitted two Form 1's on 5/8/2023.  The first came back as approved today (10/10/2023). I'm ready for the second one to follow soon.

Now I can have an adjustable stock on my 7.5" upper, and hopefully soon will have one on my 14.5" upper.

Moving them to a trust soon.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#19]
With all the court rulings of late.............are the braces legal again?
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By catcatcher1:
View Quote

If you can find an FFL willing to transfer a complete firearm with one, let us know.  To date, none of the guys who do this for a living are acting like they think so.   Technically, you can probably get away with it as an individual living in the 5th circuit.  Some people think maybe even nation wide.  I would keep hardcopies of any court rulings (O'Connel) you think override the official .gov published regulations on the topic.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks brother.............
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:45:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fire4effect69] [#22]
View Quote

If you're in Florida, I would be extra careful. I've touched on this elsewhere but there seems to be a government hard-on for this in Florida and there appears to be some nexus to Project Safe Neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjju52jnoKCAxWoHEQIHRGKA08QFnoECA8QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsaf.org%2Ffbi-atf-arrest-of-florida-man-for-unregistered-short-barrel-rifle-showcases-absurdity-of-nfa%2F&usg=AOvVaw3ausqGQrd7P6gSyvp9HzkG&opi=89978449
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

If you belong to one of the groups that has received an injunction, you are legal in the use of a brace until there is a final "decision" by the upper court.  I belong to 3 of such groups so AFT can pound sand for now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#24]
Originally Posted By fire4effect69:

If you're in Florida, I would be extra careful. I've touched on this elsewhere but there seems to be a government hard-on for this in Florida and there appears to be some nexus to Project Safe Neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjju52jnoKCAxWoHEQIHRGKA08QFnoECA8QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsaf.org%2Ffbi-atf-arrest-of-florida-man-for-unregistered-short-barrel-rifle-showcases-absurdity-of-nfa%2F&usg=AOvVaw3ausqGQrd7P6gSyvp9HzkG&opi=89978449
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fire4effect69:

Interesting case.  Is there an ongoing thread about it?  

To summary.  Otherwise decent guy, basically was a dumbass and got railroaded for it.  He went to the trouble of legal registered suppressors, and then put an overtly illegal full-stock on his Scorpion pistol (not an armbrace), and showed it off.  

And got railroaded for it, in a discomforting overzeal for someone who isn't a threat to society or with a pattern of problems.  This should have been ignored, tossed, or at least minimal sentenced.  I once inquired about how often a Fed case is a railroad job, like this.  The answer I got back was somewhere around 1% - not often, not unheard of.

So why did he get railroaded?  Filling in blanks from I do know on how this works (and this is TOTAL out-of-my-ass crystal ball) - If I had to guess, the ICE criminal /  informant,  was probably related to trying to infiltrate a drug ring - FBI actually spends a good bit of time focusing on that.  (and TBH, they actually aren't that bad at it).   I'd give odds, the informant-snake was also an attractive female, who was very much trapped in a desperate situation herself, panic'd, and drowning-man going to do whatever it takes.  Scorpion-Guy did some pretty dumb OPSEC by knowingly blatantly violating NFA (he knew the game); and then inviting random person to his house to run those direct NFA violations.  Long haired creatures with an attractive smile, busts down dude's brains faster than any drug.   Anyway, my guess is informant's handlers really weren't even focused on this, but when it fell into their lap from dude texting her;  it's an easy stats pad conviction, and justification of how savvy you were at picking your informant agent you struck a deal with, because tadaa, it resulted in a conviction.  Look how strategically wise I am - promote me.  (beats the shit out of the alternative of: "Special Agent E'!?  WTF?  We wondered if you were a good hire, and here you are making informant deals with people we've busted; letting them go, wasting out time, and coming up with F'ing nothing!  Keep this shit up and we're sending over to Secret Service Presidential Dog Management ").  She needed her bust, with her informant.  And she got one.  and got her conviction and justification of "doing a good job", fucking over some guy who's real crime mostly was he was a naive dumbass.   Similar effect to when they raid the wrong house, they are going to toss the shit out of that house to for-love-of-God-find-SOMETHING.  My guess, even her fellow agents know she railroaded the dude for her check-box; but I doubt anyone lost much sleep over it.

Why did the Prosecutor take the case?  Because it was an easy win for him too.  The evidence was so complete, this was a Tuesday morning slam dunk.  If they have a pile of evidence making your case a clear and easy conviction, and your best card is "but I'm a good dude"; this isn't going to go well.

Also, FWIW, a bench judge doesn't have near the autonomy you might think.  I guarantee you that judge knew the dude was getting railroaded, and sometimes the judge will even pull a prosecutor aside and give him a "WTF man?".  Rare, but sometimes.  But the law on the books is the law, and so long as the upper courts are upholding it his hands are tied more than you might think.  

That's probably why he got railroaded.  He still got railroaded though.  This law needs to go away, and here's hoping O'Connel's start on that topic carries through.  

None of this is really related to arm-braces; which weren't involved (and the topic of this thread).  But I will say, keep this as a reminder of what internet bravado really can mean for real people.  Real people like you.  A whole lot of people have said a whole lot of tuff-guy stuff from their keyboards on the SBR topic, and encouraged a lot of other people to do stuff in a manner I don't really think was such a good service to the best interests of their fellow AR15.com team members.. or that's my personal opinion.  Fortunately, to date, I'm not aware of anyone railroaded on the armbrace topic.. yet.  Even better, I don't actually expect to see that any time soon.   the ones who manufacture/sell post Feb, '23, are the ones I'd advise to tread with great care right now (as in, probably best to just not do that right now).
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:12:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fire4effect69] [#25]

To summary.  Otherwise decent guy, basically was a dumbass and got railroaded for it.  He went to the trouble of legal registered suppressors, and then put an overtly illegal full-stock on his Scorpion pistol (not an armbrace), and showed it off.  

http://www.thegunmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Lee-Williams-7-22-Mejia-montage.png

And got railroaded for it, in a discomforting overzeal for someone who isn't a threat to society or with a pattern of problems.  This should have been ignored, tossed, or at least minimal sentenced.  I once inquired about how often a Fed case is a railroad job, like this.  The answer I got back was somewhere around 1% - not often, not unheard of.

So why did he get railroaded?  Filling in blanks from I do know on how this works (and this is TOTAL out-of-my-ass crystal ball) - If I had to guess, the ICE criminal /  informant,  was probably related to trying to infiltrate a drug ring - FBI actually spends a good bit of time focusing on that.  (and TBH, they actually aren't that bad at it).   I'd give odds, the informant-snake was also an attractive female, who was very much trapped in a desperate situation herself, panic'd, and drowning-man going to do whatever it takes.  Scorpion-Guy did some pretty dumb OPSEC by knowingly blatantly violating NFA (he knew the game); and then inviting random person to his house to run those direct NFA violations.  Long haired creatures with an attractive smile, busts down dude's brains faster than any drug.   Anyway, my guess is informant's handlers really weren't even focused on this, but when it fell into their lap from dude texting her;  it's an easy stats pad conviction, and justification of how savvy you were at picking your informant agent you struck a deal with, because tadaa, it resulted in a conviction.  Look how strategically wise I am - promote me.  (beats the shit out of the alternative of: "Special Agent E'!?  WTF?  We wondered if you were a good hire, and here you are making informant deals with people we've busted; letting them go, wasting out time, and coming up with F'ing nothing!  Keep this shit up and we're sending over to Secret Service Presidential Dog Management ").  She needed her bust, with her informant.  And she got one.  and got her conviction and justification of "doing a good job", fucking over some guy who's real crime mostly was he was a naive dumbass.   Similar effect to when they raid the wrong house, they are going to toss the shit out of that house to for-love-of-God-find-SOMETHING.  My guess, even her fellow agents know she railroaded the dude for her check-box; but I doubt anyone lost much sleep over it.

Why did the Prosecutor take the case?  Because it was an easy win for him too.  The evidence was so complete, this was a Tuesday morning slam dunk.  If they have a pile of evidence making your case a clear and easy conviction, and your best card is "but I'm a good dude"; this isn't going to go well.

Also, FWIW, a bench judge doesn't have near the autonomy you might think.  I guarantee you that judge knew the dude was getting railroaded, and sometimes the judge will even pull a prosecutor aside and give him a "WTF man?".  Rare, but sometimes.  But the law on the books is the law, and so long as the upper courts are upholding it his hands are tied more than you might think.  

That's probably why he got railroaded.  He still got railroaded though.  This law needs to go away, and here's hoping O'Connel's start on that topic carries through.  

None of this is really related to arm-braces; which weren't involved (and the topic of this thread).  But I will say, keep this as a reminder of what internet bravado really can mean for real people.  Real people like you.  A whole lot of people have said a whole lot of tuff-guy stuff from their keyboards on the SBR topic, and encouraged a lot of other people to do stuff in a manner I don't really think was such a good service to the best interests of their fellow AR15.com team members.. or that's my personal opinion.  Fortunately, to date, I'm not aware of anyone railroaded on the armbrace topic.. yet.  Even better, I don't actually expect to see that any time soon.   the ones who manufacture/sell post Feb, '23, are the ones I'd advise to tread with great care right now (as in, probably best to just not do that right now).
View Quote

I pretty much came to the same general conclusion as you did. Yes, it was a stock but all it takes is an overzealous agent/prosecutor to decide your armbrace is a stock and proceed accordingly. Court cases/decisions be damned. They have unlimited taxpayer money to make your life miserable if they want with no repercussions. As some in the LE community have stated you may beat the rap but you can't beat the ride. May be totally unrelated but I believe there was an MS-13 gang member in another high-profile case who shared the same last name as Mr. Mejia. My biggest concern is this is exactly the kind of charge that could be used to coerce someone to become an informant etc. in exchange for making a charge go away. Of course, we've all seen that movie before. Think "Ruby Ridge"

Missed the question about another thread about this case. Yes but it's archived I think and I can't find it now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Piratepast40] [#26]
I'm still confused about if the injunction granted by the fifth circuit is valid for the whole country or just the fifth, specifically the FPC membership people.  Reading further, I've found two explanations for circuit court and where their decisions apply.  Here's one.  The arguments are if the decision has Binding authority or if has Pursuasive authority.  Here's another paper that discusses Nationwide Injunctions.  

Either the papers don't fully explain it, or my mind can't seem to grasp the answer to the question.  Can someone explain it to me in 8th grader language that I can present to others.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#27]
According to the information I received when the original injunction was granted, all FPC members were covered.  I will see if I can find the email, but it was a while back.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#28]
According to the information I received when the original injunction was granted, all FPC members were covered.  I will see if I can find the email, but it was a while back.
View Quote

I thought it was nationwide for FPC members as well, but someone at the club brought up the issue of jurisdiction of a circuit court.  Perhaps the legal wording is in the courts decision?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Here is mine from many months ago.

xxxxxx,

We're sending you this email in light of today's opinion regarding who is covered by the pistol brace injunction in FPC's case.
If you are receiving this email, you are an active member per our records and covered by the injunction.

Should you have any questions, please contact our customer support team at [email protected].

Also, please remember to encourage your friends and family to join as well at JoinFPC.org to be covered under the injunction.

Stay Free,

Firearms Policy Coalition

I'm in Illinois, so clearly not in the 5th.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:17:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carbineone1964] [#30]

http://www.thegunmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Lee-Williams-7-22-Mejia-montage.png

View Quote

Yes all I can say about the internet Bravados is this.. The Brave internet talkers would crying like little baby's for their mamma once they got to Leavenworth and met Bubba and his gang in the shower for a good time.. Fine to talk big about this stuff, and put those down that do not want to be Bubbas pet... But remember the consequence's, right or wrong are real.. The Law is still on their side.. I would much rather risk having have a freebie SBR than being Bubbas little pet..Maybe you would not.. To me the choice between the two is really not that hard of a decision to make.  You can hide your Brace I guess.. Oh what Brave fun that is..
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By carbineone1964:

Yes all I can say about the internet Bravados is this.. The Brave internet talkers would crying like little baby's for their mamma once they got to Leavenworth and met Bubba and his gang in the shower for a good time.. Fine to talk big about this stuff, and put those down that do not want to be Bubbas pet... But remember the consequence's, right or wrong are real.. The Law is still on their side.. I would much rather risk having have a freebie SBR than being Bubbas little pet..Maybe you would not.. To me the choice between the two is really not that hard of a decision to make.  You can hide your Brace I guess.. Oh what Brave fun that is..
View Quote

All that sounds reasonable and that you have really thought this through.  Since you have researched this so thoroughly I would like to draw on your expertise on this matter if you don’t mind:

Why does one have to hide their brace?  Are braces now contraband/subject to confiscation if not registered?  Are their only two options, either register = safe, or don’t register be a criminal?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:58:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#32]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

All that sounds reasonable and that you have really thought this through.  Since you have researched this so thoroughly I would like to draw on your expertise on this matter if you don’t mind:

Why does one have to hide their brace?  Are braces now contraband/subject to confiscation if not registered?  Are their only two options, either register = safe, or don’t register be a criminal?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By carbineone1964:

An armbrace on a <16" barreled firearm has now been redefined by the ATF as a configuration of a shoulder fired weapon, and subject to SBR regulations.  If you possess a firearm so configured, and are discovered, it will be viewed as an NFA violation and they have publicly and officially declared their intent to enforce it as such.  

Of the great many suits filed; one district judge in Texas says he doesn't agree.  And has given a temporary reprieve from enforcement for some people with some brands of units.  That other judges may or may not agree with.

ATF has not recanted or updated their declaration of intent to enforce.   To date, there has been no enforcement; though the industry as a whole has done a complete Cease and Desist on the whole topic.  After that judge's announcement, I have yet to find a manufacturer or FFL who trusts his decision to have enough weight to resume manufacture and sale.  We shall see.

To your question - for now, my expectation is few people with pre-existing units are likely for much harassment on the topic ... right now that is.  Unless you make yourself otherwise interesting.  If you have one and chose to run it, I doubt ATF will come find you.... for now.

Nobody here made this rule or cheered it on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Pretty good summation ^^^

As far as the brace, even AFT indicates in their directive that it is okay to put a brace on a rifle with a 16" or longer barrel so I do not see how they can enforce posession of a brace as a crime.  Unless you get called out on a public range or shoot somebody with your braced "pistol" there is literally no likelyhood of being prosecuted.  Well, unless you unwittingly invite an AFT agent to shoot privately with you.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#34]

An armbrace on a <16" barreled firearm has now been redefined by the ATF as a configuration of a shoulder fired weapon, and subject to SBR regulations.  If you possess a firearm so configured, and are discovered, it will be viewed as an NFA violation and they have publicaly and officially declaired their intent to enforce it as such.  

Of the great many suits filed; one district judge in Texas says he doesn't agree.  And has given a temporary reprieve from enforcement for some people with some brands of units.  That other judges may or may not agree with.

ATF has not recanted or updated their decaration of intent to enforce.  

To date, there has been no enforcement; though the industry as a whole has done a complete Cease and Desist on the whole topic.  After that judge's announcment, I have yet to find a manufacturer or FFL who trusts his decision to have enough weight to resume manufacture and sale.  We shall see.

To your question - for now, my expectation is few people with pre-existing units are likely for much harrassment on the topic ... right now that is.  Unless you make yourself otherwise interesting.  If you have one and chose to run it, I doubt ATF will come find you.... for now.

Nobody here made this rule or cheered it on.
View Quote

Thank you for the reply.  Very useful information.  But trying to clarify for myself further, it is my understanding that the weapon is the issue and the brace is merely a stock. As such the mere possession of a brace is the same as possessing any other extra gun stock.  Am I on the right track or is the brace itself now a prohibited item?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Pretty good summation ^^^

As far as the brace, even AFT indicates in their directive that it is okay to put a brace on a rifle with a 16" or longer barrel so I do not see how they can enforce posession of a brace as a crime.  Unless you get called out on a public range or shoot somebody with your braced "pistol" there is literally no likelyhood of being prosecuted.  Well, unless you unwittingly invite an AFT agent to shoot privately with you.....
View Quote

Thanks!  I replied with that very question before I read your text.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#36]
But trying to clarify for myself further, it is my understanding that the weapon is the issue and the brace is merely a stock. As such the mere possession of a brace is the same as possessing any other extra gun stock.  Am I on the right track or is the brace itself now a prohibited item?
View Quote
You're absolutely right.
Brace = stock.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#37]
So is the FPC our last hope for non NFA pistol ar15s? I'm sure theyre getting a lot of new members lately!
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ironsonly:
So is the FPC our last hope for non NFA pistol ar15s? I'm sure theyre getting a lot of new members lately!
View Quote

You can have all the pistols you want as long as they don’t have a brace.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#39]
But let's be honest here, how many of us would have purchased that 10.5" ar if all you could run was a dickbutt nub buffer tube on the back lol
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#40]
But let's be honest here, how many of us would have purchased that 10.5" ar if all you could run was a dickbutt nub buffer tube on the back lol
View Quote

But, honestly, you can put whatever you want on that buffer tube in the comfort of your own surroundings.  If the S h's the F, it won't matter.  Pack what you want.

If you are stuck shooting at public ranges with FUDDy RSO's, pay the tax to play the game
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I would have, but I would not own as many.  
I would also have been quicker to run a buffer-less version.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Have not listened to it yet.  Hopefully it is not click-bait (he usually isn't).
BREAKING PISTOL BRACE INJUNCTION NATIONWIDE! This is NOT a drill!! Britto v. ATF
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 10:44:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#44]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

Then why post it?
View Quote

Ya, I know.  But, we are starved for a resolution.  

I am so weary of guntubers.  So many were so far in left field on the 4999 directives it was rediculous

I'd think FPC would be on top of something like this
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

Then why post it?
View Quote

Because I was listening to his OTHER video on what is happening in the 7th (the Illinois BS we are dealing with).  I have now listened to it, and I'm sure by now you are seeing the threads in GD.

Nationwide injunction granted.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:33:56 AM EDT
[#46]
https://thereload.com/federal-judge-blocks-nationwide-enforcement-of-pistol-brace-ban

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By EDL:
https://thereload.com/federal-judge-blocks-nationwide-enforcement-of-pistol-brace-ban

View Quote

This is positive news.

I am sure we all hope the atf loses this case in the end, right?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Dferg10:

This is positive news.

I am sure we all hope the atf loses this case in the end, right?
View Quote

Some have indicated that they may lose the entire NFA, in relation to SBR definitions and the tax.  Now that would be positive news.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Some have indicated that they may lose the entire NFA, in relation to SBR definitions and the tax.  Now that would be positive news.
View Quote
Yeah that'd be great!
I'd really love my post samples to become "normal" guns.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:42:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#50]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Yeah that'd be great!
I'd really love my post samples to become "normal" guns.
View Quote

What would be great would be if the court finds it unconstitutional to define the barrel length that determines a "rifle" and orders AFT to refund all tax payments accrued since the inception of the NFA.

ETA:  AND, expunge all records of registrations.

I know....dreaming....but if yer gonna dream....
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top