User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 25
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 3:44:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By motovita:

That'll come in handy when they pass the assault weapons ban, they'll know right where to find em.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By motovita:
Originally Posted By cms81586:

I don’t have any braces, but I’m sure as shit gonna SBR everything I’ve been waiting to SBR if the amnesty period is a thing.

That'll come in handy when they pass the assault weapons ban, they'll know right where to find em.

Unless you purchased that brace cash and carry, that list is just an email or in person visit away from retailers who sold those braces.

ATF shows up asking for a customer list, a large portion of retailers are gonna hand it over.  It’s happened numerous times over the past few years with a number of different items.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Let’s not forget that some people are legally owning these today but now cannot comply with this because they may live in a state or municipality that does not allow NFA items and now must turn in or destroy their property.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

Unless you purchased that brace cash and carry, that list is just an email or in person visit away from retailers who sold those braces.

ATF shows up asking for a customer list, a large portion of retailers are gonna hand it over.  It’s happened numerous times over the past few years with a number of different items.
View Quote

Just because you bought it, doesn't mean you have it.  Once you register an SBR you are required to keep gov't apprised of your, and the gun, whereabouts thereafter.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dubagel:
Let’s not forget that some people are legally owning these today but now cannot comply with this because they may live in a state or municipality that does not allow NFA items and now must turn in or destroy their property.
View Quote

Many here forget or do not realize there are some that live in states with even more draconian laws than others.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 5:21:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#5]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Just because you bought it, doesn't mean you have it.  Once you register an SBR you are required to keep gov't apprised of your, and the gun, whereabouts thereafter.
View All Quotes

If they’re to the point of going after people who attempted to legally register a gun after the ATF said “do it this way and you’ll be in the clear,” they’re not going to give a flying fuck if they show up at the door and you say “I don’t have it any more.”  They’re going to fuck you just the same as the dude who submitted a F1.

As to your second part, yes, if you travel out of state with it.  That’s the only time you’re required to notify anyone of anything.

Now, I’m not saying anyone should F1 their braced pistol.  I already have SBRs and the whole reason I own pistols is so I can travel without all the hassle, so I can see both sides of the argument.  My guess is this new “rule” will be stopped by the courts in fairly short order, at least until the case makes its way to a conclusion.

Anyways, the point I’m making is that if you’ve purchased a brace from any source that is traceable, not submitting a F1 isn’t going to keep you off the radar so to speak.  If we’re to the point of the federal government outright targeting lawful owners of NFA items, you’re going to be on that list right beside them after your local firearms retailer submits a list of whoever has purchased a brace over the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If they’re to the point of going after people who attempted to legally register a gun after the ATF said “do it this way and you’ll be in the clear,” they’re not going to give a flying fuck if they show up at the door and you say “I don’t have it any more.”  They’re going to fuck you just the same as the dude who submitted a F1.
View Quote

What is your point?  They can't "fuck you" because you bought something that was perfectly legal to own 5 years ago.  They can't enter your house on a whim.  You are really reaching.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

You can return your SBR to a Title 1 configuration with no requirement to notify the ATF. It could then be sold as a normal firearm.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

You can return your SBR to a Title 1 configuration with no requirement to notify the ATF. It could then be sold as a normal firearm.
View Quote

Assuming you do this.  But, you still have a short barreled upper in your posession?  Better hide your dog......

Not sure what the reference to selling anything is about.  It wouldn't seem prudent considering what you have given up by registering it in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Assuming you do this.  But, you still have a short barreled upper in your posession?  Better hide your dog......

Not sure what the reference to selling anything is about.  It wouldn't seem prudent considering what you have given up by registering it in the first place.
View All Quotes

I’m not planning anything. Just correcting a statement.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]
the tin foil is getting nice and tight....
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm just going to have an extension pinned and welded on my pistols then put a regular stock on. They can kiss my a** with there registration.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]
mine are both 9mm.........
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By belchfire:
Fuck the ATF and there made up shit. How many years has it been legally sold and boom change their mind.
Unconstitutional,  disregard their B/S
View Quote

Rulings are not laws and I will never comply to the rules set forth by persons who are not law makers and have no Constitutional authority over my rights. They made me a felon as they did all of you like the Gestapo, the KGB and the Death Squads of Pol Pot! Fuck them! Fuck them ALL!
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I made it through 29 pages of the GD thread, and I'm still confused on the consensus of both bare buffer tube/receiver extension pistols and 'firearms' (pistol with >/=26" OAL and attached VFG).

Bare buffer tube/receiver extension:
MAY BE CONSIDERED legal if necessary for function. Unless they decide it's not.

Firearms:
Still legal, except they are not because all the criteria for what constitues a pistols are now subjective, flat out missing, and contradictory.

Am I about right so far?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#16]
When is the ruling active? I bought a receiver  yesterday to build it as a pistol….then free tax stamp to SBR. Did I miss it, too late?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
I cannot discern their stance on the “firearm” or “other” concept.
View Quote

I cannot either and (so far) don't believe they addressed them specifically, but if a bare buffer tube/receiver extension can now be considered a stock, as it could have too much surface area and therefore could be shoulderable for pistols...

At this point it still seems an exercise in futility for non lawyers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

That’s my problem; I cannot own SBR’s where I live. My NFA items on my trust I kept with my trust administrator in a free state. During the discussion period I commented to ATF that this was an issue for me; obviously they didn’t care
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Can someone creating figure out how I can get a free stamp for my x95. What if I duct tape as brace to it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By pc-ops:
dont use a brace on your ar pistol. i remember the olden days when we did it this way on here.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By First-World-Problems:

That’s true, but as far as value, that’s a much bigger gamble than full auto. Short barrel rifles would be considered by some as a novelty. No where near as useful or desirable as full auto machine guns.

And the fact that they would have to completely close off the sale and registration of sbr’s. that’s highly unlikely given the fact that it’s basically just a neutered rifle in the 5.56 round.
View Quote

It allows me to keep an SBR period.....all you have to do is put a longer barrel on it and remove it from the registry........If one takes advantage of the tax free amnesty period.......its no financial loss and its basically win-win.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:02:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#23]

I’m not planning anything. Just correcting a statement.
View Quote

Not so sure of correctness, as long as you still posess a short barreled upper.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I am curious why retailers like PSA still have inventory and today's Daily Deal with braced pistols?

I would have thought many would have dropped braces like a bad habit this weekend.

I wonder what they know.

Hoping they had a strong response planned to counter this - they knew it was coming for some time now.  Hoping there was a plan!
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
I am curious why retailers like PSA still have inventory and today's Daily Deal with braced pistols?

I would have thought many would have dropped braces like a bad habit this weekend.

I wonder what they know.

Hoping they had a strong response planned to counter this - they knew it was coming for some time now.  Hoping there was a plan!
View Quote

FFLs have 60 days of publication of rule. This week it should be “published”.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#26]

I wonder what they know.

View Quote

Just because they publish their directive, doesn't mean the battle is over.  There are lawyers, courts and congress that will have a say.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Congress hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha……
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#28]
My other thought is once a rifle always a rifle. So once you do make it an SBR even if it gets struck down in court. You wanting to remove it from the register back to a title 1 pistol will probably be a no no as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#29]
My other thought is once a rifle always a rifle. So once you do make it an SBR even if it gets struck down in court. You wanting to remove it from the register back to a title 1 pistol will probably be a no no as well.
View Quote

Actually no - only if initially built as a rifle it is always, but not if pistol first - you can then convert back and forth if pistol
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Actually no - only if initially built as a rifle it is always, but not if pistol first - you can then convert back and forth if pistol
View All Quotes

This week...

They keep changing their minds about things.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#31]
So what happens when you get your free stamp and then in 3yr the ATF gets struck down?  They can't take back the free stamps.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By catcatcher1:

who cares...........its still will be legally mine
View All Quotes

And they KNOW WHERE EVERY ONE OF THEM IS

You don't get it yet????

who cares...........its still will be legally mine

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Not so sure of correctness, as long as you still posess a short barreled upper.
View Quote

The point that I was making was in regard to this statement made earlier "Once you register an SBR you are required to keep gov't apprised of your, and the gun, whereabouts thereafter" which is not true.

You can return the gun to title 1 configuration and do what ever you want after that and there is no requirement to keep the government apprised of anything.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone sell anything, just noting that it could be done without having tell the ATF. And of course it goes without saying that any left over parts need to be dealt with correctly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Ost
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#35]

I was sent here to ask this.

A good Marine friend of mine is missing an arm and a leg, and is wondering what is going to happen for him with pistol braces.

He currently has an AR with KAK brace, as seen above. He was planning on changing to a different brace that better supports his one firing arm, and was looking at the Tailhook.

What is he to do? He'd like to be able to continue using it as a pistol, and he legitimately only has one arm.

For legal purposes, he lives in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By First-World-Problems:

That’s true, but as far as value, that’s a much bigger gamble than full auto. Short barrel rifles would be considered by some as a novelty. No where near as useful or desirable as full auto machine guns.

And the fact that they would have to completely close off the sale and registration of sbr’s. that’s highly unlikely given the fact that it’s basically just a neutered rifle in the 5.56 round.
View Quote

in 1968 who knew the Feds were going to close off the sale of machine guns in 1986?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:

Rulings are not laws and I will never comply to the rules set forth by persons who are not law makers and have no Constitutional authority over my rights. They made me a felon as they did all of you like the Gestapo, the KGB and the Death Squads of Pol Pot! Fuck them! Fuck them ALL!
View Quote

Rulings carry the full effect of law........curious? are you a lawyer?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#38]

I wonder what they know.

View Quote

Nothing has changed at the moment............until the rule gets posted .........its business as usual..........
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

https://i.imgur.com/ehuZCPd.jpg
View Quote

FYI, the Feds did a machine gun amnesty in 1968.........no questions asked..........they never seized them and they bring big money......as we speak.......dont come at me with your BS
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
So what happens when you get your free stamp and then in 3yr the ATF gets struck down?  They can't take back the free stamps.
View Quote

Why would they want to do a silly thing like that?

Congress and President Michael Obama will just declare your semiautomatic weapon to be contraband.

And they have your name, address, serial number, and a photograph of the gun.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:
https://i.ibb.co/sgKBBdV/received-751372426412910.jpg

I was sent here to ask this.

A good Marine friend of mine is missing an arm and a leg, and is wondering what is going to happen for him with pistol braces.

He currently has an AR with KAK brace, as seen above. He was planning on changing to a different brace that better supports his one firing arm, and was looking at the Tailhook.

What is he to do? He'd like to be able to continue using it as a pistol, and he legitimately only has one arm.

For legal purposes, he lives in Florida.

Additionally, I have heard that maybe the Tailhook is excluded? Or is that false?
View Quote

As I understand it he really only has one option to remain legal and keep using the brace. Register it as an SBR and leave the brace on it.

I don't thing any braces are excluded at this point.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#43]

FYI, the Feds did a machine gun amnesty in 1968.........no questions asked..........they never seized them and they bring big money......as we speak.......dont come at me with your BS
View Quote

I am truly amazed at your level of trust in the government.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

He can only see the dollar signs, apparently. Tough luck everyone who is priced out of the market today. You should have been around in 68 so you could get in on this no questions asked cash cow.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#45]
First of all, a brace is not a firearm. IDK how the court allows the atf to do this dumb shit. this doesn't make any fucking sense
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Under this amnesty period can you submit multiple E Form 1's with a single set of prints or do you need to send a set for every cover sheet?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Im going to weld a double edged dagger to the end of my buffer tube. maybe even a ballistic knife lol
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#48]
"we're not registering crap"

-the wife
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Just thinking out loud, but why is the ATF suggesting destruction or turn-in for any braces?

Made sense in the case of bumpstocks, they said the stock itself is a MG, therefore you can’t legally possess one.

In this case, though, they’re simply saying “braces are not really braces, they’re buttstocks.”  If that’s the case, then your pistol stabilizing brace is no different from a Magpul CTR.  Why would you destroy a CTR?

Now, I understand the vast majority of braces are not as good as a traditional buttstock, but that’s really beside the point.  Just find it odd they didn’t list “put a 16”+ barrel on it” as a suitable course of action.

As an aside, and what really got me thinking about this is while comparing my two MCX platforms (one an SBR, one a pistol), I actually find the Tailhook Mod-1C setup on my pistol as more comfortable for the occasional shouldering (because I really installed it for braced, one handed firing) than the PMM Skeleton stock on the SBR.  

Regardless of which way I go with my pistols, I may switch the brace setup over to the already registered SBR to cause a few head explosions.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#50]
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top