Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2017 4:39:50 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone had done a 12ish inch barreled ar10 pistol.

Seems like with all the pistol braces, adjustable gas blocks, and stripped receivers out there a 12.5" barrelled AR10 pistol would be more popular.

I was thinking a dedicated suppressed pistol setup would be handy for hunting.

What are the drawbacks? How much velocity would you lose going to a short barrel suppressed over a 16" unsuppressed?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It can certainly be done, and velocity will suffer of course.

Since you mentioned suppressed, you're biggest hurdle will probably be making sure your chosen suppressor is rated for .308 out of such a short barrel, not all of them are.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It can certainly be done, and velocity will suffer of course.

Since you mentioned suppressed, you're biggest hurdle will probably be making sure your chosen suppressor is rated for .308 out of such a short barrel, not all of them are.
View Quote
If short for a 556 is less than 10.5 for most suppressor why would 12.5 be a problem in .308?  Just asking. The suppressor is an old swr omega 30.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
A short barreled .308 is a bit of a flame thrower. Be sure to check with the Silencer Co and ask about the useage
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If short for a 556 is less than 10.5 for most suppressor why would 12.5 be a problem in .308?  Just asking. The suppressor is an old swr omega 30.
View Quote
Bigger cartridge = more powder = more gas volume and pressure curve increase as barrel shortens.  I can't find info about the minimum barrel length for the old SWR Omega, but here are the specs for the newer Silencer Co. Omega, for a comparison:

Minimum Barrel Length:
5.56                                10"
300BLK                            8"                                                                
762 NATO                          16"                                                                                    
Magnum                               20"
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe that's what Gersh Kuntzman fired when he wrote his famous article? It could explain how he was nauseated by the smell of burning powder, and the recoil was so strong it gave him PTSD
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
maybe that's what Gersh Kuntzman fired when he wrote his famous article? It could explain how he was nauseated by the smell of burning powder, and the recoil was so strong it gave him PTSD
View Quote
If I don't wear HP and a mask much of the time, My 5.56 7.5 inch will make me nauseous, so I don't know that I would want to build a 7.62 pistol or SBR..  That is quite a bit of juice going down a short tube.  You can do anything, but that does not mean you should always do something.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
There was another thread on this recently

308 Pistol?

Here are a couple photos from that thread
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bigger cartridge = more powder = more gas volume and pressure curve increase as barrel shortens.  I can't find info about the minimum barrel length for the old SWR Omega, but here are the specs for the newer Silencer Co. Omega, for a comparison:

Minimum Barrel Length:
5.56                                10"
300BLK                            8"                                                                
762 NATO                          16"                                                                                    
Magnum                               20"
View Quote
Nice, that's good information right there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I hve 2 308 pistols. they are fun. was able to pop iron at 200 yards with irons
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top