Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 1:13:58 PM EDT
Can someone explain the differences here?

From what I can see the maxim seems like it might have a shorter fully collapsed position, and also it has the QD mounts on the sides.

Are there any other major differences? They are basically the same brace right? I heard maxim makes SB Tacticals.

Also wasn't there a rule that said a pistol brace has to be fixed and can't be collapsible?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry you wanted Brace not PDW Stock. This Stock might be shorter.

ARC Retractable Stock
ARC Retractable Stock:
Ultra Compact-one of the Shortest stocks in length while compacted.
Precision Machined.
Ability to use any Bolt Carrier Group.
Superb for any rifle or SBR!

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can someone explain the differences here?

From what I can see the maxim seems like it might have a shorter fully collapsed position, and also it has the QD mounts on the sides.

Are there any other major differences? They are basically the same brace right? I heard maxim makes SB Tacticals.

Also wasn't there a rule that said a pistol brace has to be fixed and can't be collapsible?
View Quote

The Maximum is a tad bit shorter when collapsed. It also uses a proprietary buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't care too much about fully compactness although it's cool.

I would think he sb w the longer tube might even be more comfy for a cheek weld bc of it. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The Maxim Defense Brace is shorter when fully collapsed.  It has QD sockets on each side at roughly 2:30 and 9:30.  The buffer tube section has linear groves and there is a 1 inch gap between the end of the buffer tube and the rubber section of the brace when fully extended.  I believe the fully extended length is also longer then the SB Tactical Brace's maximum length.

The SB Tactical has 1 QD socket at the 6 o'clock position.  It's buffer tube is smooth and there is no gap even when fully extended.

My cheek rests on the buffer tube of the Maxim Defense Brace, even when fully extended.

I went with the Maxim because it was shorter when collapsed, longer when extended, and had all of the features I wanted.  So far, I'm VERY happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
After owning both:

The SB does have a tad better cheek weld.
The SB runs off of regular buffers and springs.

However:

The Maxim Locks up tighter in each position.
It collapses shorter
It has more adjustments.
Is much more refined fit and finish.
Has it's own buffer system, but is also supported by JP with a SCS.

Both are great braces. I was happy with my SB till I found a Maxim for one heck of a deal on GunBroker.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn you guys did not make my decision any easier lol.

Interesting point about the maxim brace vs the CTR very good to know. I think the SB tactical has similar lengths in each position but slightly shorter than the Maxim.

THe point about it locking up is pretty important. I haven't seen these so I wonder how durable and stable they are. I'm guessing very much so.

I like the possible better cheek weld with the SB ...
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn you guys did not make my decision any easier lol.

Interesting point about the maxim brace vs the CTR very good to know. I think the SB tactical has similar lengths in each position but slightly shorter than the Maxim.

THe point about it locking up is pretty important. I haven't seen these so I wonder how durable and stable they are. I'm guessing very much so.

I like the possible better cheek weld with the SB ...
View Quote
You really can't go wrong with either. Some pics may help.

Sorry about the link, since PB went full retard it's hard to find a good mobile app for pic hosting.

This is as I was building my mpw.

First with he SB tact collapsed

KIMG0147 by , on Flickr

And now with the Maxim:

KIMG0270 by , on Flickr

SB tact open all the way:

KIMG0186 by , on Flickr

Maxim open all the way

KIMG0264 by , on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a weight difference? The SB says 18oz on their site, the maxim says nothing.

Also does it feel heavy?

One problem I have w the kak is that it's almost too light.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]
The weight should be about the same, and no it doesn't feel any more heavy than a traditional stock and tube.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Sweet I'm probably gunna get the SB Tactical since it's cheaper and there doesn't seem to be that huge of a difference.

The maxim def seems like it's got more benefits, but for what I'd need it for I think the SB will do the trick.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#13]
If I bought Maxim Defense Brace using with it a 7.5 upper would I need to get the silent captured spring "heavy" or standard?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Supposedly the std is good for everything, the heavy is for full auto.

In my experience I went from running the H2 buffer in the SB tact brace, to the std buffer in the maxim ,and my ejection and reliability has stayed the same on my 9" 300 blk.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Supposedly the std is good for everything, the heavy is for full auto.

In my experience I went from running the H2 buffer in the SB tact brace, to the std buffer in the maxim ,and my ejection and reliability has stayed the same on my 9" 300 blk.
View Quote
Ok cool thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top