Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 7:56:25 PM EDT
I have two Kaks ... I love them, but they def dig into my shoulder a bit being slightly sharp and rigid.

For those out there that have tested many, what do you consider to be the most comfortable brace?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The SBX is very comfy, and not too cumbersome.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
it certainly looks like it.

my two questions are:

1. does it "flex" on the bottom tang?
2. I have heard from others about the SB Tactical braces that there is no "Pin" like the Kak has, that it could technically rotate all the way around the buffer tube, is this true? How do you secure it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it certainly looks like it.

my two questions are:

1. does it "flex" on the bottom tang?
2. I have heard from others about the SB Tactical braces that there is no "Pin" like the Kak has, that it could technically rotate all the way around the buffer tube, is this true? How do you secure it?
View Quote
The flex is very minimal, especially in actual use.

I used an oversized pistol tube, so no worries of rotation.....at all.

If I remember correctly, it was from Radical Firearms.
It does look like this one, but I don't know for sure.
They don't have anything of the sort listed on their site, so maybe they are only selling those types of parts through distributors these days.

...or maybe my memory is shit, and it was a different company entirely.

ETA: I just ordered one. If you can wait a few days, I'll report back whether its a match or not.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea def let me know.

Love your avatar btw lol
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]
There are anti-rotation devices for the original SB15 brace (OdinWorks and Phase5) but nothing of the sort exists for other SB braces.
I had mine on a .120 tube and it still rotated if bumped.  Not a big deal, but annoying.  They're significantly more comfy than my shockwave.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Believe it or not, the Maxim Defense CQB Collapsible Brace is very comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Just looked that one up, looks awesome, and I'm sure it's comfy, but its expensive!!!! https://bigarmory.com/8523976112-maxim-cqb-pistol-pdw-brace-std-blk.html

I would be all in on the SB Tactical Brace if I had a way to stop rotation and also to adjust it's position. I have my KAKs almost all the way forward but keep some space because I have a QD Sling.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the new SB SOB brace. On the PSA pistol buffer tube it is on there tight! I do not think it will rotate. It is also really comfortable to shoulder with good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the new SB SOB brace. On the PSA pistol buffer tube it is on there tight! I do not think it will rotate. It is also really comfortable to shoulder with good cheek weld.
View Quote
ditto, very comfortable.  I shoot one on a 7.62 x 39, no sting of the shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
INDEED! Spendy tho.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just looked that one up, looks awesome, and I'm sure it's comfy, but its expensive!!!! https://bigarmory.com/8523976112-maxim-cqb-pistol-pdw-brace-std-blk.html

I would be all in on the SB Tactical Brace if I had a way to stop rotation and also to adjust it's position. I have my KAKs almost all the way forward but keep some space because I have a QD Sling.
View Quote
If you can manage to get the same pistol tube I mentioned in my initial response, you will not be able to adjust it without a LOT of physical effort.
That's why I ordered another one. I wanted to help you by figuring out if it is the same tube, but I also wanted to save the effort of trying to remove my SBX from it's current home to measure the tube O.D.

You can put cut up pieces of PVC pipe inside as spacers, but it wont be like adjusting the KAK shockwave, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1

Own the Blade too. The guy at Maxim told me they considered making their stock out of rubber as they made their brace. Its really nice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I use the SB tactical SBM4, very comfortable and fits tight on my phase 5 pistol buffer tube.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a SBM4 brace on a spike's pistol buffer tube.

She's on tight. You can rotate it if you try but you'd have to try.

ETA SBM4 is super comfortable. Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#15]
The SBM4 looks sweet, i noticed that it doesn't have the end cap though.

Does it push up all the way against the receiver?

I use a BCM QD End plate and with the QD Swivel I need about .75 inches of space before the brace can begin or else it gets in the way.

I don't know why all the other SB tact braces have that end cap but this one does not.

edit: also is it sturdy when shooting or do you feel flex?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Super duper sweet.

I can't spend that much tho!!! haha
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The SBM4 looks sweet, i noticed that it doesn't have the end cap though.

Does it push up all the way against the receiver? I have mine about 2" from the end plate, you can put it were you want it. When I received mine in the mail it was a hot 103 deg day and the stock slid pretty easy onto the tube. Now that it's cool it doesn't move.

I use a BCM QD End plate and with the QD Swivel I need about .75 inches of space before the brace can begin or else it gets in the way.

I don't know why all the other SB tact braces have that end cap but this one does not.

edit: also is it sturdy when shooting or do you feel flex? I feel no flex.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#19]
tail hook
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a kak and have used the sbm4 a couple of times. I prefer the kak because it doesnt bend, and as long as you keep the blade away from your collar bone I find it to be rather comfy too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
tail hook
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#22]
LOL when you understand the regs how comfortable a brace is when shouldered is discussing a potentially illegal use. Yeah I read the ATF "reversed" it's ruling, they didn't remove it, nonetheless.

And even more humorous since we are talking recoil of the 5.56. There was a chin rest marketed at one time, and DI's in Basic would demonstrate the lack of recoil by putting the buttstock on their chin and firing rounds down range. It's not a Garand, you can do it and not suffer injury.

Exactly why some of us shoot nose to the charging handle no brace. Since most of the brace sales are usually based on how cool they look it's going to be interesting posting up which has the better recoil ability. It's really moot since the ATF doesn't allow flat vertical surfaces that act like a shoulder stock. And what one shooter perceives as comfort, even with 5.56, is another's ouchy.

Go ahead and dismiss everything I just said, enjoy the conversation. The ATF isn't posturing to be a bad guy over it - right now - but it still doesn't dismiss all the old Fudd Range Officers who don't like pistols and who are still looking for any excuse to throw you off the range. Choose your facility wisely - use more thought about that than which pretend stock won't hurt your delicate anatomy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#23]
How does ignoring stay in that position? Just tension?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And even more humorous since we are talking recoil of the 5.56. 
View Quote
Who said anything about 5.56?

My pistol is 300 Blackout
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I would never intentionally shoulder a pistol brace.

I thought this thread was about the general characteristics of such items.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Who said anything about 5.56?

My pistol is 300 Blackout
View Quote
300 Blackout has even less "recoil"
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Agreed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
tail hook
Agreed.
+1
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#28]
The SB Tactical PDW brace is comfortable and a bit less then the Maxim....may be an option.

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a few Shockwave braces on other pistols but I just replaced one with a SB Tactical SOB and it is really comfortable compared.  The color seems to match a little better than the Shockwave.  I also used the KAK tube with this SB brace that I originally had with the Shockwave it it seemed to fit tight and seems like it will hold up but I haven't tested it yet at the range.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top