Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2017 11:58:12 AM EDT
Hey guys its been a long time! I have been busy and have really been learning a lot about the AR platform over the last 5 years. I have sold a couple and recently bought a new one that I'm very happy with (Spikes Crusader). BUT I finally got the itch and decided I want to build my next AR. I thought a pistol would be a fun build and a good opportunity to learn on. I have experience shooting, maintaining and swapping parts on AR's but have never sourced ALL the parts before and done a full build. I already have a serious use rifle so this one will be mostly for fun BUT I do want the thing to work properly. Ill probably start the build around December and gathering my parts so any advice or help would be much appreciated. Here's the list I have compiled so far:

Lower:
Spikes "the Jack" stripped lower
Spikes Enhanced Lower parts kit
Law Tactical Folder
SB tactical Brace
Midwest Pistol Buffer tube

Upper:
Either Vltor MUR or Spikes Billet
Midwest 9" Mlok Rail
Davidson Defense 7.5" .223 Wylde barrel
Spikes Barking Spider Break
Cryptic Coatings BCG (bronze)

Again any help, advice or experience would be of GREAT help. Obviously this thing wont be bought all at once and I'm not "married" to any parts besides The Jack lower so I can easily change the plan if something I listed wont work or is not a good product. Again this will be sourced and bought over time starting probably in December, hopefully finish by next June. But I would like to get started incase deals pop up here and there.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure davidson defense is utter crap, but nothing else stands out to me.

Go for a ballistic advantage for a less expensive barrel.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
David's defense is garbage compared to the rest of your parts. I agree their are much better barrels out there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the heads Up! I did a quick search after your comment. Yeah not good things.

I found an Odin works that comes with an adjustable gas block. Better option? I like that I can tune it being the pistols can be finicky.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Haven't tried Odin Works, but they have a much better reputation and are a much better option than what I've heard regarding Davidson Defense.

Also the advice about Faxon or Ballistic Advantage is spot on.  I've used barrels from both of these companies and have been impressed with their quality and value.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't tried Odin Works, but they have a much better reputation and are a much better option than what I've heard regarding Davidson Defense.

Also the advice about Faxon or Ballistic Advantage is spot on.  I've used barrels from both of these companies and have been impressed with their quality and value.
View Quote
There's actually a 3 page thread on how Faxon has been messing up lately and with bad CS to boot.  For that I can't recommend them at this time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:31:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There's actually a 3 page thread on how Faxon has been messing up lately and with bad CS to boot.  For that I can't recommend them at this time.
View Quote
its because some guy can't get his taper pins out, and doesn't like the handguard cap that came on his dissy barrel and is all pissy about it.  If you read Faxon's responses in the Aim surplus they are very professional they don't just call him a liar like he stated.  I can absolutely recommend Faxon, and they have a pretty good rep around here.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
if you decide to not put a brace or blade on it the KAK tube for the SiG brace puts my nose to charging handle with just the tube
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the OW AGB, I have one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#9]
My advice would be to pass up on the goofy looking $350 lower receiver.  Buy a $50 one from PSA, Aero, Anderson, or whoever you want and spend that $300 you saved on ammo.  If you ever have to use that gun to shoot a person, you better believe the ugly ass skull lower receiver will be used against you in court.  There's even cases where custom engraving on the dust cover was used and helped convict somebody.  I know I wouldn't want the district attorney holding up a custom assault rifle of doom with fucking skull showing it off to the jury.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard the story about the dust cover. It said "you're fucked" on it and I believe it was a police officer that had it.

That being said a skull lower dosent really imply anything besides I like skulls. My crusader has a cross on it and a bible verse, if I use it will a lawyer say I'm a religious wacko? He could try but a good defense attorney would slap it down.

And in the end IF I had to use any of my AR's for personal protection, things have gotten really bad and I'm not going to be worrying about possible lawsuits.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an Odin barrel on one of my pistols. Good and accurate. And the adjustable gas block is a bonus, especially if you ever go suppressed.

I have both the Spike billet upper and a VLTOR on two of my builds. No difference in function. If you go with anything but a mil spec bolt catch release you may run into fitment issues so double check clearance. For instance, ran into this issue using a Seekins release on the Spikes upper. May have been an out of spec release, but the awesome thing is Tom at Spikes stepped in and took care of me, even though it wasn't their issue. From strictly an aesthetic stand point I like the Spikes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I just built a pistol. I agree with others about the barrel. I havent heard any good things about them.    I got the BA barrel and it shot great today.

If you can buy a barrel with an adjustable gas block and tube pre installed that would be a huge bonus.  The only issue I had with my build was putting the fucking stupid roll pin in my gas block and gas tube.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:12:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just built a pistol. I agree with others about the barrel. I havent heard any good things about them.    I got the BA barrel and it shot great today.

If you can buy a barrel with an adjustable gas block and tube pre installed that would be a huge bonus.  The only issue I had with my build was putting the fucking stupid roll pin in my gas block and gas tube.
View Quote
One trick I use when putting in small roll pins like that is to take a piece of electrical tape and wrap it partially around the end of the punch with a short bit of tape extending past the end. Then, just sit the roll pin snug against the punch and finish wrapping the tape around, leaving the end of the roll pin sticking out of the tape. A good tap or two and it's well started. Makes it a snap. I use it for the bolt catch pin when assembling lowers as well. 

OP, I'd also say go with a BA barrel. I've heard nothing but positive experiences, and they seem to be a great value for the price.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
been there lol.  Ended up getting so frustrated I ordered one of these.
http://www.precisionreflex.com/ThumbnailHandler.ashx?MediaID=46545&size=220
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for all the reply's, Ill defiantly be looking into the barrels more. The Odin works really catches my eye because it comes with an adjustable gas block that's already made for that barrel. which leads me to a follow-up question, will the adjustable gas block negate the need to fiddle with a bunch of different buffers and springs? The Midwest buffer tube assembly comes with a spring and buffer but it doesn't list which one. Once I get to testing should I just roll with whatever's in there and just use the gas block?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I know wilson combat has some good ss barrels, you might should look imto them too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thank you for all the reply's, Ill defiantly be looking into the barrels more. The Odin works really catches my eye because it comes with an adjustable gas block that's already made for that barrel. which leads me to a follow-up question, will the adjustable gas block negate the need to fiddle with a bunch of different buffers and springs? The Midwest buffer tube assembly comes with a spring and buffer but it doesn't list which one. Once I get to testing should I just roll with whatever's in there and just use the gas block?
View Quote
Usually it is either or.
Either a gas block or a heavier buffer, but not both.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top