Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 9:52:32 AM EDT

https://www.scorpiustactical.com/products/midwest-industries-mi-ar-15-blast-diverter-forward-ar15-linear-compensator-ar-15-5-56-223?variant=19703281989

Anyone using one of these?  Thinking of putting one on my 7.5" 5.56 pistol.  Does it erode badly inside, to the point the exit hole starts closing up?  This is the problem I had with the cookie cutter after 50 rounds.  I went back to the KAK can but would still like some brake effect without the back concussion and noise.

What are your experiences with linear comps on 7.5 pistols?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0233/6777/products/mi_blast_diverter_large.jpg?v=1458940844

https://www.scorpiustactical.com/products/midwest-industries-mi-ar-15-blast-diverter-forward-ar15-linear-compensator-ar-15-5-56-223?variant=19703281989

Anyone using one of these?  Thinking of putting one on my 7.5" 5.56 pistol.  Does it erode badly inside, to the point the exit hole starts closing up?  This is the problem I had with the cookie cutter after 50 rounds.  I went back to the KAK can but would still like some brake effect without the back concussion and noise.

View Quote
You're asking for something that is not possible.  A linear compensator, like what you posted, does nearly the exact same thing as the KAK flash can.  It will not affect the recoil of your gun.  A compensator that affects the recoil of the gun will give you back concussion and noise - that's how they work, by diverting the supersonic propellant gasses from their linear path.

Form 1 a can.  N/m, see you're in the land of liberty taxation.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the CMT linear Z comp. I run one on my .300blk pistol. It's about the best of both worlds you will get.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're asking for something that is not possible.  A linear compensator, like what you posted, does nearly the exact same thing as the KAK flash can.  It will not affect the recoil of your gun.  A compensator that affects the recoil of the gun will give you back concussion and noise - that's how they work, by diverting the supersonic propellant gasses from their linear path.

Form 1 a can.  N/m, see you're in the land of liberty taxation.
View Quote
My understanding is, the mostly closed front provides the braking effect, with the radial holes letting out the gases.  While I am sure it is not as efficient as a side or rear venting brake, it is sure to provide some braking while keeping the majority of blast going forward.

My question still stands, are there problems with erosion into the exit hole with linear comps on 7.5 barrels?  Anyone have experience with linear comps on short barrels?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  My understanding is, the mostly closed front provides the braking effect, with the radial holes letting out the gases.  While I am sure it is not as efficient as a side or rear venting brake, it is sure to provide some braking while keeping the majority of blast going forward.

My question still stands, are there problems with erosion into the exit hole with linear comps on 7.5 barrels?  Anyone have experience with linear comps on short barrels?
View Quote
Yes, on a linear compensator, the holes let the gasses go - forward.  A muzzle brake redirects the gasses rearward - thus braking the gun's recoil.  If you want a muzzle brake, get a muzzle brake, and pay the noise penalty.  A linear compensator won't brake the recoil of the gun - the gasses are going the wrong direction to do so.

Think of a muzzle device like a rocket engine - the thrust is wherever the nozzle is pointing.  In the picture you posted, the nozzles are pointed forward.  That's not going to brake the recoil of the gun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Hijacking the thread for a minute,,, if you don't care about a brake, only flash and blast.. which is a good option for an 10.5 to 11.5 barrel?
I have night vision, but it's not autogated, and wondering if some attachment will let me use it without damage.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0233/6777/products/mi_blast_diverter_large.jpg?v=1458940844

View Quote

Doubt your device was eroding, would suspect you were seeing carbon build up. Or, you had an aluminum device.

A liniar comp will do nothing as far as acting like a muzzle brake. It will, most likely, increase the recoil feel
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the advice and answers, seems the linear comp will be no advantage to me over the KAK micro can I am now using, and like pretty well.  Was hoping to try to get a little braking while still having blast forward, but maybe that won't work.

On the cookie cutter, its steel and very much did erode.  I also thought it was carbon but after thorough cleaning it was very apparent the metal was deeply pitted, concaved the surface and flowed into the exit hole creating a small ring of metal around the edges protruding into the hole.  I contacted Strike Industries about it and they stated it was normal and the accelerated wear was due to the short barrel and the very hot gases.  I did not want the hole slowly closing up so I just removed it.  Its too bad because the cookie cutter is amazing at reducing recoil to very little, make follow up shots very easy, but it does produce some healthy noise and concussion on the support hand.

Here is inside the comp, after 50 rounds of standard factory FMJ 55 gr 5.56.

The metal flowed into the exit hole:

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Hijacking the thread for a minute,,, if you don't care about a brake, only flash and blast.. which is a good option for an 10.5 to 11.5 barrel?
I have night vision, but it's not autogated, and wondering if some attachment will let me use it without damage.
View Quote
Your best bet is a can.  Police chiefs can't say no anymore, and you can build a Form 1 can for under $100 in materials + a $200 stamp.

A flash can like OP's is going to increase the flash but reduce the blast, a flash hider will help w/ the flash but the blast is going to be significant out of a 10.5".  A linear compensator like the OP posted will help w/ the blast, and might help with the flash, but have never heard that effect stated.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow....thanks for the pics of the Cookie Cutter!

Unreal that it eroded so quickly
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
You could try out the PWS CQB. I dont have a lot of trigger time with it yet but I have one on my 5.45 11.5" build and love it so far. Its got some weight to it which IMO helps with what little muzzle rise these calibers have plus its basically a single chamber can so it cuts down on blast and noise significantly. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm using a griffin taper mount minimalist brake (steel version) with their taper mount blast shield. 

It's a pretty sweet setup but I'm planning on putting a can on it to replace the shield.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
KAK is cheap.  Who cares about erosion?  Just wear it out and buy another one.  Heck, even the Midwest is cheap.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:53:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
KAK is cheap.  Who cares about erosion?  Just wear it out and buy another one.  Heck, even the Midwest is cheap.  
View Quote
I haven't had any erosion problems with the KAK can, just some discoloration inside.  Its actually a pretty decent piece, but doesn't really do a lot except send the flames and some of the sound downrange.  But it does look good, at least I think so.

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I use the MI Blaster Diverter on a 10.3" Daniel Defense upper in 5.56.  I don't have an exact count of rounds fired with that linear comp in place since I've tried different muzzle devices on that upper, but it's around 1500.  I haven't taken it off to examine it carefully for erosion from the inside, but looking into the exit hole in the center I can see some "feathering" appearing on the inside edges of the bullet exit hole, so there must be some erosion taking place.  Nothing that would come close to touching the exiting bullet.  That upper is normally fired 5 shots and let cool, so the MI linear comp doesn't get real hot, however, to the touch it does get hotter than the bbl feels.  

Background:  My short DD upper's blast was bothering me and the shooters to the sides.  I tried a KAW Valley linear comp and a Barking Spider.  Upon installing those linear comps I began to have about 4-5% failures to extract the fired case (no failures with the DD A2 flash hider in place), although they worked in mitigating the muzzle blast.  What was happening was that those linear comps increased the gas pressure causing the bolt to open a little sooner before the chamber pressure could go down enough to allow extraction 100% of the time (at least that's my theory).  Contacting various linear comp makers, all that replied (except MI) said their comps increased the back gas pressure (which could be a good thing for short bbl functioning due to lack of gas dwell time in some instances).  MI said theirs would not or at the worst would increase back gas pressure very little.  

Installing the MI linear comp, my upper's functioning went back to 100% and the muzzle blast to the back and sides was nicely reduced and made the shooting much more pleasant over the A2 flash hider.  I liked it so much that I bought a 2nd one for another SBR upper.  I like that it's short, looks nice, not expensive, and it works to direct blast away from the shooter and shooters to the sides.

Note:  In my opinion, the KAW Vally, Barking Spider, and Flaming Pig do a little better job of directing the muzzle blast away.  In order of effectiveness, least to best:  MI, KAW Valley, and tied for best are Barking Spider and Flaming Pig.  I now also have the STD on a 300BLK upper and tried it on a 5.56 bbl with a thread adaptor.  I'd rate the MI and STD to be equal in effectiveness.  I did not try the STD on the short DD upper, so I don't know about gas back pressure increase.

Oh, in my experience, the MI linear comp provides no braking/recoil reducing effect other than its small amount of weight since it's made from steel.  Still, I didn't buy it for braking but for reducing the blast effect.

Regarding A2 vs MI in terms of flash suppression, the A2 is MUCH better than the MI.  Depending upon the powder (WC844 and WC846), the MI doesn't suppress flash or rather I can see the flash in the daylight when using those powders from the shooter's position.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#15]
You will not 'close the hole' on the cookie cutter.

eventually the hole will open up from erosion  
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#16]
An Open Linear MD does not heat up as much as a closed MD. On sale for $17.45 and free "4th of July " shipping.

Open Linear MD
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#17]
MI is free shipping through today from thier website. I was curious about this blast diverter as well, so ordered one for a 12.5" pistol I am putting together. I will get some pictures up when it gets in.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
An Open Linear MD does not heat up as much as a closed MD. On sale for $17.45 and free "4th of July " shipping.

Open Linear MD
View Quote
thank you
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have three of the MI BD and I would like to hear if others have had similar results.  One on a 10.5 inch 5.56, one on a 12" 6.8, and one on a .400 SOCOM 16 inch.  
The two on the short barreled pistols do direct the blast forward as mentioned, do little if anything for recoil reduction, and accuracy was not affected one way or the other.  However, on the 16 inch .400 SOCOM, it was bored out to clear the bullet of course, accuracy was improved by a significant amount.  IIRC it was around a quarter to three-eighths inch reduction for 5 shots at 100 yards.  IMO the BD looks a little funny on a 16 inch barrel but a reduction in group size wins out over looks.  MI does not make any accuracy enhancement claims but in one out of my three, it sure did.  I'd love to hear if it affects accuracy with others or I just lucked out on that rifle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm using a griffin taper mount minimalist brake (steel version) with their taper mount blast shield. 

It's a pretty sweet setup but I'm planning on putting a can on it to replace the shield.
View Quote
Thinking of going this route for both of my AR pistols
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Check out the CMT linear Z comp. I run one on my .300blk pistol. It's about the best of both worlds you will get.
View Quote
This the correct one?  CMT Linear Z Comp?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top