Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2017 11:03:45 PM EDT
So I managed to snag a few of the clearance pink braces from SIG a few weeks back for $9 a pop, and have been interested in making them not pink.

I've scoured the interwebs and all I have found are failures (dye failure, paint chipping, etc).

But I had a random idea, and went for it.

http://imgur.com/a/6wCbP

After about 3 coats of Flex Seal (yeah that stuff from TV), its hit a nice texture, good coverage of the pink rubber, and no problems with flexing causing cracks or chips. I have no idea how it will hold up in the long run, but thought I would share the results and see what other techniques have been tried and how they have turned out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking for a solution.  First I want to admit, I like pink.  Well actually pink likes me but anyway, these are bubblegum pink.  The only place I've seen a pink like this was in a San Francisco parade.  

Now you said you tried dying it.  What kind of dye did you use?  Rit has a new dye out that is supposed to work is why I ask.  See, my first pistol build is dessert tan, which this bubblegum brace is on.  I really would like to see if I could get this thing to match.  I've seen red and black work.  

I just looked it up, and it's Rit DyeMore Synthetic that's supposed to work.  Again I would love to hear more about what you tried.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The flex seal is only thing I've tried thus far.

Read about others' attempts here and there, but most of it has been third hand "I heard X doesn't work" or "X is supposed to work" (no offense) only to read conflicting reports later. Never saw any pictures, so I wanted to share mine.

I will look into the synthetic dye you mentioned though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of them, but didn't get as good of a deal as you did!

I tried regular RIT dye- didn't work.

I roughed up the finish with sandpaper, wiped it down with rubbing alcohol, and hit it a few times with Rustoleum that can be used on plastics (regular spray paint didn't work).

It turned out smooth. I don't know about long term durability because I haven't used it yet. Once I get through a few other projects, I'll be able to take it out and shoot some.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Look for automotive vinyl dye spray at auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKMVMK?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Red brace is now black.

Reddit r/guns

See if that second one works. My copy paste-fu may be off. Anyway, there is a way to do it, my problem is it has to be black.  I hate black.  It's like communism where everyone can have the most luxurious same exact thing.  That's not how luxury works.

I stood in Walmart today and looked long and hard at the flex seal.  But I really want to do a plasti-dip cover on my wheels (converting Mercedes ML into off road mastedon) and the flex seal got me mad thinking about how much time I waste doing this stuff instead of, oh I don't know, mowing the yard?  Keep us posted.  Waiting for pics on pistol.  Never enough pics!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red brace is now black.

Reddit r/guns

See if that second one works. My copy paste-fu may be off. Anyway, there is a way to do it, my problem is it has to be black.  I hate black.  It's like communism where everyone can have the most luxurious same exact thing.  That's not how luxury works.

I stood in Walmart today and looked long and hard at the flex seal.  But I really want to do a plasti-dip cover on my wheels (converting Mercedes ML into off road mastedon) and the flex seal got me mad thinking about how much time I waste doing this stuff instead of, oh I don't know, mowing the yard?  Keep us posted.  Waiting for pics on pistol.  Never enough pics!!!
View Quote
Use automotive or marine vinyl dye in a spray.  What color do you want?
http://www.tcpglobal.com/SEM-VCS-CC_3.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7ozx84vN1AIV2IKzCh1j2Q2GEAQYASABEgKQy_D_BwE#.WUlu38spDqA

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dupli-Color-Paint-HVP113-Dupli-Color-Vinyl-And-Fabric-Coating/149752361

Duplicolor has some also.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Red brace is now black.

Reddit r/guns

View Quote
So rit dye black?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So rit dye black?
View Quote
Not the regular Rit Dye.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Had some time this weekend so I tried some of the iDye Poly on my pink braces. JoAnn Fabric has it for $4.49 a pack and they have 40% coupons floating around - so all said and done, it was around $2.80 for the dye. iDye Poly 454 is the one you want:

Gave the braces a quick wash down with soap and water and threw them in the pot:

Total time was about 1-1/2 hours with bringing the pot up to a boil and letting it boil 1/2-1 hour per the directions.

The dye worked pretty well - it's not perfect - you can still see a few tinges of pink in bright sunlight:

But in ambient light they look pretty good:

A lot better than before. For ~$3 and two hours of time, I'm more than happy with the results.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top