Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 1:08:55 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm set on purchasing a Ballistic Advantage .300bo barrel very, soon, ideally today or tomorrow.  I'm debating the following options: 8.3" vs 10.3" and their performance series (4150) vs premium (stainless).  The way I see it there are four options on the table.  This will be an unsuppressed pistol for the foreseeable future and not running subs until I get a can (1+ years away).  I want to keep it short, but also want feedback on personal experiences.  I have searched and read everything, but was hoping for some updates from people who have been running these barrels for a while.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 8.3" and don't regret it, especially since it's a pistol.  It balances nicely with a carbine extension.  

No complaints on accuracy or reliability.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, I'm asking as much as making any definitive statement about the Hanson barrel profile.  Is the Hanson barrel really an advantage on something like a 300BO pistol in the 8"-10" range?  I can see barrel harmonics, barrel whip, etc. being a more critical issue in at least two cases.  The longer a barrel is, the more susceptible to those elements it might be.  I'm not suggesting an 8" barrel has no barrel harmonics/whip elements...just that perhaps, depending on barrel profile, a barrel in the 14.5" and longer may be more of an issue.  Secondly, I tend to think a short barrel in something like 300BO does not have as much negative influence from barrel harmonics/whip issues as it pertains to accuracy when you consider the caliber, it's limitations, and especially shooting subs suppressed.  

Understand, I have no issue with the Hanson profile, I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra money in the application of a 300BO pistol length.  I have an 18" and 20" AR15 with higher magnification optics for longer range use and hunting.  I wouldn't mind having a Hanson profile on those barrels as I can see a potential accuracy consistency being possible.

On Ballistic Advantage barrels, I have the 9.5" nitride 300BO version and couldn't be happier.  This barrel is accurate and well finished.  I will say I've only been using this in suppressed mode with subsonic ammo, and it is awesome in that role.  The barrel, while not a sewer pipe, bull profile, is quite beefy.  I'm not trying to deter you from buying what is obviously a quality BA barrel in that Hanson profile.  I'm just curious how much benefit for the price one might actually realize in a stubby 300BO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That "Modern Series" model is what I went with in 9.5".  I got mine from "Right to Bear" for about $105.  Those prices tend to make one suspicious that quality might not be that great, but that has definitely not been the case.  Accuracy, finish, and all other features has been excellent.  I'm a fan of the nitride treatment...or CPQ as BA refers to it...on barrels.  Just curious on barrel length preference...isn't 9" for subs supposed to be about the ideal length for 300BO?  It's the reason I went with 9.5" at the time as I didn't seen a straight 9" version available from BA.  I'm thinking about dipping into the supersonic area of 300BO since I'm already loading my subs for the caliber, but I think I'll select a 16" barrel for that upper or complete rifle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Those of you with 8.3" barrels, any issues with supersonics?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the BA Hanson 10.3" 4150 CMV on my blackout pistol build.  I don't know if it is because of barrel harmonics or not, but I can say it is a very smooth shooter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#7]
8.3" performance series (4150) ordered. Down to a muzzle device, likely BRT fluted, and handguard.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the 8.3" deal from Monmouth.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The optimal barrel length for 300 BO is 9 inches. So get one like the one in the link below and also get an SLR Adjustable gas block so you can do Suppressed fire
reliably - you are going to do Suppressed with a 300 BO, right....right

9-inch BA Barrel

GB and tube

Linear Muzzle Device

Hand Guard
Recommend a non-black HG to ID the Upper as not-5.56 to help avoid 5.56 vs. 300 BO in the magazine KABOOOM
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The optimal barrel length for 300 BO is 9 inches. So get one like the one in the link below and also get an SLR Adjustable gas block so you can do Suppressed fire
reliably - you are going to do Suppressed with a 300 BO, right....right

9-inch BA Barrel

GB and tube

Linear Muzzle Device

Hand Guard
Recommend a non-black HG to ID the Upper as not-5.56 to help avoid 5.56 vs. 300 BO in the magazine KABOOOM
View Quote
nada, on the adjustable gas block, I had a Seekins adjustable GB on my 9.5" BA 300BO barrel.  Even shooting various off-the-shelf subs and testing my various home reloaded subs, I found I never needed to reduce the gas...ran it wide open.  It yielded perfect ejection pattern, no overgassed brass, and smooth on the action...no hammering.  I went ahead and took off the GB and installed a plain, low profile GB and kept the Seekins for possible use on another gun.  The Sentry AGB is an outstanding unit, but I think at over $100 I'd find out if a standard GB would do the job first.  It probably will.  If not, it's an easy item to switch out after the fact.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Have the 10.3 Hanson performance and while it's a great shooter, I wish I'd done the 8.3 Hanson as I went in thinking I'd use it for multi purpose and the 10.3 would be better for supers. Now I'm thinking it'll be for HD/subs as I want a 6.5grendal for my supers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

nada, on the adjustable gas block, I had a Seekins adjustable GB on my 9.5" BA 300BO barrel.  Even shooting various off-the-shelf subs and testing my various home reloaded subs, I found I never needed to reduce the gas...ran it wide open.  It yielded perfect ejection pattern, no overgassed brass, and smooth on the action...no hammering.  I went ahead and took off the GB and installed a plain, low profile GB and kept the Seekins for possible use on another gun.  The Sentry AGB is an outstanding unit, but I think at over $100 I'd find out if a standard GB would do the job first.  It probably will.  If not, it's an easy item to switch out after the fact.
View Quote
The adjustable gas block is most useful for suppressed shooting. You are going suppressed, right... right

If you still have that Seekins adjustable gas block, and it matched the barrel journal, go ahead and use it - save $20 over a new non-adj.

Happy G-Smithing
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:08:48 AM EDT
[#13]
The 8" BA 300 "Modern" does supers well. But not so good with subs, at least without can. It will cycle them, but not let the the bolt hold open on last round. Tried buffer and LW BCG, still cycles subs, but no bold hold open. Will try a Nemo spring. For subs, tried the Hornaday Black 208s and Rem 220s.

All tests above w/o can, and standard pistol/carbine spring and buffer.

Quoted:
Those of you with 8.3" barrels, any issues with supersonics?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The adjustable gas block is most useful for suppressed shooting. You are going suppressed, right... right

If you still have that Seekins adjustable gas block, and it matched the barrel journal, go ahead and use it - save $20 over a new non-adj.

Happy G-Smithing
View Quote
Just got through yesterday shooting a bunch of different 1680 powder weights with my 208g ELD-M Hornady's in my 9.5" BA barrel for load development.  Even with the lowest powder load which dropped the velocity into the low 900's, the gun cycled perfectly and locked back on last round...no adjustable gas block and with suppressor of course.  I don't intend to use this gun unsuppressed.  I just don't think it's optimal for anything else even it if it will function/cycle.  It's just an awesome setup for a suppressor.  My best load of 11.0g of 1680 with the 208g ELD-M was .5" at 50-yards which should translate to 1 MOA at 100.  Using a Meprolight RDS red dot was better employed at 50 for real accuracy testing.

I avoided the 300 BO for a long time.  I shouldn't have.  I'll probably experiment with lighter bullets in a 16" barrel setup at some point in the future since I'm set up to reload for the caliber now.  I'm just finding the suppressed, short-barrel, 300 BO to be an extremely effective 100-yard gun.  Maybe not so much as a "game" gun, but for varmints, defensive, and just plain fun it's an amazing round.  I'll develop a 16" for supers if I want a better game rifle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Recently started a .300 BO build. Using a 9" Mr Blonde barrel with a 10" KMR
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 8" BA 300 "Modern" does supers well. But not so good with subs, at least without can. It will cycle them, but not let the the bolt hold open on last round. Tried buffer and LW BCG, still cycles subs, but no bold hold open. Will try a Nemo spring. For subs, tried the Hornaday Black 208s and Rem 220s.

All tests above w/o can, and standard pistol/carbine spring and buffer.
View Quote
This is what I found with my 8" Modern as well. Wont hold open, and every now and then wont pick up the next round. Standard spring and carbine buffer.

Curious with your results with the lighter spring.

Please update.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is what I found with my 8" Modern as well. Wont hold open, and every now and then wont pick up the next round. Standard spring and carbine buffer.

Please update.
View Quote
A lightweight buffer spring will get you running. Tubb's and GunSprimgs carry them
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Will do. Spring arrived, very light (1.15 oz), and shorter than normal carbine (10"). Probably won't have time to test at range for a week or two, but the pull is noticeably lighter than standard spring.

Quoted:

Please update.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Will do. Spring arrived, very light (1.15 oz), and shorter than normal carbine (10"). Probably won't have time to test at range for a week or two, but the pull is noticeably lighter than standard spring.
View Quote
Did the spring work?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorry, still have not had a chance to get range time with it.

Originally Posted

By Christopher67:

Did the spring work?
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:15:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you shoot any supers suppressed?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top