Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 9:46:13 PM EDT
So after a few years of being without any AR's I was finally able to buy a couple within the last couple of weeks. First one was a colt 6920 and the second is a 10.5" PSA with a PSA lower. I also ordered the "full auto bolt carrier" just because it was such a good deal with the magpul D60.

To finish it off I need a brace. What do you recommend?

This will be my dedicated "truck gun"
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Shockwave blade.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
That was what I was leaning towards. And with that...I'll need to take off the buffer tube that's on it right now, correct? I have no problem doing this, I've just never done it before

Will I need a special tool to take it off and put the new one on?

My next step is to build my own rifle so I can learn.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shockwave blade.
View Quote
This. Light, easy to install and works. Here is one of my 10.5".

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the original SB-15 since it looks and feels like a real stock. I have the SBX which is good too. The FDE version is only $79.95 on joebobs.

www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sig_Sauer_SB15_Pistol_Stabilizing_Brace_FLAT_DARK_p/sig-psb-ar-fde.htm
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The Brace you select will also depend on what features, functions, & performance you want out of your pistol.

Many on this site will always say to go with the cheapest option.  But that is rarely also the best option (depending on what you want and/or need).  

If you want light, simple, and inexpensive, I'd go with the Shockwave Blade.
If you want comfort while shooting, then one of the SB Tactical Braces might be the better choice.
If you want all the bells & whistles possible, then you should check out the Maxim Defense or soon to be released Gear Head Works Tailhook Collapsible Braces.

And to mix things up more... including something like the Law Tactical Folding adapter into the equation might make your head explode.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
BOOM!

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the SBPDW brace on my Noveske 12.5 and I like it more than I thought I would.  It's the collapsable brace with three positions.  I felt kind of stupid paying that much for a brace, but it cost a little lower than it would have been to SBR the lower with engraving and all, and I didn't have the long wait.

ETA:  It has been brought to my attention that my post could be misconstrued to mean that I purposely built my AR with a brace instead of a stock to use as an SBR without the wait and tax stamp.  This is not what I meant.  I meant that I built an AR PISTOL with a brace instead of an SBR because I would rather pay for a brace and build the pistol, to be used as a pistol, instead of enduring the wait times for an SBR.  Just wanted to clarify.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Everyone is different.  But, I like the Thordsen.  The fit, quality, and comfort have been excellent.
http://www.thordsencustoms.com/ar-pistol/cheek-rest-kits/
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I've tried the Thordsen Custom buffer tube and cover with a CAA saddle, and it is a bit lighter, but I still prefer the Sig Brace.  

I don't know which PSA 10.5" upper you have, but the lightweight KeyMod and M-Lok fore ends help keep the weight down on a 10.5" pistol.  They offer all the flexibility of a quad rail (plus some as you can hang rails on 8 sides instead of 4, giving you 45 degree mount options), but without any unnecessary weight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Shockwave is probably the best overall right now. The Tailhook mod 2 and mod 3 are looking very promising but they're not available yet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#11]
double tap.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I have both the Sig brace and shockwave. I like the shockwave much better. The 5.56 barely recoils so the blade works perfectly. If I were doing this on a 7.62, I'd probably go with the Sig because it is softer and spreads recoil over a wider area. Shockwave is lighter which is what I want on a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an SB47 on an AK Draco pistol and several Shockwaves on ARs. I also tried mocking up my own Thordsen with a carbine buffer tube and a CAA saddle from my spares bin.

I didn't care for the Thordsen setup, too short for me. Also added a lot of width to the pistol, and for me wasn't much more comfortable than a padded tube. Going with a longer buffer tube would have been a better option but the Shockwave is adjustable, light & cheap. Good choice for a folder as well.

Two of mine use the Shockwave tube with the dimples and one already had a pistol tube so I just guesstimated the length and dimpled it with a drill bit. I'd recommend using a thicker walled commercial tube, that's what mine was and I seemed to have a good bit of depth to work with. The set screw doesn't need much to keep it in place. Or you can just crank down on the screw and let it dent the tube. I didn't want to risk loosening the nut in the brace. A small punch would also be an option, that's what I started with before drilling my pilot hole.

The SB brace is short, thick & heavy, works fine for the Draco but would be too short IMHO for an AR, especially a blowback. For an AR something like the SOB's longer length would be a better option. But for the money SB wants for their braces I'd rather wait for the Tailhook mod 2.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Easy answer.

SBM4.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the Shockwave blade kit on alot of my builds and I love it.  Just clean and easy to install

Here it is on a build I finished today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Gearhead Works Tailhook. It doesn't add unnecessary weight and actually works well as a pistol brace.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Tailhook
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I just love that there are so many options 

SBM4 is the best in class for appearance and comfort

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Which receiver extension is that? Just curious as I might be building another with the tailhook.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a big fan of the Shockwave cause of the KAK 6061 aluminum buffer tube.

VLTOR A5 tube and LAW Tactical folding adapter with the Sig brace fully installed onto the tube.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Brace you select will also depend on what features, functions, & performance you want out of your pistol.

Many on this site will always say to go with the cheapest option.  But that is rarely also the best option (depending on what you want and/or need).  

If you want light, simple, and inexpensive, I'd go with the Shockwave Blade.
If you want comfort while shooting, then one of the SB Tactical Braces might be the better choice.
If you want all the bells & whistles possible, then you should check out the Maxim Defense or soon to be released Gear Head Works Tailhook Collapsible Braces.

And to mix things up more... including something like the Law Tactical Folding adapter into the equation might make your head explode.

View Quote
This guy is right.   I have both.   I agree completely.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not a big fan of the Shockwave cause of the KAK 6061 aluminum buffer tube.

VLTOR A5 tube and LAW Tactical folding adapter with the Sig brace fully installed onto the tube.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108486/IMG-2347-211164.JPG
View Quote
True on the relative softness of the KAK tube, however, as long as you're aware of that when torqueing down the castle nut I have not found it to be an issue.  I'm able to simply chuck up the lower in a magwell vise tool and hold the tube with one hand while using the armorer's wrench to apply final torque.  That sounds like a 3-handed job, but it's not if you're careful.  Just keep the tube from turning with the castle nut, and you're good-to-go.

Yeah, the LAW folder...a really nice piece IMO.  I have one on my 300BO pistol with a KAK Blade and love it.  Not dissin' the SB at all, just like the weight, style, and function of the Blade.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#23]
maxim is nice and small, but pricey
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So after a few years of being without any AR's I was finally able to buy a couple within the last couple of weeks. First one was a colt 6920 and the second is a 10.5" PSA with a PSA lower. I also ordered the "full auto bolt carrier" just because it was such a good deal with the magpul D60.

To finish it off I need a brace. What do you recommend?

This will be my dedicated "truck gun"
View Quote

If you decide on the Shockwave, shoot me an IM
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I just purchased one of SB Tactical's SOB.  It is in my opinion almost perfect.  Adds considerable length when put on a standard pistol buffer tube.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you decide on the Shockwave, shoot me an IM
View Quote
Didn't see his until now. Picked up a shockwave two days ago from a local shop. Got it installed and it feels pretty good!

I got another notice from Palmetto that the Vortex red dots with 10 mags were back in stock for $199 so I picked that up for the pistol as well. Just need a smaller case for it to throw it in the back of the Jeep.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try and get a pic up of it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Shockwave. Hands down the best IMO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#28]
My favorites are the SB Tactical PDW and Gear head Tail Hook

Tail Hook

SB Tactical PDW
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#29]
BTW, here are a couple of pictures of the Maxim Defense CQB Collapsible Brace:

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I went with the shockwave on all my pistol builds because we weren't allowed to shoulder them.  The brace was mostly for looks until my form1 came back and I could put on a real stock.  The shockwave isn't even remotely comfortable to shoulder or cheek weld.  Now that we,re allowed to shoulder them, I dropped the coin for the sb tactical sob.  

If you're just looking for a placeholder, the shockwave is hard to beat at $38.  If you're looking for something to actually hang onto for a while, I'd say don't cheap out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#31]
What pistol tube is the longest?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I love my Shockwave Blade and I do not find it uncomfortable at all to cheek weld.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Shockwave Blade for me
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shockwave Blade for me
View Quote
yep while the other are "cooler" the price is fucking stupid
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#36]
So many rich people here. I'm jelly. I just use the Sig brace because it looks good and it's the cheapeast, and I don't like the KAK. Sig was selling the SB-15 in FDE on their site for $54 a couple days ago, go take a look...

Edit - Today SBX is $59:
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sbx-pistol-stabilizing-brace.html
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So many rich people here. I'm jelly.......
View Quote
It's not about rich people, it's about priorities. I rarely eat out, don't smoke, don't drink much in bars. Have not had a car payment in 12 years.

Its all about how you use your money.

Oh, and the SBTactical PDW brace is flipping outstanding!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Everyone is different.  But, I like the Thordsen.  The fit, quality, and comfort have been excellent.
http://www.thordsencustoms.com/ar-pistol/cheek-rest-kits/
View Quote

Whole  heartedly  agree.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top